Understanding Driving Modes in Ford Mustang S550

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT vert & 2018 Fury GT Vert & 2020 grabber Lime GT Vert
Hey guys, so i have had my mustang for 6 months now and with only 4k on the clock and still stock, something needs to be done lol. Anyway, i have a question for you guys... who here understands the principle of Driving Modes? I cant work out the difference, as in no extra power or anything like that. I have read so much stuff online but nothing really adds up... can some sheed some light on what modes is best driven on please...

Ps. I just want to add that i know track mode removes traction and snow mode is for snow, whats sports and sports + all about... thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored

King3o0o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
i think yours is an automatic judging by your profile.
D = Eco Mode
S = holds revs, downshift faster, and + throttle respond. Once you used the paddle it holds the gear and doesnt change until you either go back to D or use the paddel and it will keep bouncing off the limiter until u do so.
S+ = same as sport mode but more of everything.

try to jab to throttle and u will feel the difference.

i just use between D and S on daily even when i hit the national park S+ is too much lol.

05STNG

05 STNG
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
DIB Fastback V8 Manual
Manual

i think yours is an automatic judging by your profile.
D = Eco Mode
S = holds revs, downshift faster, and + throttle respond. Once you used the paddle it holds the gear and doesnt change until you either go back to D or use the paddel and it will keep bouncing off the limiter until u do so.
S+ = same as sport mode but more of everything.

try to jab to throttle and u will feel the difference.

i just use between D and S on daily even when i hit the national park S+ is too much lol.

I presume none of this applies to manuals?

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
Hey guys, so i have had my mustang for 6 months now and with only 4k on the clock and still stock, something needs to be done lol. Anyway, i have a question for you guys... who here understands the principle of Driving Modes? I cant work out the difference, as in no extra power or anything like that. I have read so much stuff online but nothing really adds up... can some sheed some light on what modes is best driven on please...

Ps. I just want to add that i know track mode removes traction and snow mode is for snow, whats sports and sports + all about... thanks in advance guys.
The driving modes act upon , power delivery, steering feel and if automatic , transmission shifting.

Normal mode allows for more passive accelarator , steering and transmission feel. Comfort driving

Sports mode allows for a quicker accelarator response with firmer steering and faster sharper transmission shifts.Spirited driving

Track mode allows for the above with option to disengange traction conrol and further increased steering firmness .Track driving

I hope this helps some.

OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT vert & 2018 Fury GT Vert & 2020 grabber Lime GT Vert
Thanks guys, might try it in S+ next time i take it out and see how i go.

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
As a way of demonstrating the difference in throttle response, hold the throttle at a steady level and cycle between the modes, you will notice the car actually slowing down once you hit "snow" mode.

I quite like the eagerness of Sport+.

JOS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
So please clarify for me that the only difference between s+ and track is the traction control off on track. Thought I noticed a difference could be just me?
Thank you

Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A
The calibration between sports and track mode is quite different especially in a manual. Sports mode has a slightly higher throttle percentage compared to actual throttle input so the car wants to 'get up and go' more with less throttle. Track is design for smoother up and down shifts so throttle response isn't quite as twitchy. Think of it as Sports mode was designed for drag racing and track mode was designed for up and down shifting while track driving. I daily drive mine in track mode everyday as on the manual, track mode is smoother than sports mode I find.

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
I daily drive in sport plus, Gt auto paddles only. Much smoother than standard through the box. Might have to give track a try, after all I swear my car has no traction control at all.

Sponsored

MustangDownUnder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If only the car came with a paper booklet that explains all of the nodes and features of the car.

Oh wait m
manuals-are-for-pussies_o_802138.jpg

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Dont use S+ until you've run in your tyres (500+km)... those P Zeros have zero traction for a while and its super easy to fish tail it until you're used to them and they're run in.

I daily drive S on the auto / S+ on the mode a lot... more fun...

Sometimes though it holds high revs for longer then Id like instead of shifting up, if you're in D you can tap the paddle up a gear then it will sort itself out and go back to auto. In S mode it keeps it in that gear until you change it.

Mqrko

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marko
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016
anybody find S and S+ not comfortable with bad road condition ? I have to lift off my foot otherwise it keeps lurching in the 1st or 2nd gear.
After the 3rd, it's okay.
Sponsored