Sponsored

Tyre dilemma

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
So, have just taken deliver of my second Mustang, and am considering a couple of options re the tyres.

For reference, I live in semi-rural location, where the roads can get quite dicey in the winter, so am keen to ditch the P Zeros.

These are my options:
  1. Ditch the P Zeros, get some new MP4S. Sell the P Zeros and hopefully get a decent amount back as they only have 60 miles on them!
  2. Get some proper winter tyes. There's a place near me that offers free storeage, so I could use the P Zeros in the summer and winter tyres the rest of time.
What would you do?
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

1. Pzero is quite OK in Summer, also Pzero has being revised so newer builds could be on the new tyre, production 2016 onwards I believe, considerable improvements were made.
2. Buy a spare set of PP wheels and fit some good winter tyres, no Summer tyre will match a winter tyre for grip in freezing condition, even in dry as the rubber turns on much easier.

Or take your chances with a set of PS4S, great wet tyre so should do you well all year around but still be useless in snow.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
MPPS ran well through winter for me, I assume MP4S will too... Pzeros are useless in winter.

downthepub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miles
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW California
I've done 2) - have a set of Nokians full winters on a second set of PP Nickel wheels sitting in the garage. Car felt v secure on them last winter.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
i just ran the pzero's no issues even on sheet ice coming up my road but i'm kinda used to driving rear wheelers with large power so never really noticed still won't be putting pzeros back on when they do finally need replacing more grip is always appreciated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CaptainSensible

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
Thanks for the comments so far.

If I get winter tyres the garage will swap the tyres over for me, I wouldn't need to buy another set of rims.

I guess it boils down to how good the Michelins are in wet/icy weather, if they are decent then I guess I could just run those year round.

downthepub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miles
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW California
I wanted a second set of rims as changing tyres twice a year will increase wear on the alloy and may damage it. Also means I can swap them over at home. But yeah, if your garage can store your tyres then that's a big bonus!

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Pzeros are fine in any weather as long as you drive to the conditions. Never had a problem in 23000 miles (although to be fair, the rears only lasted 14000...)
:-)

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Pzeros are fine in any weather as long as you drive to the conditions. Never had a problem in 23000 miles (although to be fair, the rears only lasted 14000...)
that long? mine are just about bald at 4k

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
In dry the P Zeros are fine although a bit twitchy under hard acceleration but that may be from driving in Race mode with a 415bhp car! In rain, I switch to Normal and drive very carefully. No issues so far.

But yes it makes perfect sense to have a set of winter and summer tyres, don't get all season tyres as just compromising in both climates. Having said that, the Michellin cross climate tyre is very good but still a compromise.

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
Pzeros are useless in winter.
And so speaks the voice of inexperience.

PZeros are fine in the winter, they are rated at 7deg and above for 'optimum' grip, if you go about hooning on any tyre, in the winter, winter tyres or not, you'll get caught out.

I managed to not crash, spin out, lose it on track, shit myself when something goes past me in the relatively mild winter we get up here in hoop hoo land.

Experience should tell you to curb your enthusiasm, unfortunately, advice from inexperience will not help. We have a wet/snow setting for a reason. I'd save my money and get the wear out the stock tyres (you'll get next to fuck all for them), then get new tyres when needed.

'Undreds of us have done this over countless years (the same bellends jumped on the bandwagon when Clarkson rubbished the Bridgestone RE040's on the RX8). They're fine, just adjust your driving and enjoy the car.

Michelin are the daddy brand though :thumbsup:

:edit: I notice you're from way down south, you'll hardly ever get much below 7deg anyway

KevD

0-60 Instructor Team DS.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
bob
Vehicle(s)
balls
And so speaks the voice of inexperience.

PZeros are fine in the winter, they are rated at 7deg and above for 'optimum' grip, if you go about hooning on any tyre, in the winter, winter tyres or not, you'll get caught out.

I managed to not crash, spin out, lose it on track, shit myself when something goes past me in the relatively mild winter we get up here in hoop hoo land.

Experience should tell you to curb your enthusiasm, unfortunately, advice from inexperience will not help. We have a wet/snow setting for a reason. I'd save my money and get the wear out the stock tyres (you'll get next to fuck all for them), then get new tyres when needed.

'Undreds of us have done this over countless years (the same bellends jumped on the bandwagon when Clarkson rubbished the Bridgestone RE040's on the RX8). They're fine, just adjust your driving and enjoy the car.

Michelin are the daddy brand though :thumbsup:

:edit: I notice you're from way down south, you'll hardly ever get much below 7deg anyway
:lol:

KevD

0-60 Instructor Team DS.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
bob
Vehicle(s)
balls
:thumbsup:
Sponsored