Shifter Assembly Bracket - Boomba Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoblick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
How much and when is it available. I'm wanting to purchase yours or the Barton within the next few days
Sponsored

K3NMasterS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a 5.2L Flat Plane
There's a little bit of increased transmission noise, but nothing that I would even think twice about. We deal with an everyday clunking from the drivetrain, which Ford tells us is normal so I doubt most of the buyers would even notice.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Are you clamping directly (aluminum to aluminum) with your bracket onto the rear of the factory shifter, then bolting that directly to the body via the two small studs welded to the underside of the floorpan? If so, you have just fixed the rear of the shifter to the body and are asking the front shifter mount to handle any and all deflection.

OP
OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost TY 6MT w/ PP
Are you clamping directly (aluminum to aluminum) with your bracket onto the rear of the factory shifter, then bolting that directly to the body via the two small studs welded to the underside of the floorpan? If so, you have just fixed the rear of the shifter to the body and are asking the front shifter mount to handle any and all deflection.
There are two rubber washer/bushings that are used in the installation of our piece that are meant to absorb vibrations. There is no noticeable vibrations transferred into the vehicle from the use of this bracket.

K3NMasterS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a 5.2L Flat Plane
If you look at the Blowfish Racing Support Bracket, their's is a full metal on metal design as well so I don't forsee any issues with the Boomba Design.

Sponsored

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
If you look at the Blowfish Racing Support Bracket, their's is a full metal on metal design as well so I don't forsee any issues with the Boomba Design.
There is a big difference. Blowfish bracket fixes the shifter to the transmission so both ends of the shifter are fixed to the transmission. With Boomba, the bracket fixes the shifter to the chassis so now the shifter is used as a link between chassis and the transmission as one end of the shifter is fixed to the transmission and the other to the chassis and if that link is too stiff something might give...

K3NMasterS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a 5.2L Flat Plane
There is a big difference. Blowfish bracket fixes the shifter to the transmission so both ends of the shifter are fixed to the transmission. With Boomba, the bracket fixes the shifter to the chassis so now the shifter is used as a link between chassis and the transmission as one end of the shifter is fixed to the transmission and the other to the chassis and if that link is too stiff something might give...
The Blowfish Bracket fixes to the transmission mount, which then fixes to the body so isn't it a similar concept? I'm not the product engineer, I'm just merely the tester and the product seems to perform better than OE. I'm sure Boomba will describe their product soon.

rainier446

Professional Amateur Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 OW GT/PP
The Blowfish Bracket fixes to the transmission mount, which then fixes to the body so isn't it a similar concept? I'm not the product engineer, I'm just merely the tester and the product seems to perform better than OE. I'm sure Boomba will describe their product soon.

What he's trying to say is that with anything using O.E. mounting locations the whole shifter has to twist as the transmission flexes separate from the body. With the blowfish bracket or trans mounted shifters the shifter flexes with the trans I dependent of the body so there is no chance of linkage binding up. I ran the Steeda bracket (same thing as this just poly) and wasn't happy with it as it would still bind when hard shifting and NVH sucked.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

K3NMasterS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a 5.2L Flat Plane
What he's trying to say is that with anything using O.E. mounting locations the whole shifter has to twist as the transmission flexes separate from the body. With the blowfish bracket or trans mounted shifters the shifter flexes with the trans I dependent of the body so there is no chance of linkage binding up. I ran the Steeda bracket (same thing as this just poly) and wasn't happy with it as it would still bind when hard shifting and NVH sucked.

I suppose the biggest question will be the price. That will determine how to compare this item to its competitors. Have you replaced your OE bracket with the Blowfish then? You have me curious that you didn't like the Steeda with the urethane insert.

I will go hammer on the car tonight to see if I can get the shifts to bind. :cheers:

rainier446

Professional Amateur Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 OW GT/PP
I suppose the biggest question will be the price. That will determine how to compare this item to its competitors. Have you replaced your OE bracket with the Blowfish then? You have me curious that you didn't like the Steeda with the urethane insert.

I will go hammer on the car tonight to see if I can get the shifts to bind. :cheers:
I helped a friend mount a blowfish in his '13 which is the same design. I actually replaced the entire shifter assembly with an MGW, which would be an apples to oranges comparison. I had hoped to be satisfied with a simple short shift arm and a couple bushings but the NVH and lack of enhancement forced me to drop the $$$ on the MGW.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium

The Blowfish bracket mounts to the same bolts that the transmission mounts to the tranny, not the side that attaches to the car. The back of the shifter that is attached to the floor of the car in the stock applcation as well as with the Steeda & Bomba is mounted to the Blowfish bracket. The Blowfish bracket keeps the shifter aligned with the tranny and when the tranny moves the shifter moves with it eliminating misalignment that cause missed shifts.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Precisely.

Boomba, an NVH increase may not be noticeable to some but there is no way that the "rubber washers" can quell/damp as effectively as the stocker, if the comparison is limited to those two methods anyway. The washers simply don't have the mass (I'm not arguing whether or not the shifter deflects more less, simply an observation with respect to the factory mushmount vs two relatively small/thin washers).

OP
OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost TY 6MT w/ PP
In the testing we've done so far, there have been no negative side effects; just positive shift engangement. Everything seems to be working as intended and the shifter is not shaking around inside of the vehicle. I personally am not an engineer and would have to check with one of our engineers for the technical jargon on how our piece works the way it does.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That'd be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.