Sponsored

Boost a pump, when is it needed?

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
As far as I know, the Roush Stage 1 and the KB 2.3 kits do not require a BAP. They both use 47 lb injectors I believe. My Magnuson uses 52 lb injectors. I spoke with Lund, and they require a SC tune to have a BAP installed. Probably just insurance is my guess. Ive read somewhere that 600 RWHP is the max before a BAP is needed. It cant "hurt" to have a BAP if you are under that HP mark I guess. Its potentially another thing that could fail at some point and wanted to get input from you guys here. Thanks.
Sponsored

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
As far as I know, the Roush Stage 1 and the KB 2.3 kits do not require a BAP. They both use 47 lb injectors I believe. My Magnuson uses 52 lb injectors. I spoke with Lund, and they require a SC tune to have a BAP installed. Probably just insurance is my guess. Ive read somewhere that 600 RWHP is the max before a BAP is needed. It cant "hurt" to have a BAP if you are under that HP mark I guess. Its potentially another thing that could fail at some point and wanted to get input from you guys here. Thanks.
you answered your own question. its $200 and not that hard to install.

get it.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I always wonder wouldn't it cause the fuel pump to fail if you send too much voltage to it?
Is it gonna have enough cooling? Kinda scary to over drive a fuel pump.

Phoenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always wonder wouldn't it cause the fuel pump to fail if you send too much voltage to it?
Is it gonna have enough cooling? Kinda scary to over drive a fuel pump.
keep enough fuel in the tank and it will be fine. pumps are $100 a piece.

getting the basket out of the car is a 15 minute job.

if the pump fails your car doesnt instantly go kablammo.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I'm sure every tuner has his/her recommendations.

Fonse Performance tuned mine, and said they draw the line at 650whp before a BAP is mandatory.

Again, I'm sure its not a bad thing to have on a base level SC kit such as the Roush Stage 1, but its not essential for safe operation.

I'm on the Procharger HO kit, 1000cc injectors, no BAP, datalogged and dialed in on 91 octane, fueling is all on point with a good safety margin in case of a bad tank of gas.

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Personally I run a fuel pressure gauge with a low warning buzzer. That way if im at WOT and i hear it go off, I can get off the throttle ASAP to not lean out the engine, which I've been told can be fatal to the motor if your at WOT.

Phoenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personally I run a fuel pressure gauge with a low warning buzzer. That way if im at WOT and i hear it go off, I can get off the throttle ASAP to not lean out the engine, which I've been told can be fatal to the motor if your at WOT.
i tried to make a hit after my pump shit the bed and it just wanted to add like 5 or 6 degrees of timing and bucked like a bronco.
ive also had it starve for fuel mid pass too, i guess my car is a ticking time bomb lol.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
A pump failure in most cases WILL NOT cause a catastrophic failure of the engine. pistons and rings fail when the mixture is extremely lean, but there still needs to be fuel there, complete lack of fuel means nothing to burn, which means no power, motor just putters out, car noses over like someone just turned off the key

Rod bearing failures occur when one or more cylinder stops firing/loses power/preignites, such as a bad injector(s) or a bad tune, but the other cylinders are firing full swing, causes a terrible imbalance and usually results in a rod bearing failure on the dead/knocking cylinder(s). A pump failure would be a universal reduction in power to all cylinders and doesn't usually result in a rod bearing failure.

Not that it cant happen, but just thought I would share my experience.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Momentarily lean is not a big issue. Now if you are driving on lean for thousands of miles straight.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Usually when a car runs lean enough that it could cause damage the cel will flash consecutively instead of just staying lite.

Sponsored

Phoenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Usually when a car runs lean enough that it could cause damage the cel will flash consecutively instead of just staying lite.
scary as fuck at about the 330' mark on a 1/4 mi pass.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
A pump failure in most cases WILL NOT cause a catastrophic failure of the engine. pistons and rings fail when the mixture is extremely lean, but there still needs to be fuel there, complete lack of fuel means nothing to burn, which means no power, motor just putters out, car noses over like someone just turned off the key

Rod bearing failures occur when one or more cylinder stops firing/loses power/preignites, such as a bad injector(s) or a bad tune, but the other cylinders are firing full swing, causes a terrible imbalance and usually results in a rod bearing failure on the dead/knocking cylinder(s). A pump failure would be a universal reduction in power to all cylinders and doesn't usually result in a rod bearing failure.

Not that it cant happen, but just thought I would share my experience.
Thanks for the clarification, that's relieving.

r1lovin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
I have a jms bap for sale. I sent you a pm.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
yep, cheap insurance
Sponsored