Differences in Motor between R and non-R

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Despite having never driven a non-R, I can say with absolute certainty my R is more powerful.
More powerful? As in feels quicker? IF so then yes. All the engine 350 engines are the same and equal in power. The obvious weight reduction and wheel/tire combo make a quantifiable difference. Especially the "Spirit" R with no additional weight over the front axle.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Your noted oil pressure reduction (in your "spirit" R - hey, I'll take credit for coining a new term!) is most likely due to differences in tolerances and clearances within the engine components which are part of the oil flow circuit. I don't think the external accessories should have an impact on oil pressure. Pixie dust, on the other hand, has been known to cause amazing things to happen...so says my 8 year old daughter...
Interesting!!! Need to do some research on your hypothesis.

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
Since Ford Performance is now selling the GT350R timing chain we know that is different. I hardly believe there is only one difference.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Since Ford Performance is now selling the GT350R timing chain we know that is different. I hardly believe there is only one difference.
Not sure if you are serious, but that is fake news. No difference in the timing chain - that was a mistake on the FR website that has since been corrected. The Voodoo TC is an upgrade for the Coyote, however.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Fake news indeed.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
More powerful? As in feels quicker? IF so then yes. All the engine 350 engines are the same and equal in power. The obvious weight reduction and wheel/tire combo make a quantifiable difference. Especially the "Spirit" R with no additional weight over the front axle.
I'm pretty sure my red R badge adds 15 at the crank.

Sponsored

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
Only 30 HP more, what's about the TQ increase as well....lol

Last edited:

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
Not sure if you are serious, but that is fake news. No difference in the timing chain - that was a mistake on the FR website that has since been corrected. The Voodoo TC is an upgrade for the Coyote, however.
According to Ford Performance yesterday this is not fake news at all.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The resonator delete will give the car a tiny bit more power despite the engine itself being identical to a non-R, however, the significant weight difference of the carbon wheels, and more importantly, the smaller diameter of the R tires will have the biggest impact and effect on how much of the crank HP makes it to the wheel.

Anyone who has dynoed a car back to back with heavy then light wheels won't have a hard time believing it.
Sponsored