Sponsored

Tire options for track days

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
[MENTION=7179]SVTDSM[/MENTION] [MENTION=27581]1stGT350[/MENTION] [MENTION=22007]oldmachguy[/MENTION]

-Do you guys have R's and if so, are you having this outer front tire wear on OEM R wheels or aftermarket aluminum wheels?
Sponsored

1stGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
My car is a TP with light alum wheels made to R spec's. I was using track tire data from my GT3, big mistake.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Tire wear also has to do with the track's abrasiveness and how fast you drive (slow = last longer).

So are all of you guys wearing out the inner or outer edge of your front tires? Also, are you on OEM R wheels or aftermarket aluminum?

[MENTION=7179]SVTDSM[/MENTION] - Same question. Also, do the PSC2, R888R, & NT01 all last about the same on track?
I have a GT350 (non-R) and am running the OEM MPSS tires and OEM wheels.

Corded the INSIDE edge of the fronts after 3 track days and 21,000 miles. Running the OEM alignment (have not had it measured yet, but will likely do that next time I take the car in).

I am now on my second set of MPSS tires, and have 4000 miles and one track day on that set (25,000 total miles on the car). Wear looks even so far.

On my 350Z I ran the R888 tires (245/40-18 square setup). They did quite well in terms of wear, usually lasting several years (would heat cycle out before wearing out it seems). Maybe 12-15 track days. Probably 60-80 sessions.

I will probably stay with the MPSS (or MP4S) on the GT350, since those tires are a nice street/track combo. After 10+ years of swapping brake pads and tires with the Z, it is nice to have a car that doesn't really require any changes for track driving.

-T

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I have a GT350 (non-R) and am running the OEM MPSS tires and OEM wheels.

Corded the INSIDE edge of the fronts after 3 track days and 21,000 miles. Running the OEM alignment (have not had it measured yet, but will likely do that next time I take the car in).

I am now on my second set of MPSS tires, and have 4000 miles and one track day on that set (25,000 total miles on the car). Wear looks even so far.

-T
When you get it measured could you share what you found?

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
My car is a TP with light alum wheels made to R spec's. I was using track tire data from my GT3, big mistake.
Hot pressures sound good, but if the sticky R7s are wearing the outer edge, you need more camber.

Sponsored

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I should have also mentioned this is running in advanced group, and often even driven by my driver coach and IMSA Pro Jade Buford, so it's being pushed really hard all the ..
Cool you’ve got him as a driving coach. He definitely knows this car. Curious how much faster he is than you?

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Cool you’ve got him as a driving coach. He definitely knows this car. Curious how much faster he is than you?
Yep, Jade is the Man!

At NCM or Barber Jade is 2-4 seconds a lap faster than your average advanced driver. Using NCM as an example, when I first started working with Jade, my best lap in my R was a respectable 2:17.7, Jade took me for a humbling ride in my car, and ran a 2:14.2! Fast forward to 2 weekends ago, I ran a new personal best of 2:15.5. Jade Drove my car that same Morning and although he ran into traffic at the end of his best lap which resulted in a 2:17, I was able to go back and compare our sector 1 times from both of our best laps, and much to my surprise, we were dead nuts even both with a 1:24.82! That being said, I'd still say Jade is a solid second a lap faster than me in my own car.

Reactions: CSL

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Yep, Jade is the Man!

At NCM or Barber Jade is 2-4 seconds a lap faster than your average advanced driver. Using NCM as an example, when I first started working with Jade, my best lap in my R was a respectable 2:17.7, Jade took me for a humbling ride in my car, and ran a 2:14.2! Fast forward to 2 weekends ago, I ran a new personal best of 2:15.5. Jade Drove my car that same Morning and although he ran into traffic at the end of his best lap which resulted in a 2:17, I was able to go back and compare our sector 1 times from both of our best laps, and much to my surprise, we were dead nuts even both with a 1:24.82! That being said, I'd still say Jade is a solid second a lap faster than me in my own car.
Great stuff....people always talk about spending money to make their car faster, but with this car money is much better spent on a driving coach. Have fun out there!

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Does anyone have experience with the R888R and how it compares to the R888 or NT01?

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Great stuff....people always talk about spending money to make their car faster, but with ANY car money is much better spent on a driving coach. Have fun out there!
FTFY.

My race car is a lowly (but massively fun) E36 BMW, and last time I used a good driver coach (not pro, but national-champ level amateur racer), I found I was consistently ~1-1.5s/lap slower around Mid-Ohio. We were doing car setup that day, swapping sessions, tweaking the suspension, tire pressures, rinse/repeat. At the start of the day I was running 1:51 and he was running 1:50. At the end of the day, I was running 1:48 and he was running 1:47. So I was driving hard enough to take advantage of the setup improvements, but not enough to close up the gap. Digging into the data, I could see that almost all of the time was in the two fastest corners on the track ... basically the "cojones factor," LOL. Need more seat time ... always better than more mods. Always.

Sponsored

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Who is going to be the first to run the Goodyear Supercar 3R? This is the OEM tire on the Camaro ZL1-1LE. They're well priced...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+Supercar+3R&partnum=03YR9F1S3R
Did they make these just for Shelby's? Only 2 sizes, just what we need. I am about the buy some track tires and am inclined to buy some of these. How new are they? Usually get Hoosiers, but these are about $100 a corner cheaper. Given I am buying 3 sets, that adds up. I do not see any reviews about these at all. :shrug:

DirtRoadTrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Did they make these just for Shelby's? Only 2 sizes, just what we need. I am about the buy some track tires and am inclined to buy some of these. How new are they? Usually get Hoosiers, but these are about $100 a corner cheaper. Given I am buying 3 sets, that adds up. I do not see any reviews about these at all. :shrug:
They are made for the Camaro ZL1-1LE, which is a comparable car. Read some of the reviews of that car - at least one magazine credited these tires for being "as fast as" PSC2s, but with less falloff during a track session. I'm currently running NT-01s in 305/30/19 square, and when they wear out, I might try these depending on what prices look like between the 2 at that time. Sometimes Discount Tire throws crazy sales on Nittos, and I can't not buy them...

1stGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Stuntman, my first thought was more camber but having about 3neg now, I think it is more low tire pressure and going to hard too fast. I think I may try a stiffer rear sway bar and have hot pressures over 40 as Hoosier recommends.

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
at least one magazine credited these tires for being "as fast as" PSC2s, but with less falloff during a track session. ...
that's what I've read too. seems like Goodyear handles heat better, but comes up to temp slower (bad for auto-x).

only 2 sizes from Goodyear. may be 305 square, or 305 front, 325 rear.
Sponsored