Upgraded Brakes - Upgrade stock or BBK

Bestia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Race Red Mustang
Ill be eventually going down the route of having the Whipple , so Im thinking about upgrading the brakes on my GT before this happens

my question - has anyone upgrade their stock brakes? rotors, fluid, lines and pads ? what kind have you got on, where did you source the parts and what was the cost?

or if you have Big Brake Kit

Which BBK kit did you get? do you recommend them?

what other options for BBK are out there? what did you Pay for it?

:cheers:
Sponsored

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
I looked into upgrading the brakes and to be honest from what I read there isn't much point. The factory 6 piston brembos are amazing. You could always upgrade the lines

[MENTION=21513]Burkey[/MENTION] have you looked into this?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I looked into upgrading the brakes and to be honest from what I read there isn't much point. The factory 6 piston brembos are amazing. You could always upgrade the lines

[MENTION=21513]Burkey[/MENTION] have you looked into this?
No, I haven't REALLY looked into it. I'm pretty happy with the braking so far, but a track day at Phillip Island may change that.
If anything, I'm likely to go to cross-drilled discs. I think they may take away a little of the initial bite (less surface area).
Not entirely sure why you think a Whipple dictates an upgrade to be honest. The stock brakes aren't the limiting factor unless you're overheating them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bestia

Bestia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Race Red Mustang
No, I haven't REALLY looked into it. I'm pretty happy with the braking so far, but a track day at Phillip Island may change that.
If anything, I'm likely to go to cross-drilled discs. I think they may take away a little of the initial bite (less surface area).
Not entirely sure why you think a Whipple dictates an upgrade to be honest. The stock brakes aren't the limiting factor unless you're overheating them.
To be honest, im pretty happy with the brakes at the moment as well. what irks me at the moment is the boaty feel of the suspension - which should be fixed soon with my KWS

the reason im looking at the upgrade is just like to have the extra reassurance that the car will pull up with the extra power

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest, im pretty happy with the brakes at the moment as well. what irks me at the moment is the boaty feel of the suspension - which should be fixed soon with my KWS

the reason im looking at the upgrade is just like to have the extra reassurance that the car will pull up with the extra power
Given that the factory brakes can easily lock the wheels (or would if not for ABS) any additional clamping force is basically redundant. You won't improve your stopping distances by fitting bigger brakes.
Unless of course you're looking for REPEATED consistency? Track days? :shrug:

Sponsored

stasik-a4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
I did 3 hard track days with out any issues which also includes John Bowe driving it. I have learnt that better pads are the way to go and lines upgraded together with brake cooling ducts is what im going with.

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
As others have said, the stock brakes are amazing. Have done a track day at Winton with no signs of brake fade.

One thing that would be worth upgrading is to a two piece rotor. Not for improvement in braking performance, but for the reduction in unsprung mass. This will improve handling, acceleration and braking performance.
Sponsored