Sponsored

Should I Attempt Lowering Spring Install Myself?

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Tired of my wheel-gap, looking to get a set of SR lowering springs from AM. Would love to do the install myself if at all possible.

I've done plenty of work on my own cars in the past (carb rebuilds, clutch hydraulics, exhausts, etc.) and I have a garage full of tools, just need to buy a spring compressor. I love the satisfaction of finishing a job knowing I did the work myself and that I saved $ in the process.

How involved is a lowering spring install? I've never done any kind of suspension work, but I feel like it can't be too complicated based on my experience level.

Have any of you guys done this yourself?
Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It's not too bad, I'm sure with your experience you can handle it. I bet CJ Pony parts or the like has a good video.

Just get a quality spring compressor and get familiar with it. That's the only "thing" with this job.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Plenty of videos online to help. Don't forget a pry bar.

You can also drive 6 hours to Atlanta and I can do it. ;)

EDIT: 7 hours specifically to the location I work on my car at... haha.

Reactions: QRK

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'm not sure about Florida, but in my neck of the woods you can remove your strut assemblies and take them to a local auto-parts store, and they will change out the struts for a very small charge, as they have a spring compressor machine and tools all set to go.

That way you don't have to screw around with a cheap, hard-to-use spring compressor kit in your drive-way.

FYI, a mechanic I know said he dropped the rear lower control arms to remove the rear springs. I don't if that's the correct way to do it, or if the bolts that need to be removed are one-time-use only. You may want to purchase a set of rear LCA bolts just in case.

OP
OP
QRK

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Thanks guys, can't wait to get it done.

Sponsored

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Tired of my wheel-gap, looking to get a set of SR lowering springs from AM. Would love to do the install myself if at all possible.

I've done plenty of work on my own cars in the past (carb rebuilds, clutch hydraulics, exhausts, etc.) and I have a garage full of tools, just need to buy a spring compressor. I love the satisfaction of finishing a job knowing I did the work myself and that I saved $ in the process.

How involved is a lowering spring install? I've never done any kind of suspension work, but I feel like it can't be too complicated based on my experience level.

Have any of you guys done this yourself?
Yes, I have, and I'd highly recommend renting one from a parts store rather than buying one. If you do things right the first time (shocks/struts, springs, camber plates or new strut mounts) you can swap whole for whole with like a dozen bolts. Far easier than dicking with compressing the stock ones, decompressing them, compressing the new springs, and decompressing those with everything assembled.

Also, why SR? Why not invest in a company that actually innovates stuff rather than blatantly ripping off other company's products?

OP
OP
QRK

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Yes, I have, and I'd highly recommend renting one from a parts store rather than buying one. If you do things right the first time (shocks/struts, springs, camber plates or new strut mounts) you can swap whole for whole with like a dozen bolts. Far easier than dicking with compressing the stock ones, decompressing them, compressing the new springs, and decompressing those with everything assembled.

Also, why SR? Why not invest in a company that actually innovates stuff rather than blatantly ripping off other company's products?
Nice, I'll look into renting one then. I looked at amazon real quick and the cheaper ones definitely look sketchy.

And to answer your question: price.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Just don't use the two piece spring compressors like I did from the local auto store that they loan out...it was a real pain as they kept slipping and easily added an hour or two to the job and was unnerving at times. The clam shell one piece type like they use on the videos is the only way to go.

I also used the kit from CJ Pony Parts to replace the non-reusable fasteners.

However, the springs I bought were the Ford Performance parts ones and they had red locktite and the instructions said it was okay to use that to reuse the fasteners. However, I had to pound the heck out of the strut bolts to get them out of the lower arm as they have splines (and I have a low mileage car that has never seen salt and rarely been in the rain). Even though I left the nut at the end to keep from damaging the end of the bolt, I felt better about having new ones to replace those.

There is also a thread entitled "Questions about lowering my 17 Mustang GT" that you should be able to search and find. For some reason my browser has been blocking my copy paste function lately or I would give you the link directly!

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I bet CJ Pony parts or the like has a good video.
Yep. This is the video I used to prepare for a spring install and I'm a professional tech. 'Twas super helpful.

[ame]

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's pretty easy to do yourself. Make sure that the isolators on the springs are on correctly or you will get an annoying rattle/chatter.

Sponsored

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
I'm a terrible wrench and I did both front and rear.

Don't borrow the cheapies from autozone or otherwise, they suck and be warned the rears can be a bear to get out, you might need help. I had to stand on the calipers and bounce to clear enough to remove the old spring.

Fyi harbor freight has a really decent spring compressor for a fair price. I'll dig up the code after work if someone else hasn't. *edit* it's 43753

Last edited:

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Question about the rear. do you have to drop the rr subframe or can you loosen the RR spring bucket? Ive read there was alot of prying on the rear axle, but it seemed really easy in that video.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a terrible wrench and I did both front and rear.

Don't borrow the cheapies from autozone or otherwise, they suck and be warned the rears can be a bear to get out, you might need help. I had to stand on the calipers and bounce to clear enough to remove the old spring.

Fyi harbor freight has a really decent spring compressor for a fair price. I'll dig up the code after work if someone else hasn't. *edit* it's 43753
FYI to make the rear easier when you have the lockout kit or the Steeda support kit: completely remove the main bolts from one side, and break the other side free so there's about 1-2 mm of air gap, but do not remove the bolts. That will give you enough to get the springs out without having to push on the arm much.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Rent a compressor fro HF. Save your receipt and take it back when done:lol: fronts are easy. Have a jack under the front lower control arm. Put some tension on it with the jack. It will make driving the bolts out easier. Also put camber bolts in now or camber plates. My car was just barely out of specs with the BMR springs. I had installed there camber bolts so I was able to get my camber in better specs.
For the rear. Drop subframe one side at a time. Use a prybar or have a friend step on,push down on the suspension to get that little bit more for the spring to drop out easier.
I did it all myself on the floor in 5 1/2 hours with hand tools. :thumbsup:
IMG_0522.JPG

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Also. Order wheel spacers now. Changes to even more aggressive look:thumbsup:
Sponsored