Sponsored

S550 Issues

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Hi everyone..

I wonder if Manders or TT could start a new sticky, whereby we can list any issues we have experienced with our cars to see if there are common failures we should all be looking out for?

For example, the GT oil cooler problem, listed in one common thread could raise awareness to the issue and let owners know what to look out for? Other than puddle lights i am not aware of any other issues.. though there must be some?

Good or bad idea??
Sponsored

simonp83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550
I like the idea, even a separate thread for GT and Ecoboost.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Good idea Nige.

Have stickied this thread. I don't think there has been enough issues to warrant a separat thread for EB's so lets keep it all here...

Lets keep the chit chat to a minimum and for those that have had issues, add as much info as you can. E.g. Symptoms, scenarios in which you found the issue, your experience with Ford and a final resolution etc. Photos always help too!

For the new folks only just about to/already picked up, this info could be vital

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone..

I wonder if Manders or TT could start a new sticky, whereby we can list any issues we have experienced with our cars to see if there are common failures we should all be looking out for?

For example, the GT oil cooler problem, listed in one common thread could raise awareness to the issue and let owners know what to look out for? Other than puddle lights i am not aware of any other issues.. though there must be some?

Good or bad idea??
Oddly enough, I can't actually sticky, as i'm not an Admin, that's Kristian and TT's job. I'm just sir talk a lot ;)

Maybe best for you to keep the "OP" up to date with all the issues.

GT:
>EARLY adopters<
Wiring loom issue, recall given. Wiring loom set fire to a certian car, and all GTs were recalled to add some heat proof goodies to stop it reoccuring. Wiring loom reloccated for future models
>OIL cooler failures<
Small holes and/or leaks from the oil coolers. Tell tail sign is a poluted engine coolant system. Fixed under warranty, however, actual fix should be a new engine, but ford seem to like flushing the car 5000 times to fix it instead. Many have had the fualt, appears to only be a certian batch but may not be exclusive

Some a little 'less' bad
>Clunky Transmission<
Fix: Tranny fluid change
>Rear brakes seizing up<
Fix: warranty job
>Oil light premature<
Fix: normal practice, ford have not been resetting the oil life indicator when the cars hit the show rooms, meaning that the Oil life indicator, which is technically a 1 year or 10k counter (can go down rapidly under extreme driving, or under lots of low mile runs). Reset the oil life indicator, and go in for the first service when 1 year or 10k actually happens. Some have blagged a free service out of this, but now a days ford just reset the indicator and away you go.

Ecoboost:

Don't tune the car over 37psi (lol as if the stock turbo can do that!) or over 425RWHP. Engine has issues over that RWHP and goes caput ($23 cheapo parts hello ford)
Previous issues with spanish motors in the USA blowing up which never hit the UK.

All:
Underseal. TLDR bunch of shit.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Don't want to sound ungrateful but would be really useful if you could please link the forum post titles to the above defects, if not don't worry I can search for them :)

KevD

0-60 Instructor Team DS.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
bob
Vehicle(s)
balls
Lower arm bush offside front - too much play.

Warranty fix. Part is going to take 7-10 days.

Symptoms: when I turned right I heard a creaking noise – quite loud. This was intermittent.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Aircon.

Plenty of failures both in the UK and the EU.

Mixture of condensor, mixer doors and/or compressor clutch.

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
For Auto owners with transmission 'clunk' when selecting between N, D and R...

I had this after about 2000 mi. There was plenty of discussion on US side of forum. The fix seemed to be replacement of input and/or output shaft flange. My car went in for inspection. Ford eventually confirmed replacement of both obave components. However, before the work could be done, the noise seemed to disappear! I had the replacement done anyway (under warranty), but not long after they were replaced, the noise came back! I haven't reported it since and the clunk seems to have subsided again, so it may just be part of a lengthy running in procedure is the resolution to this problem. I'm keeping an eye (or rather ear) on it.

Window catching on weather strip when door opened...

Ford attempted to fix by adjusting hard stop to lowest possible. My window still catches, but I believe another member had this issue fixed at a different dealership. Either way, it doesn't seem to be as simple as a 'soft stop' reset as others have suggested.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
For Auto owners with transmission 'clunk' when selecting between N, D and R...

I had this after about 2000 mi. There was plenty of discussion on US side of forum. The fix seemed to be replacement of input and/or output shaft flange. My car went in for inspection. Ford eventually confirmed replacement of both obave components. However, before the work could be done, the noise seemed to disappear! I had the replacement done anyway (under warranty), but not long after they were replaced, the noise came back! I haven't reported it since and the clunk seems to have subsided again, so it may just be part of a lengthy running in procedure is the resolution to this problem. I'm keeping an eye (or rather ear) on it.

Window catching on weather strip when door opened...

Ford attempted to fix by adjusting hard stop to lowest possible. My window still catches, but I believe another member had this issue fixed at a different dealership. Either way, it doesn't seem to be as simple as a 'soft stop' reset as others have suggested.
My window still catches actually, they said it'd fix it, it did for a few days, back to normal now :frusty:

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
The air condition doesn't cool. I have a PP EU spec 2017 Ecoboost. I noticed the problem today, after 8,5 months of ownership. From what I read in this forum,this seems to be a common problem with 2015+ Mustangs

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
My nearside mirror does not adjust far enough to right. Its OK for me but a shorter driver would not get it into range. The dealer says they can do nothing as the mirror mounts direct to the adjusting motor

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
My nearside mirror does not adjust far enough to right. Its OK for me but a shorter driver would not get it into range. The dealer says they can do nothing as the mirror mounts direct to the adjusting motor
Normal, all the same :D

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
Normal, all the same :D
Strange that no road tests seem to notice a problem & I did not notice a problem on the car I test drove. Is this a poor RHD conversion issue?
Sponsored

Last edited: