post PPF treatment, Cquartz vs ?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I am looking to get a protective coat put on the new R as soon as it comes back from PPF. I reached out to a very well respected detailer in my area and he recommended Ardex clear coat sealant followed by two coats of Ardex Miami wax.

I know a lot of folks here are using cquartz on top of their PPF's.

I confess that I know nothing about sealants/protection on top of PPF. My goals are to provide film protection from environmental issues (acid rain, bird crap, water spots, etc) as well as enhance the film to resist additional damage (debris impact, pebbles, road debris, etc).

Has anybody researched which products are best to give additional film protection after the Xpel is installed?

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
CQuartz Finest Reserve is about the best from what I've heard when it comes to the ceramics. It won't really help protect it more, but it will help it look better and I easier to clean etc.

Or this is another option I've heard good things about and may help in the protection area a little better.

http://gtechniq.com/about-gtechniq/crystal-serum/

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I never understood the point of putting ceramic coatings on top of PPF. PPF is self healing, coating the top of that with a ceramic coating seems counter intuitive to me. Honestly I think it's just a way of relieving you of some of your money.
I saw my Suntek before and after they applies the coating over it and it definitely looked better/had more pop wow factor with the coating. I think this is color dependent as well. Just my opinion obviously.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
The coatings do provide some protection just not from debris or impacts. Over PPF the main purpose is the shine it produces and ease of maintaining the clean car look.

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Personnaly, i wouldn't put any other means of protection over PPF, these cars are garage kept and just occasionally driven which i tink is OP's case.

A nice glaze-wax finish would do it for me, anything else is overkill , but that's just my 2 cents.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I use a spray wax, carnuba wax or synthetic paint sealant just to preserve the sheen on the PPF. Really no need to do any more. Now if you are paint only then yes, get some fancy long term protection. Quartz/Diamond Over PPF is wasted money IMO. As for this notion that PPF is self healing,it is to a degree. I have a variety of damage to the PPF that is never going to heal it self. The more you drive or track the car the more damage it will take and some will just render the area of protection ineffective. PPF is the best long term paint protection but it is not a lifelong magic bullet. I am actually having some replaced under warranty due to peeling and discoloration. I am glad because these same sections have tough road scars.

car crazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Using a coating such as cquartz, modesta, etc will interfere with the self healing properties of the Xpel PPF. Xpel is essentially plastic. To keep it in good shape, put some plexus on it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016144NPQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This will provide the look you want and keep the PPF in good condition.

BTW, a PPF such as xpel is way stronger and thicker than a coating. Coatings do not provide impact protection or protection from scratches.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Using a coating such as cquartz, modesta, etc will interfere with the self healing properties of the Xpel PPF. Xpel is essentially plastic. To keep it in good shape, put some plexus on it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016144NPQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This will provide the look you want and keep the PPF in good condition.

BTW, a PPF such as xpel is way stronger and thicker than a coating. Coatings do not provide impact protection or protection from scratches.
^^^ I think many are applying quartz like coatings prior to applying PPF. That may be an option but to me it is seriously overkill. And as Car Crazy mentioned, you will have impact protection with PPF. I am certain that some of the scars on the PPF would have made impressions in metal and taken paint if it were not for the PPF. My front bumper has indentations from impact but the paint is still there. I was on the fence about PPF because of cost but in the long term and peace of mind, well worth it.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
All I'll say is this, I was skeptical as well, but not after the last couple of washes I've done to the car. I just hand wash it then use a made for ceramic coating quick detail spray and the results are amazing.

If it is this easy and looks this good for the next 5 years, I'll do it all again in a heartbeat. Except next time I'll do a full PPF over the entire car plus coating.

I talked to a few different detailers and I asked the specific question about the coating interfering with the self healing properties. They all said it didn't. Could they all be lying to me, maybe. As Zitro said it only self heals to a point anyway as I have similar scars from big rock hits. But, also like he said I'm positive they would've been down to metal rock chips had I not had the protection.

Sponsored

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
After mine was wrapped with PPF, I got a free Opti-coat pro coating.

"Free" meaning that the PPF installer scratched my rear bumper, repaired it so that I probably wouldn't have noticed it, told me about it when I picked up the car, and offered the coating as a way to make things right. Pretty good deal to me since I can't really see the scratch repair unless I'm at just the right angle with perfect lighting.

My experience is similar to [MENTION=24957]Minn19[/MENTION]. It definitely makes the car easier to clean. I had PPF for about 6 months before scheduling to have the Opti coat done, and the difference is pretty substantial. Rinse, wash, rinse, dry and it looks great.

However, if I had to pay for it, I'm not sure if I would do it or not.

B/Stock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350, 16' 2500 Duramax
I have Xpel on all impact areas with Cquartz on top and could not be happier. I'm not sure if it helps/hurts the PPF at all, but I went over the whole car as instructed by my installer. That Cquartz is amazing stuff, and I've tried everything in the past.

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Xpel full wrap + Ceramic Pro 9H Gold package on full car, wheels, calipers, lugs, all glass and interior. Stuff is awesome...gives the film pretty amazing hydrophobic qualities. I also like how it accents the magnetic metallic paint. He highs are higher and lows lower...great contrast between the appearance in direct sunlight and low-light/night. Highly recommend it.

http://ceramic-pro.com/en/shop/product-line/product/9h/

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark