Sponsored

Shift Ball Options for MGW

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
I switched from my Steeda tri ax to the MGW shifter, but realized the used MGW didn't have a shift ball included. Luckily, as it was the night before the track LOL, I didn't have to shift without a ball, the Steeda threaded right on.

However, the Steeda, as nice and heavy as it is, is designed for the lift up reverse collar and is therefore a bit awkward, too low, and has a sharp edge to it.

So that I don't screw this up, is the thread patterns all the same for stock, MGW, Steeda? Obviously I know now MGW and Steeda are the same, but can I shop around for ANY shifter ball and assume itll fit, whether for stock or not?

Took a lot to type that post without giggling about heavy balls, going without a ball, buying a ball that fits....etc :lol: Yes I have the maturity of a 6 year old sometimes.
Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I don't recall much, but I think they are all the same threading for all the shifters. Your issue probably lies in the way the shift ball is designed now. Meaning, the MGW shifter doesn't have the reverse locker collar thing and is a push down. I think the other shifters retains the same reverse lockout mechanism. So you have to decide if you want that extra big hole on the bottom or not.

OP
OP
TooSoonJunior

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Yep exactly what is the problem, but also the Steeda is a longer shifter, but the ball threads are recessed further up and in. The MGW is a shorter shifter and so now my ball is REALLY low on the shifter stick, too low IMO.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yep exactly what is the problem, but also the Steeda is a longer shifter, but the ball threads are recessed further up and in. The MGW is a shorter shifter and so now my ball is REALLY low on the shifter stick, too low IMO.
Yea, I just went with a Raceseng custom shift knob lol. Actually have two of them, one with an extender and one just the knob so that I can switch around from time to time.

35715157984_e53dd41f36_b.jpg

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Should be same threading so that the stock knob can be used.

I got my shift knob from Anarchy Motive and MGW had to give me a GT350 collar or something for some reason I don't remember. I just know I had to pay $20 for a GT350 part because of the shifter I had. I think the part that the shift knob tightens up against.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TooSoonJunior

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Yea, I just went with a Raceseng custom shift knob lol. Actually have two of them, one with an extender and one just the knob so that I can switch around from time to time.

35715157984_e53dd41f36_b.jpg
Maybe its just the angle of the picture, but that shifter looks REALLY tall, is that the "extender"? My shift ball is almost flush to where your boot comes up to.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Maybe its just the angle of the picture, but that shifter looks REALLY tall, is that the "extender"? My shift ball is almost flush to where your boot comes up to.
Yup, I added a 50mm extender from Raceseng. without the extender, it actually sits flush with the boot as you described.

Different angle:
36719482576_b62cf23f12_b.jpg

Matt@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lethal Performance
Did you want to retain your stock knob? If you, you could just grab their OEM Knob Adapter which allows you to retain the factory 2015 mustang shift knob but use the MGW push down reverse design. If you wanted aftermarket, I really like their Gripper Knobs. Still a little of the factory feel, but allows you to pick a few options to make it more personal.

[ame]

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
/\/\ What he said...get the OEM adaptor for OEM style knobs. Problem fixed.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I got the OEM adapter for my MGW and put a GFT350 shift knob, much better than the OEM golf ball

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
we also have some badass knob options of our own!!! :cheers::cheers:
COYOTEGHOSTSTAINLESSSTEM.JPG
silver50.JPG
ghostpony1.JPG
silverghostcoyoterul.JPG
ssreverserul.jpg
image2.JPG