On the fence about MGW

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
"You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your car and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and you find out how great the MGW shifter truly is."
Sponsored

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Just swapped the fluid. I only have 1900 miles on the car so I didn't think there would be too much of a noticable difference but boy was I wrong. First impression is that it is much smoother and there's no more gear nibble. The shifts are much more pleasant now. I feel like I'm no longer hurting my car when I drive it lol. Definitely worth the money for the fluid swap. The stick just glides right in. Much less noise as well so that's a plus.
You think that it is sufficient for you now? Or are you planning on doing anything else? I'm glad it worked out! :cheers:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
"You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your car and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and you find out how great the MGW shifter truly is."
:lol::headbang::thumbsup:

OP
OP
Desta

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
You think that it is sufficient for you now? Or are you planning on doing anything else? I'm glad it worked out! :cheers:
I think it'll hold me off for now. I'm sure the MGW is as great as everyone says it is and I'll put it on the to-do list... but for now I feel no urgency to swap the shifter out. The BG really smoothed things out.

bandit67

Mustang Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2007 SPJ 302, 2019 Ranger
The stock GT shifter SUCKS. I knew it sucked immediately because I put the MGW on my 2007 and it made a huge improvement, and being that I had a great shifter to compare to, I hated the stock '15 shifter from the start.

And man, did the MGW fix EVERY issue I had with the 2015 shifter from the factory. I also went with the short GT350 stick from MGW so I could install my GT350 shift knob with no modifications to the knob. The setup I now have is INCREDIBLE.

However, if your stock shifter doesn't PISS you off EVERY time you drive, then you don't know any better, and you can get away with not purchasing the MGW. But if you do end up ever getting the MGW, once installed, you will ask yourself how you ever could think the stock shifter was ok.

Sponsored

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
I think it'll hold me off for now. I'm sure the MGW is as great as everyone says it is and I'll put it on the to-do list... but for now I feel no urgency to swap the shifter out. The BG really smoothed things out.
Yeah, I would do that. If you have the chance to drive a car with an MGW, take it. Maybe you will like it! Otherwise, happy shifting!

4orceFed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Equip.Group 400A
I was on the fence as well. Fortunately, another member and good friend (@db252) let me drive his car today. I'm going to pull the trigger after the experience. Like everyone says, it's waaaaaaaay better than the stock shifter. Feels precise and smooth.

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
Here's my 2 cents;

Feel is subjective, so do what you want there.

The objective part is the 2 problems that the MGW fixes, which have same root - damn stupid remote shifter mounting. Stock shifter is misaligned from tranny at very high rpms, and under significant cornering loads, resulting in locking out from your next gear, and nibbling syncros, which will in time destroy the tranny.

I shift at redline a lot on the track, and under high G loads too. And I love my MGW :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Desta

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
Just wanted to give a little update...I couldn't resist. I ordered the MGW a couple of weeks ago. Standard Race Spec with flat stick and weighted gripper ball (stainless inserts). It's going to be here tomorrow and I'm going to install it tomorrow night. I will report back. Hopefully the MGW + BG II will satisfy my desires, lol!

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I'm going to wait until the stock clutch goes then replace clutch and shifter together.

Sponsored

bandit67

Mustang Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2007 SPJ 302, 2019 Ranger
Ive been able to put some time & miles now on my MGW. Even in just daily driving, the MGW is so much better than stock. I found I was probably shifting into the wrong gear or missing shifts even more when commuting than driving hard in track situations, but still had issues there too with the stock setup.

Since installing the MGW, I find it's easier to feel the shifter position to know what gear I'm in if I'm in traffic and not paying close enough attention to the gear. For me, that's been an issue with every 6 speed I've had with a stock shifter - wasn't so much an issue with the 5 speeds I've owned.

I did the GT350 short shaft and GT350 shift knob on my MGW, and for me, that setup is perfect. Even makes the commuting experience so much better.

OP
OP
Desta

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
Ive been able to put some time & miles now on my MGW. Even in just daily driving, the MGW is so much better than stock. I found I was probably shifting into the wrong gear or missing shifts even more when commuting than driving hard in track situations, but still had issues there too with the stock setup.

Since installing the MGW, I find it's easier to feel the shifter position to know what gear I'm in if I'm in traffic and not paying close enough attention to the gear. For me, that's been an issue with every 6 speed I've had with a stock shifter - wasn't so much an issue with the 5 speeds I've owned.

I did the GT350 short shaft and GT350 shift knob on my MGW, and for me, that setup is perfect. Even makes the commuting experience so much better.
Awesome! I'm getting excited. As soon as the package arrives this afternoon I'll get to work installing it. I'll have the car waiting on the quickjacks.

TBH I've never really had too many issues with the stock shifter when it comes to missed gears, I just don't like the way my 1->2 feels and would like to tighten things up in general. I guess when people compared the MGW's action to that of a bolt action rifle I couldn't stand the thought of not having one!

Did it take a while for the MGW to loosen up?

s550_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Awesome! I'm getting excited. As soon as the package arrives this afternoon I'll get to work installing it. I'll have the car waiting on the quickjacks.

TBH I've never really had too many issues with the stock shifter when it comes to missed gears, I just don't like the way my 1->2 feels and would like to tighten things up in general. I guess when people compared the MGW's action to that of a bolt action rifle I couldn't stand the thought of not having one!

Did it take a while for the MGW to loosen up?
did swapping the trans fluid help with shifting from 1st to 2nd notchy feel?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Desta

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
did swapping the trans fluid help with shifting from 1st to 2nd notchy feel?
For me, it's still notchy but it doesn't nibble any more.
Sponsored