Sponsored

GT350 Engine Mounts (prevent headers from rubbing)

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
So with aftermarket headers, I noticed that when performing hard turns during racing, the headers are rubbing up against the A/C line and also the frame of the car on the opposite side. I can see the marks on the headers from both sides.

My local shop suggested that I could get aftermarket racing engine mounts, but that the vibration would be transferred to the cabin. Although it's my second time racing, it's a little annoying that everyone keeps thinking my car is breaking because they hear the rubbing during turns. It also makes me a little more cautious to not take the turn as hard as I probably can, which affects my time.

Does anyone have aftermarket engine mounts or have had these in the past and can share some experience? I'm wondering if the vibration transferred to the cabin would be tolerable.
Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Shouldn't you go back to the header supplier inform them and make corrections.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I don't have a GT350 but I have Steeda engine mounts with the red bushings and added NVH is very minimal. Can hear the engine work a wee bit more. About it...

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
So with aftermarket headers, I noticed that when performing hard turns during racing, the headers are rubbing up against the A/C line and also the frame of the car on the opposite side. I can see the marks on the headers from both sides.

My local shop suggested that I could get aftermarket racing engine mounts, but that the vibration would be transferred to the cabin. Although it's my second time racing, it's a little annoying that everyone keeps thinking my car is breaking because they hear the rubbing during turns. It also makes me a little more cautious to not take the turn as hard as I probably can, which affects my time.

Does anyone have aftermarket engine mounts or have had these in the past and can share some experience? I'm wondering if the vibration transferred to the cabin would be tolerable.
I'd send them back. Mods should fit you shouldn't have to buy additional things to make them work

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I'd send them back. Mods should fit you shouldn't have to buy additional things to make them work
I wish this were true. I'd be a lot richer!:D

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
This is why im very very selective of the mods I do. Im to old for going back and forth.
On the late model cars its been pretty straight forward, mods on the 50 year old mustangs and 60 year old pickups i have done always start out as a weekend job and end up being several weeks and many additional part$...

VUDUGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350R Shadow Black

I'll look and see if I can notice any marks on my headers. So you are hearing it rubbing during turns on a track? My first track day is coming up and now I'm going to be hypervigilant about this!

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I'll look and see if I can notice any marks on my headers. So you are hearing it rubbing during turns on a track? My first track day is coming up and now I'm going to be hypervigilant about this!
Yep. American Racing longtubes. I wouldn't give the exhaust back despite having this problem.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I have ARH long tubes and don't have a single issue with them. Are you certain who ever installed the headers tightened the motor mounts after installing the headers. Also if the engine / headers are making chassis contact your knock sensors will pick this up and retard timing and reduce power.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I have ARH long tubes and don't have a single issue with them. Are you certain who ever installed the headers tightened the motor mounts after installing the headers. Also if the engine / headers are making chassis contact your knock sensors will pick this up and retard timing and reduce power.
Pretty sure. Have you taken your car auto X'ing or on a race course? I've had the system installed for months and never felt it either until I did my first auto X session. I brought it back to the shop and they checked everything and all they pretty much work on every day all day are mustangs around here. Did all the work on my vert too, but I'd be very surprised. Even with the car standing still, there's very little space where the headers and the frame meet. Can you also take a picture of yours? I'll post mine tomorrow, but it's a very little gap.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Haven't heard back from American Racing yet, but going to follow up with them on Monday. [MENTION=19530]Voodooo[/MENTION] I'd be curious to know if you've opened up the car quite a bit and made some hard turns. It's really hard to reproduce on the streets, even trying my hardest.

Here's a picture of the clearance I have on the passenger side. It's almost just as close on the driver side as well, but to the chassis.

zmvLu9.jpg

Last edited:

NYC350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R,2011Raptor Supercharged,2018 Raptor , 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
from my previous experience with ARH don't expect much help from them ( i live 45 minutes from they shop and got terrible customer service for my Raptor and Corvette headers). eventually, I switched to Kooks.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
from my previous experience with ARH don't expect much help from them ( i live 45 minutes from they shop and got terrible customer service for my Raptor and Corvette headers). eventually, I switched to Kooks.
Damn. That's very disappointing to hear. The owner seemed like a really really cool guy, but idk anyone else there and it seems to be hard to get in touch with him, lol. :(
Sponsored