Sponsored

Oil change scams

Nightblue3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP
Before getting my 2016 Ecoboost, i was driving a 07 Toyota Camry. I've never changed the oil myself. Honestly didn't even consider to do it myself.
However, after seeing this video i can swear to you that I've been a victim of such a scam. Since then i decided to do the whole scheduled maintenance myself (following the owner's manual)

What do you guys think of this scam in the video? Do you think it might have happened to you?

P.S: I'm not saying that all oil changes are like this, but the point is no one will take a really good care of your baby like you do !

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]-avpx8UTakI[/MEDIA]"]
Sponsored

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
No. I always change the fluids myself. Way back when we used to have service stations the attendant would start pumping the gasoline and then pop the hood and check the fluids. I know this guy that worked at one of those service stations. When he pulled the motor oil dipstick he would wipe his thumb across it and it looked like the oil was a quart low. So naturally the customer said go ahead and put in a quart. And he always had an empty can and pretended to put in a quart. And back then our oil cans were cardboard with steel tops and bottoms and we all had metal spouts to puncture the can and pour the oil. And there was 24 quarts to a case then.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Perpetuated by people that have become increasingly ignorant about their car and how to even check the oil, not much sympathy for them.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Never happen to me, I do my own oil changes, always have.

And that video is from the Calgary Bubblegum Corporation, which tends to have a sketchy rap right now for their "investigative reporting". Older Canadians, those who remember Wayne & Shuster, will get the CBC reference above.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I do my own oil changes as well. I just changed the trans fluid along with the differential fluid myself, also. Too many shysters and idiots out there to leave it to chance.

Sponsored

RNstanger

V8 Goodness
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I started doing oil changes on my car when I was 19. A buddy of mine always worked his car and taught me how to do all the maintenance stuff myself. I'm glad I knew him because it kept me from having crap like this happen. Almost 30 years later, and I still haven't taken any of my last 9 cars to the dealer or auto garage. I just did my first oil change today and found that my oil filter seemed to have a small leak. Apparently, it seemed it wasn't tight enough from the factory. Was pretty easy to remove by hand. It wasn't enough that it would leak on the garage floor but noticed it on the panel. When I removed the panel I noticed oil on the filter. I'll keep an eye on it. But yeah, oil changes are so quick and easy. Just learn to jack the car up so you can do it yourself.

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
My dealership does 15 dollar oil changes for customers, I just drop her off there when they have time. I shoot the shit with the mechanics while they work. Anything more than that and I have a local shop I trust with my car.

OP
OP
Nightblue3

Nightblue3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After all your responses I'm glad to see that you guys do take good care of your car.
A simple thing such as an oil change should be done by ourselves, also i have a good amount of knowledge to maintain other stuff too such as the fluid changes/flushes in the car. You'd be surprised what you are capable of when you try it yourself !

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Ive seen this video before. They still do the oil change, they are also trying to sell you additional services. So, in some cases it maybe truly helpful, but Its wrong if they lie to you about what is needed or don't do the work that they charge you for.

OP
OP
Nightblue3

Nightblue3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ive seen this video before. They still do the oil change, they are also trying to sell you additional services. So, in some cases it maybe truly helpful, but Its wrong if they lie to you about what is needed or don't do the work that they charge you for.
Or simply open the owner's manual and it will tell you what needs to be done and do it yourself or with a friend's help. after all its recommended by manufacturer and it's pretty much detailed:ford:.

No one is touching my baby anymore ! :paddle:

Sponsored

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently, it seemed it wasn't tight enough from the factory. Was pretty easy to remove by hand.
You and I must have had different guys. I just about had a hernia getting my factory filter off.

RNstanger

V8 Goodness
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You and I must have had different guys. I just about had a hernia getting my factory filter off.
:lol:

Good thing. I've already had a hernia repair. Didn't want to have to get another one.
Sponsored