Sponsored

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
No GT350 analysis here but I've done a few Blackstone reports over the years. I've concluded it's a waste of time as there is really nothing I can do with the results other than drive myself nuts. Cut the filter open - that's where the money is.

OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
So nobody sends a sample before you change to see if needs to be changed, or keeps increasing change interval based on results?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I do. Blackstone labs. I do it for monitoring and documentation. Like mentioned, not much you can do, but I think if something major was going on, the analysis will pick up on it.

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
I performed oil analysis on jets for 7 years when I was in the Air Force. It can be a valuable tool if used properly. A number of samples taken at specific intervals are best, as there you can see if a trend is developing.

However, without knowing what the wear metals are, where they are located in the engine, and the allowable limits (usually listed in parts-per-million (ppm)), then it's really not of much help.

For example, let's say the report lists 8 ppm for aluminum (AL). Is that good? Bad? How would you know, unless the manufacturer specifies what the acceptable limits are? Unless you have that data, then I feel its usefulness is limited.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think oil analyses could be a great tool for an auto manufacturer as part of trouble shooting any issues with premature engine wear. I don't see a strong reason for an individual to do it. I've gone through a list of oil analyses that someone posted on here and I didn't see patterns in the results that led me to any conclusions about one oil versus another. My take away was that usage and possibly oil change interval length are bigger factors than oil brand. I would rather use the manufacturer's recommended oil and change it frequently than use a boutique brand and not change it as much.

3er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi Q7 Prestige, 2016 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4, 2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium
There's plenty you can do with oil analysis. Namely, selling your car sooner than later if abnormal wear is found. It's also a great bonus if all is well and you're selling your car - additional comfort for the buyer.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
There's plenty you can do with oil analysis. Namely, selling your car sooner than later if abnormal wear is found. It's also a great bonus if all is well and you're selling your car - additional comfort for the buyer.
Agreed...... All of the above.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Oil analysis for me falls into the same category as a EGT too much information :)

Though I have debated it..

OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
With the voodoo engine and Ford's varying change interval I was thinking there might value in sharing our results especially those sticking with motorcraft oil. Who knows maybe those oil burners might show something

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I performed oil analysis on jets for 7 years when I was in the Air Force. It can be a valuable tool if used properly. A number of samples taken at specific intervals are best, as there you can see if a trend is developing.

However, without knowing what the wear metals are, where they are located in the engine, and the allowable limits (usually listed in parts-per-million (ppm)), then it's really not of much help.

For example, let's say the report lists 8 ppm for aluminum (AL). Is that good? Bad? How would you know, unless the manufacturer specifies what the acceptable limits are? Unless you have that data, then I feel its usefulness is limited.
Blackstone compares your numbers to averages they have seen from the same engine lineup.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I always send my oil in. I use Blackstone labs. Here was my first oil analysis on my former GT350.
Gt350 Oil Report1.jpg

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I do UOAs on my GT350, and occasionally on my daily drivers (first oil change on a new car or a used car to test break in an engine health respectively).

A Blackstone UOA on my old Saab 9-2X Aero (Subaru WRX) indicated high silicon levels which could be caused by a bad air filter. I inspected the filter and sure enough, there was a tear in the filter media.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S

Exactly - no prescribed limits for anything.

Aircraft Turbines are different. The ones I specialize in have a 900 hour oil life and they don't burn oil. That's like 270,000 miles and possibly many years on the oil. The manufacturer has recommended limits and will request re samples should certain metals be high. Most of the time it's something like the threads on the filter housing. But it's certainly of high value when you can identify which part it came from due to the many specific metals involved. It's life or death with planes. Even then It can be an Excercise in futility where you are chasing ghosts and hoping for the best only to find after a tear down and repair and 25 more operating hours that you didn't find the problem. Not sure cars have enough distinct alloys. Trying to catch a water pump failure between oil changes and waiting for results just seems like a waste of time. And panicking about what may or not happen is not how I want to operate. Ymmv. If you have significant metal making, you can see it in the filter. Otherwise, let it eat! :D:cheers:

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I haven't done any yet, but it might be interesting to see what an analysis might show. My GT350 does consume oil pretty quickly compared to my other cars, so maybe I'll try out the analysis service if I ever get motivated enough.

-T
Sponsored