Sponsored

Convertible top cleaner and protectant

bryan2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, Black GT Convertible, 6 speed manual
Has anyone used a top cleaner/ protectant? I know chemical guys, raggtop, and 303 all make one. Does anyone have any experience with them or some other brand I missed?
Sponsored

RoadDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
By all means, use
303 (30520) Convertible Fabric Top Cleaning and Care Kit

I've used it for years on my convertible and it's great..

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I agree with RoadDog...go with the 303 Fabric Cleaner and Care Kit. I also use 303 Convertible SoftTop Protectant, along with a Scotch Lint Remover roller to lift off any light- colored particles that always seem to stick to the black soft top, even after a good wash.

Last edited:

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I did a multiple coating of my soft top with the 303 spray. I still had about 1/2 bottle left. Just make sure that you spray a complete but even coat. A soft bristle wash brush can be used to gently spread the protectant. I also use a 3M Lint remover roller to gently lift off any visible light colored 'lint' from the top.

Sponsored

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
I did a multiple coating of my soft top with the 303 spray. I still had about 1/2 bottle left. Just make sure that you spray a complete but even coat. A soft bristle wash brush can be used to gently spread the protectant. I also use a 3M Lint remover roller to gently lift off any visible light colored 'lint' from the top.
What's your technique for dealing with overspray? easy enough to put a sheet or drop cloth on the front portion of the top, just don't latch it. But the rubber on the back below the rear window, did you tape off the rubber seals or anything?

RoadDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
In the *for what it's worth department*... After cleaning the top with the 303 Cleaner and letting it dry really well... I pour the sealant into a cup and brush (use a cheap paint brush) the sealant onto the top. Let the sealant cure for 24 hours.. Oh, don't freak out when the sealant form tiny crystals on the top as you brush it on.. Those will wipe right off after it's all cured.. The top will bead water / resist dirt for a long, long time - a yearly thing,,,

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
I gave it a shot this morning. In preparation I waxed the car and did Megiuar's Natural Shine on all the rubber trim.

With the top down I made sure I did the Natural Shine on the rubber as well.
After reading about the product on Amazon and all the dire warnings about not letting the stuff get on rubber, paint, or glass, I prepped the car.

The biggest step was to put blue painter's tape around the rubber seals underneath the back window. The tape wouldn't stick so I had to use masking tape to hold the blue tape in place.

Again do this with the top down.

Then I raised the top but didn't latch it and was able to put a big drop cloth under the roof.

My technique was starting the big top secton use the sprayer and spay some then I used a small paint brush to even it out and massage it in.
Seemed to work!

The cloth turned darker probably because it was wet. Decided to do another coat.

About 30 minutes afterwards I bravely lowered the roof so I could remove all the tape and newspaper from the back window, then raised the roof again and latched it. It's in the garage curing now but there's no reason why I couldn't drive it with the top up

in all took about 45 min for the taping, 30 minutes to apply the stuff.
My analness paid off, no product on rubber, glass or paint :)

I used about 80% of the bottle in the kit

willyms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I like using 303 products. I use their protectant for rubber/plastic pieces. It leaves a clean look finish.

Sponsored

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
The 303 kit was good while it lasted. Drove for almost 8 hours non stop rain today.

The roof seems to be damp and water no longer beads on it.

I'll do another coat soon as weather permits.

To 303's credit, 8 hours of non stop rain is a boat load of car washes worth of water

86merc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I use RaggTopp and have used it since 2004 on three Mustang convertibles. It works great and no need for all that tape and drop cloth madness.

http://www.autogeek.net/racotopcakit.html
That is what my buddy who runs a interior and trim shop said they used and recommended. My GF had a new top installed by insurance at a different shop. They also recommended the same stuff. We installed it in June of 2014 and there has been no reason to clean and reseal it yet. Great product.
Sponsored