Sponsored

Canadian Owner advice needed

TrooperX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jetta
firstly i have two questions after doing some research i have found that the 12" digital tach will be standard on the premium package for the global platform mustang (as well as other things such as leather seats and the list goes on)

i tried to gather some information since i know the Canadian spec's of the mustang differ greatly when compared to the American spec's for example the Americans get cloth seats as base and us Canadians don't even have cloth as an option.

my question is: Will we (Canadians) get the "global version" of the mustang?:ford:

Second question: is what are your current experiences with Canadian ford dealers?:headbonk: and is there any you would recommend in Ontario? and do we qualify for X-Plan (or is that U.S only)?

Third question: how is it like daily driving your mustang in our lovely cold country (i know there is a already a thread on winter driving, but everyone on that thread is American as far as i can tell) just would like a Canadian perspective on this.
Sponsored

YellowMelo28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I don't think Canadians get the "Global version". The base model of any engine will have cloth seats as well in Canada i believe. I test drove a 2015 Ecoboost back when it first came out and it had cloth seats, while premium has the leather seats.

Not too familiar with winter in Toronto but over here the neighbours to your left, it isn't too bad with a nice set of winter tires. Which engine are you planning on getting? My previous Ecoboost did pretty well in the winter but would get stuck sometimes. The GT on the other hand, just experienced its first winter. I feel the GT loses traction more compared to the Ecoboost but it isnt too bad. Also feel that the extra power from the GT gets you out of the snow easier if you do get stuck.

OP
OP

TrooperX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jetta
I don't think Canadians get the "Global version". The base model of any engine will have cloth seats as well in Canada i believe. I test drove a 2015 Ecoboost back when it first came out and it had cloth seats, while premium has the leather seats.
I think you are right, i just went through the configuration online and i see that cloth is an option there. but the two dealers that i went to gave me the wrong information i guess.

I am just trying to get an idea of what to expect for the 2018 and how many boxes i need to check to get the car that i would like.

i was considering the GT and planning to daily it (although i rarely drive during the week due to work) from what i read i think you are right with a good set of winter tires you should be good, but you can only learn so much from reading... :frusty:

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Which Mustang were you planning on buying?

I think your referring to last gen Mustangs. GTs in Canada came with leather no cloth 2011-2014.

I have a GT base with cloth seats. All premium models have leather.

And yes many daily there cars on here with no issues. Winter tires are a must.

Here we don't have xplan. Just $1000 off with Costco membership.

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
a

my question is: Will we (Canadians) get the "global version" of the mustang?:ford:
- Pretty sure we get NA spec Mustangs as they are manufactured in Flat Rock plant in Michigan. Seeing US Mustangs in US, I did not see any differences like you do with EU or AUS models

Second question: is what are your current experiences with Canadian ford dealers?:headbonk: and is there any you would recommend in Ontario? and do we qualify for X-Plan (or is that U.S only)?
There are many that are bad, but there are many that are good! This will depend on where you are or where you are willing to drive. It says you are in Toronto, so my personal recommendations are Summit Ford SVT (bought my first 2 Mustangs there) and Erinwood Ford (just ordered a new one there). Summit is a smaller dealership and Erinwood moves a crapload of cars so you might see bigger discounts there.

Pretty sure x-plan is US only, so unless you are working at a Ford something, you are at the mercy of rotating discounts. Things to expect:

- low price discounts + low interest rates
- high price discounts + standard interest rates

These essentially rotate. If you want the most discount off the price of the car wait for employee pricing events. They usually yield the most off MSRP + Costco $1000 off bonus. I just ordered my new GT during $1000 off year end + $750 autoshow and 0.99% interest on 4 year lease (plus some $$ off MSRP). They won't tell you when is what obviously, you just gotta ask around or know about it from experience (like buying 3 Mustangs in 2 years).

Third question: how is it like daily driving your mustang in our lovely cold country (i know there is a already a thread on winter driving, but everyone on that thread is American as far as i can tell) just would like a Canadian perspective on this.
Just like any other car with a RWD twist. As long as you buy proper winter tires and drive normal (not like it's Summer outside) you'll be just fine. I was in the exact same spot before and lived while having a good time. Pick your battles - if it's a snowstorm and you dont have to drive then better be safe then sorry. We do not have constant snow on the ground in Toronto, it's usually salted away over night. You are still at the mercy of other idiots on the road so you can only drive so perfectly. I mean, this is coming from someone who never drove RWD ever before and spent a winter in an auto v6, then another winter in a manual v6 (first year driving stick) and now I'm getting a GT that will also be winter driven. Hell, if my mom can do it (she drives the auto v6 I had) you'll be fine. I would still recommend to go to a snow covered lot sometime, turn all the nannies off and have a bit of fun...you know...for science and to learn how the car handles and reacts to snow so you will be prepared in the future.

