Sponsored

Resonator delete

stiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 V8 Manual Fastback, DIB
@stiggy

OK tried to replicate the noise on way home, only seems to happen under heavy braking from high speeds....
I'm inclined to agree mate. If there are no witness marks, that's good news as no rubbing.

The hooks sound like they are the culprit, I know the're pretty agressive on the pads, but that's really the point of them :)

Just drive slower ;)
Sponsored

MikeR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT Convertible Auto Magnetic Euro PP Custom Pk
I've been looking for a low cost option to improve the exhaust note of my car which is currently stock. I have been given an x-pipe off a Borla cat- back which I'm considering using in place of the central stock resonator. Does anyone have any experience of what this will sound like with stock back boxes please? eg loudness, tone, any drone? Thanks
Have a Ford Performance resonator delete X-Pipe with an otherwise standard factory system on a GT Auto. Measured on two occasions for track sound level test (4000-ish RPM, 1 meter from tailpipe) - 99 dB at one venue and 101 dB at another. No drone and tone consistent with a modern 32 valve, quad cam, V8. Plenty loud enough for an OMM convertible.

stiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 V8 Manual Fastback, DIB
Have a Ford Performance resonator delete X-Pipe with an otherwise standard factory system on a GT Auto. Measured on two occasions for track sound level test (4000-ish RPM, 1 meter from tailpipe) - 99 dB at one venue and 101 dB at another. No drone and tone consistent with a modern 32 valve, quad cam, V8. Plenty loud enough for an OMM convertible.
And a brand new one for sale in the classifieds too :)

chandlermaxwell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Fastback
So if you were planning on doing a Resonator Delete X Pipe and Roush Racing Axle Back kit, but you would have to do them one at a time, which would you do first?

Sponsored

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Resonator delete and Roush ABs are just about the loudest combo available.

The noise/volume is H U G E. Please do not underestimate it.

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Resonator delete and Roush ABs are just about the loudest combo available.

The noise/volume is H U G E. Please do not underestimate it.
You're bang right there!

Must do a video of mine and upload it (MRT Resonator delete H-pipe and Roush axle backs).

On a cold start it's the most insanely loud noise I've ever heard from a car and every cat in the neighbourhood disappears for about 30 minutes. The guys at the garage who fitted the resonator delete (I'd already had the RAB's on for a couple of months) reckoned I'd be back within a month once the local constabulary got within earshot of it... but so far so good.

Only problem is I could NEVER contemplate starting it [cold] between 9-10pm and 7am as there would be a lynch mob outside my door... and so far the neighbour to my left who I've always got on well with has held back on any adverse commentary, and the house to my right is currently empty.

Thing is, that after it's been running for about 30-40 seconds the note/volume drops by about 30-40%, and after a further 15-20 seconds it drops again, and finally after about a further 30-40 seconds later it reduces to an incredibly low/bass rumble that's as Bill from CJ describes it... 'like a cammed small block'. Needless to say, if I put my foot down, the devil rises again and windows start rattling!

I was really worried at first about how loud it was, but it's getting better with age (been on for about 300 miles so far) and the tone seems to be getting deeper every time I drive it.

Personally... I'd never change back now... it sounds just like a V8 should and I love it, and reverting to just RAB's would to my mind be as bad as going back to stock! Theses cars need to be seen and heard!

sheps5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep impact blue 2015 GT
I had a ford racing x pipe and roush axle backs on when I got my headers installed. :shocked: Now everyone who knows me knows the louder the better. But it was even too much for me. Makes my head hurt just thinking about it even now. :lol:

OP
OP

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT fastback, Ruby Red Auto, custom.
Had the x-pipe fitted today at Modurstang and it sounds much better, nice throaty throb at tickover and more growly in acceleration. Haven't given it WOT yet but I'm sure I'll like it, in terms of value for money, literally bang for bucks, it's a good place to start.
Thanks for all the advice and I agree with the comments about Roush axle backs plus x-pipe, heard another one today at Mike's, it was mental.
Anyway the car needs a clean now after 4 hours driving, it's the first time it's been put to bed without a wash.

Sponsored

Symone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1 grabber yellow A10
Had the x-pipe fitted today at Modurstang and it sounds much better, nice throaty throb at tickover and more growly in acceleration. Haven't given it WOT yet but I'm sure I'll like it, in terms of value for money, literally bang for bucks, it's a good place to start.
Thanks for all the advice and I agree with the comments about Roush axle backs plus x-pipe, heard another one today at Mike's, it was mental.
Anyway the car needs a clean now after 4 hours driving, it's the first time it's been put to bed without a wash. ��
Did you have anything else fitted there

OP
OP

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Did you have anything else fitted there
I'm that rare breed who left Mike's with only the item I came for and not something else which I didn't know I needed :clap2:

OP
OP

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
After driving for a while with the x-pipe fitted I'm seriously considering putting the resonator back on. The car seems to have lost its deep note and unless it's my imagination doesn't rev as freely and is hesitant.
I've read up on resonators and their job is to filter out the higher frequencies and allow the deep ones to resonate and become louder ie it does not act as a muffler.
My garage is integral to the house and previously on cold start it caused considerable vibration but now with the x-pipe it's noticeably quieter.
I have a trip of a few hundred miles coming up next week so I'll reconsider after that but at the moment I'm disappointed and think a proper axleback and resonator might be the way forward as the stock tone is lovely but not loud enough.

Last edited:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I'm that rare breed who left Mike's with only the item I came for and not something else which I didn't know I needed :clap2:
I'm on that too, went for Vents, came out with vents... Maybe harder to sell me stuff as i've already got most things :lol:
Sponsored