Sponsored

MGW install kicking my @$$

rj67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP Competition Orange
Vehicle Showcase
We can always take it to Oceana and I can drive your car on base. It's like $5/hour for a lift :)
Rodger that!
Sponsored

Driversound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
This step is the hardest part of the install for me as well. What I did was unbolted the driveshaft support so I can pull the driveshaft lower. I know it's hard to pull on the tranny/driveshaft while you're on jackstands while also trying to put that bolt in but somehow I managed to do it.

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Can you grind a flat spot on the bolt & washer to get past the hang up?

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
This step is the hardest part of the install for me as well. What I did was unbolted the driveshaft support so I can pull the driveshaft lower. I know it's hard to pull on the tranny/driveshaft while you're on jackstands while also trying to put that bolt in but somehow I managed to do it.
I'm going to get back to this tomorrow.

Why did you do that rather than unbolt the DS from the trans? On my GT, the DS to trans bolts are easy to get to but the support (if I understand what that is) is above the resonator and I don't see how you could unbolt it without dropping the exhaust first.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Can you grind a flat spot on the bolt & washer to get past the hang up?
Good idea. But by itself it wouldn't be enough, at least on my car. I can see the bolt head would still hit before the bolt was level enough to go in. Maybe what else I do isn't enough.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Boomba was so easy
And doing nothing is easier than Boomba. I like easy, but it sure isn't the top priority. Boomba may be better than stock, but the MGW is better yet.

I didn't want "some" improvement over stock, I wanted the most possible, so passed on the Boomba.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
When I did my install, I put 2 short 2x4's between the tranny crossmember and the frame.
That way the tranny stayed down the whole time I did the shifter install.
Thanks.

I can see how it would hold it down but 2 questions?

How did you get it down enough to get the 2x4s in? My problem is I can't pull it down far enough for even a 3rd party to get the bolt in so couldn't pull it down enough to get something thick enough in between the cross-member and car.

Were you worried about tearing the rubber? The cross-member is two metal parts sandwiching a thick layer of rubber which appears to just be bonded together by some adhesive. That is okay since the sandwich is normally in compression. But the 2x4s would be between the car and the bottom metal piece (the top is no wider than the rubber). I would be worried the bottom metal part could just pulls free from the rest.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
By the way please be careful if you guys intend on yanking on the trans while under the car. You don't want to break the motor mounts and have it drop on you. Or worse.. Shake the car off the jackstands
Actually, shaking the car off the jack-stands while under it is my plan B if all else fails. LoL

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It's too easy to drop the driveshaft. Makes life really easy.
It sounds great. Does that let the trans hang enough to get this bolt in without pulling the trans down some more?

Sponsored
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
You could just dent the heat sheild a tad...
LoL, at first I thought you were commenting on the post above yours and saying some heat shield on the bottom of the car could get dented if the car fell off the jack stands.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Slide an eight foot two by four under the car, tie a rope from the end of that to the tail shaft of the tranny. Use a block of wood between the two by four and the car frame. On the other end of the two by four you can now use a jack to raise that end of the wood which will pull down the tranny. Upside down seesaw, see!

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
When installing the barton shifter, the transmission cross member is removed completely. Is that a part of the MGW install ?

When installing the same bolt in mine I had zero issues with space. When doing the same on a friends car, it was a bit more of a hassle for the same reason you are having. With the cross member removed, there is enough space to pull down on the transmission and create space.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
When installing the barton shifter, the transmission cross member is removed completely. Is that a part of the MGW install ?

When installing the same bolt in mine I had zero issues with space. When doing the same on a friends car, it was a bit more of a hassle for the same reason you are having. With the cross member removed, there is enough space to pull down on the transmission and create space.
The MGW install videos say to unbolt the cross-member from the car but leave it bolted to the trans. The stated reason is to ensures the transmission isn't over raised when buttoning up.

I'm not seeing how also unbolting the cross-member from the transmission and removing it would help. In fact removing it would mean you have to pull down even harder, admittedly not much, because the cross-member weight isn't helping.

When you say you had zero issues with space, do you mean the bolt would go in without ever touching the tunnel or that it was easy to get your arm/hand up there? I'm not having any issue with space for my hand even with the cross-member in place. My transmission is just significantly closer to the tunnel than the bolt is long even when pulled down as much as I can laying on my back.

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
The MGW install videos say to unbolt the cross-member from the car but leave it bolted to the trans. The stated reason is to ensures the transmission isn't over raised when buttoning up.

I'm not seeing how also unbolting the cross-member from the transmission and removing it would help. In fact removing it would mean you have to pull down even harder, admittedly not much, because the cross-member weight isn't helping.

When you say you had zero issues with space, do you mean the bolt would go in without ever touching the tunnel or that it was easy to get your arm/hand up there? I'm not having any issue with space for my hand even with the cross-member in place. My transmission is just significantly closer to the tunnel than the bolt is long even when pulled down as much as I can laying on my back.
Barton video says to remove the cross member completely. I guess it just isn't that big of a deal either way, but it did give me more space under the car.

On my car that bolt access wasn't difficult. On a friends, I had issues with clearance where you are. We just pulled down on the tail of the tranny more to gain room and push the bolt in. The sound deadening material / fire retardant material was what the bolt head was pushing against, like your pic.

Just FYI, we also did both cars on jack stands. Can you elevate the car higher ? Both cars we did the barton's on had the Steeda jacking rails. My friend's had the newer lower profile version.
Sponsored