Sponsored

25 year vette guy turns

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I only recently watched FP's showcase of the Voodoo motor, and was very impressed at the lengths at which they went to develop this motor. All the effort was not for naught, as it really shows in the character of the motor. Getting goosebumps just writing this post.
Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
:cheers:
I'll preface this by saying that I'm brand loyal, to a point, but in the end I go with what works for me. I've owned 3 series Bimmers and Corvettes over the last 23 years, and had E-body Mopars before that. The most satisfying, exhilarating, flat out fun rides I've had (and wish I still did) were a `70 AAR Cuda and a `94 ZR-1 Vette...until now.

I thought that Ford finally got it right in 2015 as the lines of the Mustang were damned near perfect, and then came the GT350...wow. What a looker. But what finally pushed me over the edge to sell the vette go with the GT350 was simple: 8250. The Voodoo wails like any other engine I've owned since the LT5 in the ZR-1 (another hi revving DOHC unit), and unlike any other American made V8 for sure. I debated for a while about going to a GT PP with the Roush SC treatment, but in the case of the Shelby the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Anybody can get a GT with FI and have a helluva fun ride and crazy fast Mustang, but I'm telling you that once I heard the 5.2 and drove it for myself, I knew I made the right choice. When I say it's an experience that's stirring and soulful, I mean it really is an "experience". And of course it's not just the Voodoo, as the engineers for this machine really got it all to come together. Track time is a must in the not too distant future.

Anyway I thought I'd share my initial impressions, as I'm still getting to know this beast. I know there are faster rides out there than the Shelby, but there's more to it than just straight line speed. It's the same kind of deal as with Harley riders when they say, "If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand". I'm hooked and glad to be here.
Congratulations on an awesome car! BTW, did you ever get a chance to test drive the Camaro? Interested to hear what the reason was that may have steered you away from it considering your previous GM history?

OP
OP

Flat Rock Flyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You're turning to mustang and ill most likley be turning to vette (but keeping the 350) for the next car. Funny how things work out..
It is funny, isn't it...Vettes are great machines, I'm betting you won't be disappointed.

Welcome OP and congrats on the new ride...you will love it. And tons of good peeps and great info in this forum to assist/enjoy the ride with :)
In my lurking prior to joining up I found that there are a bunch of highly knowledgable and informed people on this forum, a great community...

Congrats on your LB 350 and continue to enjoy driving it! :thumbsup:

Now let's see pics of that beauty... glad to read you also now "get it." :D
Thanks, I'll have to take some pictures and get them up soon...even if I am a lousy photographer.

:cheers:

Congratulations on an awesome car! BTW, did you ever get a chance to test drive the Camaro? Interested to hear what the reason was that may have steered you away from it considering your previous GM history?
I didn't drive the Camaro or even really consider one, TBH...they're great muscle cars and an American classic, like the Mustang. But the GT350 is just something totally different, a different beast. But then, you knew that.:D

Thanks for the welcome everyone, looking forward to learning more about this amazing machine from y`all.:cheers:

Last edited:

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
As a kid I started with a white '81 Firebird and a yellow '87 Z28 then grew up a bit with, two black E36 M3s, then an orange '01 Ram Air Trans Am (still not sure why), and finally a gray '01 E46 M3 and a white '03 E46. Modifications to almost all of them were a constant joy, and drain on the wallet. Although I always loved the way Mustangs sounded, I was never interested enough to buy one. After settling down for the last 18 months with a Dodge Durango, I thought I had last my edge.

The GT350 reminded me of what I looked for in cars. It literally is everything I have grown to love in cars over the past 30 years. It looks great from every angle, sounds angry even sitting in traffic, handles like it weighs half of what it does, goes like a scalded cat, stops on a dime and makes me feel like a kid again every time I drive it...every time. Hell, it makes my neighbors happy. I love the way people of all ages stop, smack the person next to them, smile and point when it drives by. The best compliment I can give it is that I don't want to change a single thing (okay, except for the Steeda jacking rails I just ordered).

I agree that it is a sin Mr. Shelby didn't live to see this one, it is truly special.

Sponsored

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It is funny, isn't it...Vettes are great machines, I'm betting you won't be disappointed.

In my lurking prior to joining up I found that there are a bunch of highly knowledgable and informed people on this forum, a great community...

Thanks, I'll have to take some pictures and get them up soon...even if I am a lousy photographer.

I didn't drive the Camaro or even really consider one, TBH...they're great muscle cars and an American classic, like the Mustang. But the GT350 is just something totally different, a different beast. But then, you knew that.:D

Thanks for the welcome everyone, looking forward to learning more about this amazing machine from y`all.:cheers:

It seems like they're getting closer for what looks like another release of ZR1.... Apparently, it was spotted at the Milford Proving Grounds.

(Photo credit: Brian Williams, SpiedBilde)
IMG_0740.JPG

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yes.... Z06 models did have their share of tripping in to limp mode. Recently, however, their chief engineer has claimed that they were able to resolve this problem. A newly designed hood for better cooling, a different supercharger cover and modifications to the actual cooling system. Time will tell....

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I too was a long time Corvette fan. Last one was a C6Z. I did cross shop the C7Z with the 350, but as others have mentioned, you see them everywhere, including the Z06. I recently saw 2 ZL1's the same day. I have yet to see an R on the road after 2 years.

OP
OP

Flat Rock Flyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It seems like they're getting closer for what looks like another release of ZR1.... Apparently, it was spotted at the Milford Proving Grounds.

(Photo credit: Brian Williams, SpiedBilde)
No doubt it will be a rocket, and I'd be still saving my pennies for one if the GT350 wasn't such an awesome beast.

One word: cooling!
Yep...that thing has more duct work than my home HVAC system.