Sponsored

Torsen vs. Limited Slip

BFord1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just got a '16 automatic GT and it has the 3.55 limited slip option. My understanding is that the Performance Pack was not available on the automatic. So, automatics don't have the "Torsen" differential as an option. But, mine has limited slip. What's the difference between a Torsen and limited slip? Or, is it the same thing?
I'm looking for traction. My car makes 730 rwhp and is in bad need of traction.
I'm new to the S550 but have owned Mustangs all my life. Sorry if this is a dumb question or if it is covered elsewhere in the forum.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the input.
Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I just got a '16 automatic GT and it has the 3.55 limited slip option. My understanding is that the Performance Pack was not available on the automatic. So, automatics don't have the "Torsen" differential as an option. But, mine has limited slip. What's the difference between a Torsen and limited slip? Or, is it the same thing?
I'm new to the S550 but have owned Mustangs all my life. Sorry if this is a dumb question or if it is covered elsewhere in the forum.
Get better tires. The pp torsen is not ideal for drag and typically killed quickly in high hp applications. There is no great solution for the new super 8.8 housing yet that I've found. Id stick with the trac lok that came in your auto. People go 8s on it

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
The Performance Pack was offered in an auto but only for 50th anniversary cars.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Torsen is a limited slip differential - just a brand name but it it's considered a better one than Ford Trac-loc one installed in non PP cars. But I don't think any LSD would help you with straight line traction in drag racing.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Torsen is a different style of rear gears. It is best for road coarse because it is able to put power down with both wheels while going around a turn. Normal rears can only put power down to both wheels in a straight lines. Basically it allow power to be put down even if the wheels are turning at a different speed, where a traditional posi rear locks both axles up together. There's a good video on the web somewhere if you search how a torsen rear works.