Sponsored

exhaust decision

Dwc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 auto
Hello, trying to make up my mind between two exhausts for a 16 v6, looking for info on comparison between the Solo Performance catback vs Borla S type catback. Has anyone heard both of these? Which one is louder and which do you prefer. The Solo is only $725 and the Borla is like $1275 without a discount, is the Borla worth the extra cash? Is there still a forum discount?
They both sound good in youtube vids but it would be a lot easier to decide if I had heard them in person.
Thanks for any input.
Sponsored

Meraki Autoworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Hey,

Contact us for the Borla one, if you have the part # that would help too.

You can text us at 213 394 2886 for fast quotes.

-Josh

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I had the Borla ATAKs on my 13 V6 and I have them on my 16 GT. Definitely worth the extra cash. They are exactly as advertised. Aggressive but zero drone. Both I bought used. People are swapping exhausts all the time.

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Get a used GT exhaust. Can be had for between 100 and 200. If you like the sound, then you're set. If you want something louder, there are WAY more axleback options for the stock V8. Its a cheaper way to get more options, unless you really just want a brand new catback.

FYI catbacks that fit the GT also fit the V6 so you don't have to limit yourself to just the ones advertised for the V6.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Get a used GT exhaust. Can be had for between 100 and 200. If you like the sound, then you're set. If you want something louder, there are WAY more axleback options for the stock V8. Its a cheaper way to get more options, unless you really just want a brand new catback.

FYI catbacks that fit the GT also fit the V6 so you don't have to limit yourself to just the ones advertised for the V6.
+1 - I just did this myself, pretty easy swap as the GT exhaust bolts right up to the cat mid-pipes, even uses the exact same clamps that held on the V6 cat-back! Plus, I got my used GT cat-back with only 119 miles on it for just $80, so it is by far the cheapest way to get 2.5" pipes on your car. It doesn't really make the exhaust much (if any) louder but it does give it a slighter deeper sounding tone.

The other benefit to going this route is there are a lot more resonator deletes on the market for the GT, but only a couple for the V6 and the ones I've seen are more $$ than the GT versions. If you're just looking to get louder you can replace the resonator with an X- or H-pipe and not only increase the loudness factor but also drop nearly 20 lbs of useless weight! If cost is a factor in your decision, you won't find a cheaper way to change the tone and volume of your exhaust than a used GT cat-back and a GT resonator delete, if you do the work yourself it can be done for under $200!

Another option we have with the V6 that wouldn't work well for the V8 is that since our V6 is an even fire motor, we technically don't need any crossover on the exhaust to balance the pressure waves from bank to bank, the crossover on these engines is totally for sound tuning, so if you have a competent shop to bend some pipes you could just replace the resonator with straight pipes to make a divorced exhaust that might be even cheaper than buying a made to fit resonator delete.

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
exhaust are so, so subjective to your personal taste. I would get a used by exhaust and build up to your sound preference. example, you have the GT exhaust not loud or sporty enough buy a cheap eBay xpipe have a reputable exhaust shop weld it in place of stock resonator box. Still not your liking then delete mufflers and add some tips of your choice from eBay put on by said exhaust shop or have some resonators welded on. The options are endless. Or just drop all that money on a full catback system. personally I like building it to my preference. I welded a Jones exhaust Xbox muffler (it's an enclosed Xpipe muffler) that replaced my stock resonator and connected it to the Solo Perfomance GT exhaust (just the mid pipes back) with the j bends. I love the sound. sporty, aggressive and no drone but not super loud at all. very clean sound.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Ive heard a lot of good on the borlas, i wouldve went with borlas if i had the budget for that. My budget was cheap as balls so i went with FM outlaws which i loved. Swapped it out for a stock GT catback exhaust that i got from a fellow forum member for 80 bucks and i thibk it is what i will be sticking with until i upgrade to a GT if i ever do. Just a beautiful deep, classy, strong sound that has absolutely no rasp or no drone. Not as gurgly, poppy, rumbly as my outlaw + hpipe set up but i just couldnt stabd the high rpm rasp and the gt cat sounds veautiful at high rpm.

If i were you id go borlas.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
After researching for a week, I finally ordered the Borla ATAK Catback for around 1200 bucks from AM. Hope I am not disappointed because some have mentioned it's not loud enough. I have plans to switch to a GT in the near future, maybe this year end or next summer. So that's the reason I think I might have spent too much but let's see. To be honest, I couldn't find any used ones for the V6 and I might not even find a buyer if I want to sell it down the line.

Sponsored

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
After researching for a week, I finally ordered the Borla ATAK Catback for around 1200 bucks from AM. Hope I am not disappointed because some have mentioned it's not loud enough. I have plans to switch to a GT in the near future, maybe this year end or next summer. So that's the reason I think I might have spent too much but let's see. To be honest, I couldn't find any used ones for the V6 and I might not even find a buyer if I want to sell it down the line.
i was selling mine for 675 with h pipe but no one showed interest so now i just decided to keep it and replacing the h pipe with a x pipe, its plenty loud for a v6 with headers/tune/res delete/cai, low mild tone on cruising, but not loud enough, sounds good when on gas though, i dont remember how it was before the add ons

heres my channel, one with just the catback, the other has all the bolt on mentioned and tune
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn6YYe90ogAtSQDMfar17xg

so just with the catback and nothing else, it was eh, heres a cold start of it now
[ame]

redfire07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang
I would say Borla S-Type all the way. No drone is a huge plus. I am planning to get a set myself

OP
OP

Dwc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 auto
Thanks for all the input, much appreciated!

redfire07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang
[MENTION=23042]krishelnino[/MENTION] If you decide to sell your kit at any point send me a PM. I will buy them if I haven't found a set yet.

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
Hey,

Contact us for the Borla one, if you have the part # that would help too.

You can text us at 213 394 2886 for fast quotes.

-Josh
I bought my corsa xtremes from josh great price and great customer service.
Sponsored