Sponsored

Trending on /r/cars: 2019 Shelby GT500 to receive Ford's new N/A 7.0L V8 w/ DI

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
To me it just seems odd that they would wait this long to roll out a GT500 successor if all they were gonna do is put out a SC V8. I mean it's not like they haven't been putting them out since 2003.

Now if they were gonna come out with a TT or a large N/A or use electric motors to power the front wheels I can see the reason it would take them longer to roll something out, but a SC V8?? :shrug:
Could be that they want to milk the GT350 for another year. They might have been prepared to roll out a supercharged version whatever the name but stayed with the Shelby due to demand/cost recoupment :shrug: Regardless, it's time to get something out.
Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
All of it is interesting. Though I wish Ford would just go ahead and release some info. The one thing I hate is all the super secret this and that, then we get a car which is basically a modern version or year/model update of what we have already had.

I think this needs to be a 5.2v8 eco boost that can go fast straight and turn to wow me. If its just another S/C Shelby, then I would rather pick-up a GT350 and TT it. (Which is what I am heavily leaning towards right now..

StangFever2846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
Could be that they want to milk the GT350 for another year. They might have been prepared to roll out a supercharged version whatever the name but stayed with the Shelby due to demand/cost recoupment :shrug: Regardless, it's time to get something out.
Yeah, it was time a year ago. At this point they're gonna really have to put out something amazing to impress. The longer they wait to put out just another SC V-8 the more of a let down it'll be. I mean cmon I can drive up to Brenspeed in North Texas and have a Roush TVS supercharger put on my F150 for less than 10k and be making close to 600 rwhp (after a non-Roush dyno tune of course). On a damn truck! They even have guest accomodations onsite so you can kick back and relax while the work is being done. VMP has a SC supercrew running 11.2's in the quarter (4wd launch FTW!) in an otherwise stock truck. Supercharged Coyotes are a dime a dozen nowadays. Plus now Shelby American set the bar pretty damn high with their new widebody car. That's gonna be tough to beat!!

We didn't wait this long for an "also ran!" If all they were gonna do was put out a SC coyote regardless if its a 5.0 or 5.2 it shouldn't have taken this long. People are going to GM and Dodge in droves because all we're hearing from Ford is crickets. All I'm saying is that the longer they wait the better the car is gonna have to be cuz the bar just keeps getting set higher and higher.

Last edited:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
We didn't wait this long for an "also ran!" If all they were gonna do was put out a SC coyote regardless if its a 5.0 or 5.2 it shouldn't have taken this long. People are going to GM and Dodge in droves because all we're hearing from Ford is crickets. All I'm saying is that the longer they wait the better the car is gonna have to be cuz the bar just keeps getting set higher and higher.
Bingo bro!!! :thumbsup:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Come with a TT 5.2 and it would be a supreme engine as long as ford doesn't keep it bottled up.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Yeah, it was time a year ago. At this point they're gonna really have to put out something amazing to impress. The longer they wait to put out just another SC V-8 the more of a let down it'll be. I mean cmon I can drive up to Brenspeed in North Texas and have a Roush TVS supercharger put on my F150 for less than 10k and be making close to 600 rwhp (after a non-Roush dyno tune of course). On a damn truck! They even have guest accomodations onsite so you can kick back and relax while the work is being done. VMP has a SC supercrew running 11.2's in the quarter (4wd launch FTW!) in an otherwise stock truck. Supercharged Coyotes are a dime a dozen nowadays. Plus now Shelby American set the bar pretty damn high with their new widebody car. That's gonna be tough to beat!!

Well said.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
One thing for certain is, Ford is the best at surprising everybody ... Their engineers have consistently proven they know how to think outside the box and introduce products that innovate..

Did anybody expect how successful the Coyote engines would be, pre 2010? Sure everyone knew Ford was working on a 4.6 modular replacement but nobody could foresee the practical quantum leap ford has done for performance and standards..

When the GT350, the R and the GT were introduced it was almost like bizarro world. Frankly pre 2015 I would assume a new big NA flat plane crank exotica engine would be in the car the TT ecoboost is in and vice versa... how wrong were we?

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
One thing for certain is, Ford is the best at surprising everybody ... Their engineers have consistently proven they know how to think outside the box and introduce products that innovate..

Did anybody expect how successful the Coyote engines would be, pre 2010? Sure everyone knew Ford was working on a 4.6 modular replacement but nobody could foresee the practical quantum leap ford has done for performance and standards..

When the GT350, the R and the GT were introduced it was almost like bizarro world. Frankly pre 2015 I would assume a new big NA flat plane crank exotica engine would be in the car the TT ecoboost is in and vice versa... how wrong were we?
Omg omg omg omg omg...Lol.
Its gonna be insane!

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Come with a TT 5.2 and it would be a supreme engine as long as ford doesn't keep it bottled up.
If they want 800+ from a 5.0-5.2 V8, they will need two turbos.

Do they opt to use a Parallel Twin Turbo? Or will they explore a more advanced route with an AMG/BMW like Hot V?

If they spent $150m and 2.5 years on a supercharged V8, I will laugh... a SC 5.2 w/ PDI can maybe produce 725hp.....

A Twin or BiT can reach 150hp per liter.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Honestly these rumors keep getting crazier and crazier every day. This is getting ridiculous. Putting that engine in any Ford car makes no sense at all.
How does brand pride, marketing cachet, tons of sales, media accolades, and ecstatic fans not make sense?

Ford has the engineering prowess and the ecoboost tech down pat. The DOHC v8 strides have been monumental as well. And the haven't even shown their new v8 hand yet.

If anyone can beat down the demon engine without all the fuss the demon needs, it's Ford. Heck they can produce a current tech bored out ecoboost coyote/voodoo combo and whoop it up.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I was just reading an article from Hot Rod in 2010 where they hopped up a Boss 429 in 2010 with performance parts of that year and made a solid 650hp on pump gas.

If that could be achieved in 2010 on a 69-70 era block with 2010 non-EFI techno, there is no reason a modern SOHC 7.0L couldn't easily spit out 725hp with all the techno currently available, and still have good road manners.

The hindrances... CAFE and emissions, as always, will nanny that engine to death tho.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
I was just reading an article from Hot Rod in 2010 where they hopped up a Boss 429 in 2010 with performance parts of that year and made a solid 650hp on pump gas.

If that could be achieved in 2010 on a 69-70 era block with 2010 non-EFI techno, there is no reason a modern SOHC 7.0L couldn't easily spit out 725hp with all the techno currently available, and still have good road manners.

The hindrances... CAFE and emissions, as always, will nanny that engine to death tho.

Can a 7.0L SOHC (or DOHC) engine even fit in the current gen engine compartment? I imagine they would have to add length to the front of the car, and possibly a fraction to the width.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Ford had the same delima with the vintage one. Woildnt fit - but they made them fit.

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
I'd still like to see the aluminum Trinity back in the car with DI and TT. Ford could easily tune it over 800bhp.
Sponsored