The only bad thing is that people will tell you how stupid you are for winter driving your Mustang. Well, frankly, I don't give a shit AND I don't have a winter Mustang withdrawl, so...:crazy:

Ok I'll ranting now...:headbonk:

Sponsored

Phormz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang
-There are many that are bad, but there are many that are good! This will depend on where you are or where you are willing to drive. It says you are in Toronto, so my personal recommendations are Summit Ford SVT (bought my first 2 Mustangs there) and Erinwood Ford (just ordered a new one there). Summit is a smaller dealership and Erinwood moves a crapload of cars so you might see bigger discounts there.
I was also going to mention Erinwood because that's where I ended up getting mine after being lied to by my local dealership.

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
If you do go to Erinwood, talk to Spencer McGrath. He's a good friend that sells cars there, he'll take care of you.

ALLKHEINZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Go see Bill Aitken at Heritage Ford tell him Heinz sent you....hes the only guy i ever deal with....hes on Kingston Road in Scarborough

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Go see Bill Aitken at Heritage Ford tell him Heinz sent you....hes the only guy i ever deal with....hes on Kingston Road in Scarborough

+1 on Heritage, only I dealt with Clinton Brown. Great guy, went way above and beyond to accommodate our needs. Couldn't ask for better.

OP
OP

TrooperX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jetta
[MENTION=25613]Monopoly[/MENTION] i was thinking of getting the 2018 GT premium, since this will be my first brand new car (not a used one with all the headaches) i was going to finance it and wanted to get the most for my buck. the global platform mustang comes with so much as standard.

[MENTION=18281]Mustang_Eh[/MENTION] thank you for the awesome rant and advice, i couldnt stop laughing and of course in the name of science i will go to parking lot and test skid patterns just in case of course.. and good advice about the rotating discounts, i see you leased yours would you guys advise me not to finance since the next gen mustang is right around the corner?

[MENTION=27365]Phormz[/MENTION] [MENTION=18427]ALLKHEINZ[/MENTION] [MENTION=26599]JohnD[/MENTION] i havent been to heritage, but i shall definitely go. i went to younge and steeles ford and they didnt even bother to take me seriously.. i asked about information and they kept making jokes like i cant afford a car there and kept asking me to prove my payment even when i had 10k in cash for a down payment.. i was so angry almost to the point that i didnt want to get a ford but its been a dream of mine to get a mustang gt. To be fair i am in my mid-late twenties but still i wasn't even treated like a normal customer. but i went all the way north to McAlpine Ford and they took me serious~ish

Sponsored

ALLKHEINZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Again go see Bill Aitken....he is the General sales manager...so you cut out the "salesman" pitch...i have bought about 30 cars off him so drop my name...age doesnt matter in his wyes cash is green in anyones hands...he will take care of you...they even do some stuff for the Leafs, they built Mitch Marner his f150....Bill is a great guy to deal with straight shooter, trust me call him 416 261-3311. Cheers

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
[MENTION=18281]Mustang_Eh[/MENTION] thank you for the awesome rant and advice, i couldnt stop laughing and of course in the name of science i will go to parking lot and test skid patterns just in case of course.. and good advice about the rotating discounts, i see you leased yours would you guys advise me not to finance since the next gen mustang is right around the corner?
Lease vs finance is strictly based on your needs and wants. In simplest terms, lease is for someone that switches cars often and only wants to deal with brand new vehicles. Finance is for someone that wants to own the car after the loan is paid for.

Personally, I just traded my financed 1 year old v6 for a lease GT. Why did I lease? Because I'm pretty sure in 2+ years I will want to do the same thing, but I will at least have a lease takeover to help me get rid of the car rather then take a huge loss on the trade again.

At the end of the day, it's entirely up to you to decide whether you want to lease or finance the 2017 or 2018. It's all about what you want out of the car and how much you are willing to pay for it.

ZFLYN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 mustang V6 -> 2016 GTPP 6M
Speaking of Global version means what European &Asian version you mean. they not only get de-tuned version but also limited option unlike NA. This is such a fortunate for us that we get US version. (Consider 435hp vs 422hp).

I will highly recommend Barrie ford if you want recommendation.

I bought 2 Stangs in 1 year which was from V6 to GT.

I had really bad experience with Erinwood and they messed up my application and got rejected. and then, Barrie Ford spent few weeks to get it fixed with Ford Credit Canada and they offered really good Trade value compared to Erinwood. They even cheated me on X-plan. and again, Barrie priced me with proper X-plan.

Last Sept I went back to trade my car to get GT. I got full value for what I owed to Ford Credit.

Believe me there is reason why I have to drive all the way up to Barrie from Toronto.

Talk to Dominic/Graham that Lucian sent you. They will take care of you.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
but i went all the way north to McAlpine Ford and they took me serious~ish

Mcalpine is a small dealer. I bought mine at East Court Ford Lincoln in Scarborough. Ask for Mike Salehi. All my friends go there as well. Prices beat Mcalpine by 2 grand cheaper. (I live 10mins from there in Newmarket)

Don't bother with Shanahan Ford either. I have no idea how they are still in business.

r-model

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 1987 GT, not stock :-) DD - 2001 F150
I have purchased a '15 base GT with the performance pack and Recaros. I have been driving it daily ever since I got it :-). I hot mine from Colony Ford in Brampton, I deal with Mike Heberle there, he game a killer deal which just about can't be beat!
Sponsored