Sponsored

25 year vette guy turns

Flat Rock Flyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'll preface this by saying that I'm brand loyal, to a point, but in the end I go with what works for me. I've owned 3 series Bimmers and Corvettes over the last 23 years, and had E-body Mopars before that. The most satisfying, exhilarating, flat out fun rides I've had (and wish I still did) were a `70 AAR Cuda and a `94 ZR-1 Vette...until now.

I thought that Ford finally got it right in 2015 as the lines of the Mustang were damned near perfect, and then came the GT350...wow. What a looker. But what finally pushed me over the edge to sell the vette go with the GT350 was simple: 8250. The Voodoo wails like any other engine I've owned since the LT5 in the ZR-1 (another hi revving DOHC unit), and unlike any other American made V8 for sure. I debated for a while about going to a GT PP with the Roush SC treatment, but in the case of the Shelby the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Anybody can get a GT with FI and have a helluva fun ride and crazy fast Mustang, but I'm telling you that once I heard the 5.2 and drove it for myself, I knew I made the right choice. When I say it's an experience that's stirring and soulful, I mean it really is an "experience". And of course it's not just the Voodoo, as the engineers for this machine really got it all to come together. Track time is a must in the not too distant future.

Anyway I thought I'd share my initial impressions, as I'm still getting to know this beast. I know there are faster rides out there than the Shelby, but there's more to it than just straight line speed. It's the same kind of deal as with Harley riders when they say, "If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand". I'm hooked and glad to be here.
Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Congrats on your LB 350 and continue to enjoy driving it! :thumbsup:

Now let's see pics of that beauty... glad to read you also now "get it." :D

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I'll preface this by saying that I'm brand loyal, to a point, but in the end I go with what works for me. I've owned 3 series Bimmers and Corvettes over the last 23 years, and had E-body Mopars before that. The most satisfying, exhilarating, flat out fun rides I've had (and wish I still did) were a `70 AAR Cuda and a `94 ZR-1 Vette...until now.

I thought that Ford finally got it right in 2015 as the lines of the Mustang were damned near perfect, and then came the GT350...wow. What a looker. But what finally pushed me over the edge to sell the vette go with the GT350 was simple: 8250. The Voodoo wails like any other engine I've owned since the LT5 in the ZR-1 (another hi revving DOHC unit), and unlike any other American made V8 for sure. I debated for a while about going to a GT PP with the Roush SC treatment, but in the case of the Shelby the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Anybody can get a GT with FI and have a helluva fun ride and crazy fast Mustang, but I'm telling you that once I heard the 5.2 and drove it for myself, I knew I made the right choice. When I say it's an experience that's stirring and soulful, I mean it really is an "experience". And of course it's not just the Voodoo, as the engineers for this machine really got it all to come together. Track time is a must in the not too distant future.

Anyway I thought I'd share my initial impressions, as I'm still getting to know this beast. I know there are faster rides out there than the Shelby, but there's more to it than just straight line speed. It's the same kind of deal as with Harley riders when they say, "If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand". I'm hooked and glad to be here.
Welcome to the club! I'm also not brand loyal, I go with whoever has the best product that fits my needs(or in this case, Wants), and this time around it's Ford with the GT350.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Just like the slogan 'snickers satisfies', so does the 350.
Congrats on the car.

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Similar story here- long time Porsche owner and I LOVE this new GT350R- can't wait for >5000 rpm!!

Sponsored

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Welcome to the convert club! :thumbsup:

I had two previous Fords, one in college and one as a company car. I've owned many brands: Chevy, Plymouth, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Honda, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Porsche. Obviously I'm not exactly brand loyal, but I normally prefer Japanese or German when it comes to sports cars.

Never thought I'd be back in a Ford again, but here I am. The GT350 is just one heck of car! :ford:

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I also told myself there is no way I'd ever own another Mustang over a decade ago. Mustangs were just straight line cars, and the specialty ones I saw were just too overpriced for me to get excited. Since then I have owned M's, Z06's, and Italian cars.

For me, I was at a dealer getting a part for my Raptor when I saw the lines of the GT350 on the showroom floor for the first time, and I fell in love with the looks immediately. I was shocked to see the $10K ADM on the window, and the salesman told me they have moved a lot of cars already at the $70K price tag. Being curious, I went home and got on the internet to see what the hype was all about... and after reading about the car and learning more about the car's engineering and Flat Plane Crank motor, I decided to seek a few out and try one.

A friend of mine owned an R, and I never really gave it any consideration nor did I ever go look at it or go for a ride since it was a mustang. Boy was I shocked once we went out for a test drive! The car became an obsession after that, and voila I now have my GT350!

And I absolutely love this car. My wife has commented that she hasn't see me this excited about a car in a very long time... it's that good!

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Similar background. I've owned 7 Corvettes, old to new (ZR1, Z06, etc).

First Ford ever for me, and I like it better than the vettes (well, my 71' is special).

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
You're turning to mustang and ill most likley be turning to vette (but keeping the 350) for the next car. Funny how things work out..

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
You're turning to mustang and ill most likley be turning to vette (but keeping the 350) for the next car. Funny how things work out..
I had narrowed down to the R or a Z06 during my search (370Z NISMO + twin turbo kit was a distant 3rd). In the end I think the Shelby name and that Red Badge w/chassis number pushed me to purchase the R. No offense to Vettes but they are a dime a dozen...even the Z06s are everywhere, well below MSRP. They are amazing machines but I think I made the right call for me...no regrets at all.

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Welcome OP. You summed it up well. When on cam this engine's personality is undeniable.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I had narrowed down to the R or a Z06 during my search (370Z NISMO + twin turbo kit was a distant 3rd). In the end I think the Shelby name and that Red Badge w/chassis number pushed me to purchase the R. No offense to Vettes but they are a dime a dozen...even the Z06s are everywhere, well below MSRP. They are amazing machines but I think I made the right call for me...no regrets at all.
Yeah, id definately take no current Vette for the 350R...no way. Now the mid engine talk, thats whats getting the juices flowing. Since i already have a 350R and the next GT500 is going to be supercharged, im leaning toward ME vette.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350

Similar story here- long time Porsche owner and I LOVE this new GT350R- can't wait for >5000 rpm!!
These examples echo my experiences too. Almost 15 years in 964/993 Porsches and high winding Japanese imports prior. Never really thought I'd own a domestic car but the Shelby has completely changed my mind. Quality issues aside, the car is simply amazing. The grin factor is beyond scale. Winding it out is a real pleasure but it's the handling that really brings it all together (I have a great winding road in the area that sees little traffic early in the day that goes for over 50 miles and the Shelby just is stunning)with that glorious exhaust not to prove what special cars these things are.

wasserott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 LB WS
Similar thoghts

I sold my beloved M3 I had for years and this is so amazing that the US can make such a great car. I still have my C6 Z06 which by comparison drives like a tank but is brutally fast, I will have a hard time letting it go but boy I for now k ow which one I'd rather drive for many reasons! America and Ford well done!

:usa:
Sponsored