Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
I watched the GT350/M2 video yesterday. I think it says a lot about the GT350 when you can completely ignore anything the guy says about the cars and just watch the his reaction/body language. Much as though he obviously loved the M2, you could tell within 5 seconds of him driving the GT350 that he was completely hooked and was going to choose it over the BM regardless of what the lap time/drag race results were (as I would given a chance, Ford!).

If only we had the choice in the UK. Sadly, it seems GT350 production is going to be quite limited this year and one assumes that means it'll be the final year for the car :(

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
Discovered this on Youtube the other night. Interesting stuff ..... S650 tech maybe? ... extend the life of the V8 by allowing efficiency improvements? ....

[ame]

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Discovered this on Youtube the other night. Interesting stuff ..... S650 tech maybe? ... extend the life of the V8 by allowing efficiency improvements? ....

Love the idea on a race engine... but look at all those windings and solder joints on each controller. Would you want to own it out of warranty with the catastrophic possibility of a failure? Maybe on a lower compression non interference design.

Sponsored

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
Love the idea on a race engine... but look at all those windings and solder joints on each controller. Would you want to own it out of warranty with the catastrophic possibility of a failure? Maybe on a lower compression non interference design.
Yep, could be messy .... but I guess theoretically the default position would be closed so possibly not as catastrophic as a timing belt failure. How does it work on a pneumatic system like a Formula 1 engine, does that default to closed in the event of a failure? But ultimately technology and materials move on, so given the significant benefits I'm sure manufacturers will invest in the system and reliability will come. Going a step further though, I'm sure some bright spark must have come up with a design for a no-valve engine? .... get rid of the reciprocating mass altogether with some kind of rotating valve or something. Didn't Ducati do something like that on their MotoGP bikes a while back? ..... over to our resident bike expert [MENTION=13920]Enoch[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Camless engine... interesting:)

The Ducati system still uses cams, the difference between it and a traditional cylinder head, is that instead of using a spring to close the valve, the Ducati closes it mechanically with the cam...

The trouble with a spring is that at high revs they can bounce, and this in turn can hold the valve open slightly when it should be closed, thus losing power.

By mechanically closing the valve, you get more stable valve action and therefore higher revs without valve bounce..

It's very old tech, but with modern materials and management etc works very well:thumbsup:

Camless looks like a whole new level of technology:thumbsup:

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
Camless engine... interesting:)

The Ducati system still uses cams, the difference between it and a traditional cylinder head, is that instead of using a spring to close the valve, the Ducati closes it mechanically with the cam...

The trouble with a spring is that at high revs they can bounce, and this in turn can hold the valve open slightly when it should be closed, thus losing power.

By mechanically closing the valve, you get more stable valve action and therefore higher revs without valve bounce..

It's very old tech, but with modern materials and management etc works very well:thumbsup:

Camless looks like a whole new level of technology:thumbsup:
Thanks mate .... I knew Ducati had done something different with valves but couldn't remember what. That said, I could have sworn somebody had a go at a rotating disc kind of valve .... maybe I was dreaming?! :shrug:

Either way, the benefits that camless seems to give in terms of efficiency and emissions will hopefully help to keep large capacity engines around for a little while longer :cheers:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I had valve flutter in my Harley after I built it. Had to go back in and change the springs... solved that. Would have been cool to eliminate those springs altogether by like just attaching the valve to the pushrod or something like that. Seems logical... but I ain't no engineer.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I had valve flutter in my Harley after I built it. Had to go back in and change the springs... solved that. Would have been cool to eliminate those springs altogether by like just attaching the valve to the pushrod or something like that. Seems logical... but I ain't no engineer.
Springs will always have there limits.... to light and you get flutter like you did, so replace with a stronger spring....:D this eliminates valve bounce, but puts extra load on the cam, or follower..:)

It's all a balancing act, and the calculations are done by very clever folk:D:thumbsup:

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
He made one on Ecoboosts, he's an ecoboost driver, you loved it... Now here's one for Mustangs in general.

[ame]

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
V12 Mustang! ..... :thumbsup:

Makes the noise from a GT350 seem a little bit underwhelming ... crank up those speakers, this boy is really moving! :clap2:

[ame]

If you have a bit more time, this is even better! ....

[ame]

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
[ame]

christianUK

Threads