Sponsored

My clutch replacement the good and bad .

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
I wanted to up grade my stock clutch because of my plans to add more horse power .. I have already added HD axles and other items to prepare for more HP .. The clutch was the last thing to upgrade on my list ..

I ordered a Exedy Mach 500 clutch as well as Exedys light weight SFI approved flywheel .. I got these parts from American Muscle ...I have had the parts for some time just waiting for some spare time to install them .. So Weds I was ready to do the install .. I pulled the trans and got the new flywheel in place and opened the box for the clutch and guess what ? They sent me a 10 spline clutch disc .. The car calls for a 23 spline disc ..I got American muscle on the phone and told them of the problem ..Just my luck they didn't have one in stock .. Many calls and many Emails to Alex to solve the problem , and they did .. American muscle got a hold of Exedy and Exedy UPS overnighted me a new 23 spline disc ..Alex and the guys at American Muscle did a great job getting me the right part and did it timely manner ..Thumbs Up to American Muscle ..:thumbsup:

So the install is done , Bleeding the clutch was a problem but we finely got it bled .

OK so the good part .. I have not got into the throttle yet but from the short time I have driven the car it feels great Vs the stocker .. A bit more peddle pressure but not bad ..I had also replaced the clutch line with a Steeda Braided clutch line at the same time .. The clutch has more feed back than the stocker , feels more like a linkage type clutch now ..Engine braking is much stronger than factory ..You have more feel of the clutch engaging point . The lighter flywheel seems to have freed up some HP , it revs up much faster now ..I'm sure it's not making more HP but the lighter flywheel lets you get to the HP quicker ..

Now the bad .. None of this is too bad but you will feel and hear some sounds you didn't hear with the stock clutch .. With the car out of gear and clutch out idling you can now hear the gears in the M82 Trans rotating .. Push in the clutch and it goes away ..I can also feel the trans rotation in the clutch peddle .. Goes away with the clutch engaged .. I think the clutch line and slave still have some air in it because you can feel and hear a bit of squishing, crunching when pressing the peddle .. That should go away once all the air is out of the system ... The gear noise is most likely going to stay ..It may get quitter with some break in time ..( I hope ) I think the reason for the extra noise is the clutch disc , it has bigger stronger springs in the hub and most likely are transmitting more vibration to the peddle and shifter .. I can live with that for the extra holding power the clutch has now( 40% more clamping pressure ) ..The disc also has about 25% more surface area for better gripping power than the stock clutch ..

It's possible with a fluid change might help with the sounds coming from the M82 trans .. That is something I might try if the sound doesn't go away with break in ..

The new clutch needs 500 miles of city driving to seat correctly before I start really beating on it , so said the paper work that came with the clutch from Exedy .. Once it has broken in I'll let you know if it quieted down or it stayed the same .. I'm waiting on a MGW shifter and a Dyno Tune at Coastal Dyno before I head back to the drag strip ..

Thanks again to American Muscle and Alex for their help ...:thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited:

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
You're brave.

:hail:

Sounds like you're ready for some serious HP!

OP
OP
smokinzx14r

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I noticed you did not have to do a crank re-learn after changing the flywheel like phunk did with his McLeod. Interesting!

OP
OP
smokinzx14r

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
I noticed you did not have to do a crank re-learn after changing the flywheel like phunk did with his McLeod. Interesting!
Oh I forgot that ... Yes I did the crank relearn with the sct x4 .. It was running fine but why take a chance ..:thumbsup:

Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
OP
OP
smokinzx14r

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
The crank relearn was very easy .. Only took a few seconds to do it .. The SCT walks you right though it ...

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
Does someone have a link for what "crank relearn" is?

Does this require the tuner scanner or is there another way of doing it?

Would the nGuage work?

OP
OP
smokinzx14r

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
Does someone have a link for what "crank relearn" is?

Does this require the tuner scanner or is there another way of doing it?

Would the nGuage work?
The Dealer can do it with a ford tool ..The sct x4 can do it .. I'm not sure if others can ..

Anytime you change the clutch or flywheel ford said it needs to be done.. If the crank pick up ( sensor or rotor ) gets out of adjustment the car will not run right ..

Dark Horse GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Black PP
Thanks for the detailed review. Going to be doing a clutch change myself soon.

Sponsored

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
Many calls and many Emails to Alex to solve the problem , and they did .. American muscle got a hold of Exedy and Exedy UPS overnighted me a new 23 spline disc ..Alex and the guys at American Muscle did a great job getting me the right part and did it timely manner ..Thumbs Up to American Muscle ..:thumbsup:

Thanks again to American Muscle and Alex for their help ...:thumbsup:
smokinzx14r - Sorry about all of the trouble again but I'm happy to hear that we along with Exedy we're able to get this out. I'm always around to help out as always. Drop me a line if anything and I look forward to see and hear what's next.

Alex

Magnetic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT pp
any new info on this swap? just curios to how the clutch is holding up and performing. Also i believe the noise your hearing at idle is chatter coming from the new flywheel since it is lighter they will make some noise that the stock ones don't make.

OP
OP
smokinzx14r

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
any new info on this swap? just curios to how the clutch is holding up and performing. Also i believe the noise your hearing at idle is chatter coming from the new flywheel since it is lighter they will make some noise that the stock ones don't make.
I'm still doing the 500 mile break in per Exedy paper work ..But with the new clutch line from Steeda it feels much better than the stocker ..Much more feel to the peddle .. Exedys paper work also stated you will hear more noise from the trans because the clutch disc more solid than the factory clutch .. It's really not too bad .. You will hear it at idle to 1000 RPMs with the clutch out, above 1000 RPMs it goes away ... As soon as you push the clutch in it goes away ..You can not hear it going down the road ..

Just the few miles ( 100 or so ) I can tell the clutch has more holding power ..It's not grabby , it just engages with a more solid feel ..The engine seems to rev quicker with the lighter flywheel .. I like that part ..:) The peddle has and inch of free travel now that it didn't have before ..Keep in mind I didn't not remove the helper spring .. The clutch feels like a old linkage type clutch that you could adjust the free play .. It should have come this way from the factory .. I don't know how much of this is the braided clutch line or the new clutch itself because I installed both at the same time ..

Before I can really test it the car needs to go for a tune for the new headers and I need to get my MGW shifter installed ..The shifter is about two weeks from being shipped out to me .. :cheers:

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
Keep us in the loop - I'd love to hear how it's going to hold up at the track but with their record I know you're going to be in great shape. Drop me a line if anything else in the meantime sir!

Alex
Sponsored