Sponsored

Outside Air Temperature Sensor Stuck at 50 Degrees

TinMannequin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
The temperature reading next to the clock is constantly stuck at 50 degrees. The outside temperature is above 80 degrees so there is definitely a problem. I can't even figure out where the sensor is located to check for a loose connection. Anyone out there know where it is at on the car or do you know how to fix this issue?
Sponsored

OP
OP
TinMannequin

TinMannequin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I was able to locate the sensor behind the grill after some digging around the internet. The connection was all good. Still reads 50 degrees after unplugging and plugging it back in. Tried a master reset on Sync and that didn't work either. Set up an appointment with my local Ford dealer on Tuesday. Maybe one of you can help me out before then.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Did you recently disconnect your battery?

The vehicle needs to be driven at highway speed for a predetermined amount of time before the temperature reading will update. It's part of the module strategy to prevent the system from showing high readings due to heat soak.

Go take the vehicle on an extended highway drive; the temperature display should update once it has determined the temperature reading from the sensor is accurate.

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Anyone else have this happen? Mine just went blank and now reads a static 50F. Going to have to go to Ford if it doesn't auto fix :(

EDIT: mine came back on way home, but I suspect its a faulty connection/sensor.

Last edited:

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Anyone else have this happen? Mine just went blank and now reads a static 50F. Going to have to go to Ford if it doesn't auto fix :(

EDIT: mine came back on way home, but I suspect its a faulty connection/sensor.
Mine does this, sometimes sticks at other temps too. It eventually resolved itself with no intervention. Until the next time.

Mine also gets confused about start, stop, accessories and door open and gear shift placement. It always resolves itself.

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
My battery went dead due to lack of use @the dealer...and the outside reading was definitely off for several days. Then it fixed itself.

CVCashmere

rotisserie_gold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Roush Stage 3
Have had this on both of our s550s....it has been 90 outside, and it shows 50. However, it is fairly infrequent, and seems to correct itself after several minutes, or at worst the next time you restart the car.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Same here. Once on a hot day, and once on a cold day.

On the hot day, the AC wouldn't run (do the math).
I don't recall any consequences on the cold day, just that the outside temp was not believable.

If you know the sensor location, seems like you could blow cool air on it to see if it resolves itself, i.e. without having to drive the car.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Same here. 2017 EU spec Mustang EcoBoost. Today the temperature reading stuck at 28 C (82 F). It's a really hot day (95 F). I never had this issue before. Yesterday I had to re-flash the tune using COBB Accessport and I guess this somehow resets the whole system (sort of like unplugging the battery). Could this be the reason? This doesn't seem to have affected the operation of the A/C.

I guess I will wait for a couple of days to see if it corrects itself and, if not, I will take it to the dealer.

[MENTION=13326]TinMannequin[/MENTION] can you tell me where the ambient temperature sensor is located, or at least post a link that will help me locate it? I would like to unplug it to see if this will have an effect.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)

The vehicle needs to be driven at highway speed for a predetermined amount of time before the temperature reading will update. It's part of the module strategy to prevent the system from showing high readings due to heat soak.

Go take the vehicle on an extended highway drive; the temperature display should update once it has determined the temperature reading from the sensor is accurate.
UPDATE: I can confirm FordTechOne's post above. After driving the car for a few minutes at +/- 50 mph, the temperature reading updated and it now works normally.

[MENTION=19918]FordTechOne[/MENTION] thanks for the info and for explaining the reason behind this glitch. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

MustangUSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I have the same issue... got a 2017 GT PPP about two weeks ago. I live in Florida, and when I go to work in the morning, it always reads 50 degrees for outside temp, which we all know is impossible this time of the year in Florida. ;)

Brought it do the dealer on Wednesday and picked it up yesterday, after doing some sort of software upgrade/setting. This morning when I drove to work, same thing.

Crazy, since the car wants to turn on the heat, since it thinks its colder outside than the A/C setting.

Bringing it back in on Tuesday... it only has about 750 miles on it!

Does anybody have an update on their issue and a possible cause/solution?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I have the same issue... got a 2017 GT PPP about two weeks ago. I live in Florida, and when I go to work in the morning, it always reads 50 degrees for outside temp, which we all know is impossible this time of the year in Florida. ;)

Brought it do the dealer on Wednesday and picked it up yesterday, after doing some sort of software upgrade/setting. This morning when I drove to work, same thing.

Crazy, since the car wants to turn on the heat, since it thinks its colder outside than the A/C setting.

Bringing it back in on Tuesday... it only has about 750 miles on it!

Does anybody have an update on their issue and a possible cause/solution?
Mine reads fine outside but I think my inside temperature sensor is not working correctly. Sometimes after restarting the car, the AC refuses to turn the fan speed up when I am sweating my ass off.
My WRX is much more clever when it comes to automatic AC. It even turns re-circulation on and off automatically depending how much temp difference is in the cabin.

MustangUSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Somebody better figure this out... Because it takes a good 3-4 minutes, until my temperature will all the sudden read correctly.

But until then, my car wants to turn on the heat... in Florida, in August!
Unacceptable!

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)

My battery went dead due to lack of use @the dealer...and the outside reading was definitely off for several days. Then it fixed itself.

CVCashmere
I think [MENTION=19918]FordTechOne[/MENTION] has given a good explanation about the issue. Maybe the quoted posts, as well as my posts above can help you with an explanation? I never had this happening again after mine corrected itself a while ago.

cchvyd28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Any confirmed fix for this issue?

I had a whipple installed last week, and everything worked fine on my 7 hour drive home, and for a few days after.

Now it stays at 50 degrees for the first 5-10 minutes of the drive then reads normal.
Sponsored