Sponsored

Ford Exec: Ford to balance updates with tradition for Mustang's 50th

KZStang

Ford to balance updates with tradition for Mustang's 50th

2015-ford-mustang.jpg

Flat Rock — Ford Motor Co. has sold more than 8.5 million Mustangs since 1964, but the Dearborn automaker recognizes it has to keep the iconic pony car fresh to boost sales. The Mustang is narrowing in on its 50th anniversary — April 17, 2014 is the official date — and details about its sixth generation, slated to hit showrooms for the 2015 model year, are scant.

But changes are coming. Sales of the Mustang in recent years have been at historic lows, but demand for the car — at least globally — is at an all-time high, which means the Mustang of old is nearly ready to make room for the Mustang of new. Raj Nair, Ford's vice president of global product development, was mum when asked about the future on Wednesday, as Ford and the United Auto Workers celebrated the Mustang's 49th birthday and the 1 millionth Mustang built at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant.

"The thing about refresh rates is they are a key factor in your market share," Nair said, when asked what Ford needed to accomplish with the refreshed Mustang. But Nair also said Ford isn't going to be too radical to boost sales or make hasty alterations to meet the needs of the soon-to-be European Mustang consumer. "We've got a very strong idea of what a Mustang is," he said. "That's what Mustang will always be."

Sales of the Mustang aren't what they used to be. Chevrolet's Camaro muscle car has topped the Mustang in annual sales in the U.S. for three consecutive years. The difference is about only 1,400 cars but overall Mustang sales are less than half of what they were in the 1990s. The reason: more choices and waning interest for the current-generation Mustang, and because fans are well aware the next edition will come sooner rather than later.

"There's a lot of other choices for those wanting to express themselves, which is the basis of what the Mustang is about," said Jack Nerad, executive analyst at Kelley Blue Book. "The Mustang is a 'Hey, look at me' car, and if there's a new car like the Camaro that's even more 'Hey, look at me,' then that's the one I'm going to buy." Demand, however, has accelerated to what Ford has called "a critical mass" for markets outside the U.S., particularly in Europe, slated to sell Mustangs for the first time since the 1970s.

Nair on Wednesday insisted that opening up Mustang sales to such a large market — Ford already sells the pony car in 30 other markets — won't change the time-tested car. "It's an American icon, but it's not solely an American passion," Nair said. "There's always regulatory requirements, but relative to the car, a Mustang is a Mustang."

20130415140700_1964.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

KZStang

All the talk indicates they will make just enough changes to satisfy the regulations and safety laws but not so much that it is not recognizable. They still better wow with a new redesign or those stale sales numbers are going to get worse in the U.S.

OP
OP

Melino

They keep telling us this in the U.S, but.... what are they saying in Europe? :shrug:

OP
OP

WRC

It's true. While this is a huge European rollout for Ford, they do already sell in many other countries. It's good to know the opinions and preferences of US consumers are still #1 for them.

OP
OP

MustangMarine

#1 thing Ford needs to do is make sure the design appeals to north americans. Yea they want to make this a 'global' car but the Mustang won't sell in huge numbers there no matter what design it has. The sports coupe market there is all about the luxury brands. If they screw up the design and make it unappealing to north americans because they're also trying to appeal to the tastes in europe and asia then they're gonna be hurting for sales.

Sponsored

z928

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Mustang
I know the Mustang is currently sold at Ford dealers in Most of the Middle east country. Qatar, Oman, Saudi, UAE-Dubai, Kuwait, Jordan, Lebanon & Bahrain.

In Asia- Philippines (Ford USA biggest market), Japan (LHD model sold as a niche product), Vietnam & Taiwan.

I think these country they currently offer the Mustang- Their regulation is not too strict like those in Europe...

OP
OP

Krishna

I know the Mustang is currently sold at Ford dealers in Most of the Middle east country. Qatar, Oman, Saudi, UAE-Dubai, Kuwait, Jordan, Lebanon & Bahrain.

In Asia- Philippines (Ford USA biggest market), Japan (LHD model sold as a niche product), Vietnam & Taiwan.

I think these country they currently offer the Mustang- Their regulation is not too strict like those in Europe...

Any idea how popular they are in those countries? I'm assuming not very. Ironically, stricter regulations may actually help sales in those countries - Ford would be forced to redesign cars that look more Asian/European which may be more attractive to people in those countries.

z928

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Mustang
Any idea how popular they are in those countries? I'm assuming not very. Ironically, stricter regulations may actually help sales in those countries - Ford would be forced to redesign cars that look more Asian/European which may be more attractive to people in those countries.
In Asia like the Philippines- from what I see- The V6 starting price sells at USD 75k USD depending on the specs- It may be higher than the starting price.

I've read Ford of Philippines manage to sell 136 units for 2012 which is not bad in my opinion. They target certain people like the rich.
In Vietnam- The car will be also very expensive due to high taxation. They also target the rich people. Most of Vietnam , Philippines drives small Korean cars. Road tax for a high CC cars is also very high.

In most Middle east- Where Ford have been selling the Mustang since the 80s- It's very popular but the number of car sales still don't match up to like those in the US. The dealer sells a limited number of cars per year. Also the Ford Mustang is not that expensive in Middle east- The pricing is slightly higher than the USA -5k More only unlike in Asia- The import tax is very high. So these cars are seen as luxury in Asia.
I bet Europe will be priced very expensive too....

OP
OP

pistolpete

Good to have locals to help with these questions. Never thought about it but anyone actually know what the pricing will be like in Europe? And how would the s550 pricing there compare to the price of mustangs that have been imported after all the fees/taxes etc?

Would be interesting to know since this will definitely dictate what kind of engine options make sense there, and as a result, here in the good ole U.S.A

z928

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Mustang
Good to have locals to help with these questions. Never thought about it but anyone actually know what the pricing will be like in Europe? And how would the s550 pricing there compare to the price of mustangs that have been imported after all the fees/taxes etc?

Would be interesting to know since this will definitely dictate what kind of engine options make sense there, and as a result, here in the good ole U.S.A
Chevy Camaro (Left Hand Drive model) V8 sells officially in UK GM vauxhall dealer from 39k Pounds. I'm not sure the rest of Europe.

I think the pricing structure would be similar or slightly cheaper due to lower CC?

Sponsored

z928

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Mustang
I always read about the economy in Europe how they go downhill etc. I wonder how would impact the Mustang sales later in 2014-15?

OP
OP

tslim

A strong case could be made that the gt500 never make it to European dealerships. Same with all of the special editions. Does it really make sense when those sales numbers will surely be tiny?

OP
OP

Mriley

Would importing one from the US avoid all the taxes/penalties or would it just be a wash with what it would cost to import? If so would be a huge loophole, tho I'm sure they will close that straight off now that itll be available in dealerships there.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
For the UK, if you personally import a car, you have to pay an import tax (10%) and then VAT (Value Added Tax, a bit like your sales tax of 20%) on the value of the vehicle you've purchased.

These fees are built into the purchase price if you buy one from a UK dealer.

OP
OP

WRC

What about the penalties on larger engines and displacements? Do imported vehicles get treated the same in those respects if they dont have to pass the same safety regulations as the domestically offered ones? Now THAT would be a loophole.

If a v6 Mustang is going for anywhere close to 75k as someone suggested, who the heck is going to buy a GT500 besides the well off?
Sponsored