Sponsored

New 28 Piston Mustang...

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Said it before, say it again, think they look superb buddy.

The Mtec I got were cheap, but the end result is you get what you pay for, the Mtec seem to now like being abused too much, few 100+ leptons stops and they feel a touched warped or its the shit low dust pads, for road they are fine. But big tracks with high speed stops, they don't cut it, pads caused fade and they felt pretty warped too. Smaller lower speed circuits they are fine and fine on the road. £900 they are a bargain, but now they want closer to £1500 I'd say avoid.

The only braking setup I have found on these cars so far that works and is silky smooth is the GT 350 R setup that Mac had, hence MY18 just gonna get that, though be interesting to hear how you get on as the Wilwood option saves more weight and is about a grand cheaper.

But Mtec and stock seem to feel a touched warped after a few stops, noticed it in Guys car too on track that after about 10-15 mins he was getting brake rumble/judder, good disc this simply should not happen, of course on the road its rare you ever get brakes so hot. Fast tracks hammer brakes, but good brakes and confidence in braking repeatedly from 130-140mph is everything on track.
Sponsored

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
I wouldn't say £900 for some discs is a bargain, I'd say £900 for discs that warp under a bit of light track work (from your video, but you were hampered by the shit set up giving false knock, so you might be going faster now you're back to stock) and some fast road are a liability gibbo.

Or am I reading that wrong?!?

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Just remembered that in addition to the 28 pistons.... my Mustang also has 36 valves..:thumbsup:

32 in the engine and one in each tyre:D:lol:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't say £900 for some discs is a bargain, I'd say £900 for discs that warp under a bit of light track work (from your video, but you were hampered by the shit set up giving false knock, so you might be going faster now you're back to stock) and some fast road are a liability gibbo.

Or am I reading that wrong?!?

Well the stock disc rumble and grumble under heavy braking too, mine did, Guys do, Macs did but when I say this I mean some quick stuff as in few 100mph plus laps of Silverstone where shit starts to glow and your doing repeated stops from around 130mph in a 2 tonne car, that hits the brakes hard! Can't get close to such temperatures on the road!

Should they do it, or be warped, HELL NO!
Is it a major issue, no because on the road they are acceptable, if comparing to stock a touch worse, does not make it acceptable.

I nearly emailed Mtec Sunday, to complain I still will of course.

Now the knock is gone yes no more issues, for whatever reason my car can't get along with the 350 TB, such a shame drove like a beaut, silky smooth and when not knocking the power was unreal, why on track I did some laps just in 4th and amazing how it just pulled hard from low as going from 3rd-4th sometimes it just went flat. Give you an idea the stock tune on the car makes 18-22 degrees spark advance 2500-4000rpm, 4000-6500rpm it builds to 23-25 degrees, no matter what fuel you put, even race fuel the stock tune won't see above 25 degrees at wide open throttle. When my false knock was going off, the peak spark advance I saw was 20 degrees, though spark is one equation of making power, my car on AED custom map when not getting false knock was 25-27 degrees 2500-4000rpm and 29-32 degrees 4000rpm onwards. Its lost a shit load. Refitting stock TB, problem gone away, but I disliked the drive ability, so I just put the fucker back to stock, AED offered me a tune today for stock TB, said too late buddy, car is stock. :D

I still need to work it out but I hit soft limited in 4th gear at around 8000rpm and thought oh maybe I should change to 5th LOL, but did not bother, just cruised then braked. But that is somewhere around 130-140mph, which is going pretty well.

Also me and Tony pretty much overtook everything on circuit, once we were a lap in, we were not hanging around, I pulled over and cooled the car due to brakes and shat myself when I saw the oil reach 3/4 hot, which now turns out not to be an issue. Also Guy the brave man he is just kept his foot in for full 20 minutes and in fairness his oil reached 3/4 like mine but then got no hotter, turns out from investigation this is around 120c which is OK for upto 10-15 minutes. But a few 20 minute sessions at 120c will brake the oil down, so for sure oil change is adviced after track work in these cars, particular as they run piss thin 5W-20.

Also can't comment for Toni, but being in the car with Guy, his brakes were rumbling pretty bad too, not as bad as my Mtecs but his felt warped, he had no fade though, but the stock pads don't fade.

In short last visit to Silverstone, car stopped much better due to stock pads, this time pads were hopeless, but I take full responsibility, the supplier said not for track use, I had no plans to go on track, then I did two track days, LOL.

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aye, well 'not for track use', then using it on track :lol: Darwinism needs to play a part here Gibbo :lol:

Did a few 152's - 0 on magnets 'private road', stock brakes were fine :lol:

Comprehensive as ever Gibbo :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aye, well 'not for track use', then using it on track :lol: Darwinism needs to play a part here Gibbo :lol:

Did a few 152's - 0 on magnets 'private road', stock brakes were fine :lol:

Comprehensive as ever Gibbo :thumbsup:

It was one of those moment, ooh I like my new shiny wheels, fuck one day later the stock pads have poo'd all over them!!

mmmmm new disc, should really fit new pads, hello Mr brake pad supplier, I hate brake dust and noise, what ya got, ah sir these are up your street.

Thank you!

Weeks later, mmmm track day you say, hello mr brake pad, can I do track day on these pads that say not recommended for track work. Hello customer, are you freaking stupid, of course not that why it says on our website NOT FOR TRACK USE, oh, fuck it I will chance it only 20 minute session.

Chanced it, nearly died, live and learn! :D

P.S. Stock front pads are Ferodo, very similar to DS2500 compound, which is for track work, hence why they are great, last time at Silverstone was faster international circuit, hit 5th a lot on that layout so 140ish and ran for like 30-40 minutes, ZERO fade, just a touch of grumble from stock disc getting very hot, but she never faded on stock pads or stock fluid.

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seriously, I've never had a prob with stock (apologies Enoch, thread drift), but I've only ever wanted a reasonably fast road set up, I don't think the Stang is suited to a track, that's another conversation though.

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
The final piece of the puzzle...:)

Fully floating front rotors...10.9kg:thumbsup::D

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Weigh them buddy and compare to the Wilwoods and stock. Though I think Giro's are about 11kg. :)

Think after this your new name is the BRAKE MASTER! :D

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Weigh them buddy and compare to the Wilwoods
Read the post ya numpty:lol::lol:

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Weigh them buddy and compare to the Wilwoods and stock. Though I think Giro's are about 11kg. :)

less .1 of a KG ;)!

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Thing is... ahem... do they fit? :bolt:

OP
OP