Steeda Billet Shock Mounts installed

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I finally got my Steeda billet rear shock mounts installed today. Also added along with Maximum Motorsports CC plates and new tires. I've been wanting to install the rear shock mounts for sometime in hopes of removing the oscillation bounce and binding I've been experiencing. Those of you that have been having similar problems probably have been following this subject. After I installed RLCA bearing is when I noticed it the most but has probably been happening all along - just less noticeable.

So after new rubber, new CC plates, new alignment, new rear shock mounts - I am able to give my initial impressions. I also trimmed my bumpstops to 1-1/2" per [MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION] 's recommendation, and they actually cut off a good bit of the bumpstops.

It started pouring almost right as I picked up the car from the shop so that kind've out a damper on my excitement. But nevertheless I drove home. I noticed a change almost immediately. On the drive home I felt a more compliant ride. Bumps felt not as jarring and it overall felt smoother. Unfortunately the rain sort've kept my attention.

Later after it dried a bit I drove to the store and again felt more compliant. On the rougher roads near my house it felt noticeably more composed. The high frequency oscillations are gone or significantly reduced in my initial impressions. There is still a bounce because the LCA bearing and other IRS parts I have make the car react quicker so that's to be expected and I am aware of that. But the rear shocks feel better at controlling things.

Some of the compliant ride may be partially due to the new tires and being better than what I had. And also the spherical bearing in the MM plates may help as well. But the main issue I had was in the rear not the front. The rear is more compliant so far - yes. I'm running Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires on the car now. So far I feel the ride is a lot more refined. It's hard to explain but that's my feelings so far. Still some bounce but none so far that feel out of place. On bad roads of course that's there but it felt different. On regular roads it felt great and refined and on the bumpy roads it's like hey- this is not bad at all! And small bumps are much less unsettling to the car.

For just a short time driving it, I've very impressed by the difference the Steeda mounts seem to have made. And they are impressive looking on the car. More to come after more seat time. Thus far it feels great!
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
:clap2:

The big things I noticed were the composure over less than perfect roads and the lack of oscillation. If you get a road with repeating larger bumps it's still going to "bounce" but no more than any other car. One and done. It lets the shocks actually damp the motion before an oscillation starts. No more sitting on the highway bouncing up and down in my seat at high-ish frequency on certain roads.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Great to hear & Steeda Tech definitely knows the ins & outs!

Have a great night.

TJ

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
:clap2:

The big things I noticed were the composure over less than perfect roads and the lack of oscillation. If you get a road with repeating larger bumps it's still going to "bounce" but no more than any other car. One and done. It lets the shocks actually damp the motion before an oscillation starts. No more sitting on the highway bouncing up and down in my seat at high-ish frequency on certain roads.
That's what I noticed thus far too. My street is an especially bumpy, ripped up and lumpy road. I feel less binding and overal composure- bumps are felt but feel handled. Before I felt major oscillations at times and felt like a skipping motion - general less traction in those situations.

Haven't felt anything like that so far. Just overall feels better. And also doesn't feel like I'm riding on springs actually. I can feel the shocks damping.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
[MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION] that's awesome progress, congrats! I know you've been chasing this for a while. Glad you got it mostly sorted out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
[MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION] that's awesome progress, congrats! I know you've been chasing this for a while. Glad you got it mostly sorted out.
Thank you [MENTION=15518]jbailer[/MENTION]. Yes - progress for sure. I've been chasing this a long time. This might've helped me earlier in my journey and wish I had tried it sooner. And I think people need to pay attention to their bump stops too. I am willing to bet that is contributing to the improvement. Definitely not placebo I feel a difference for sure.:headbang:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you [MENTION=15518]jbailer[/MENTION]. Yes - progress for sure. I've been chasing this a long time. This might've helped me earlier in my journey and wish I had tried it sooner. And I think people need to pay attention to their bump stops too. I am willing to bet that is contributing to the improvement. Definitely not placebo I feel a difference for sure.:headbang:
On the bigger bumps, yes.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
On the bigger bumps, yes.
Let me clarify. I am not sure if the bumpstops are helping but I do feel a difference with the mounts, and I don't think this is placebo effect.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Let me clarify. I am not sure if the bumpstops are helping but I do feel a difference with the mounts, and I don't think this is placebo effect.
Were your rear bump stops still at factory length? 2 years ago, that was the popular advise, 1" drop no need to trim the bump stops. You should have seen mine when I pulled them out to trim them! They looked like I was riding on them non-stop. So I trimmed the factory stops, see the pic below. I was still hitting on them a little bit and replaced them with the Steeda adjustable bump stops. At that point, only the rear, using the short one. That was even further improvement over the trimmed factory. The problem with trimming the factory is you get left with that hard plastic black reinforcement ring left right near the top, no give. The few times you are hitting them, they don't do very well.

I did the shock mounts separately and you're definitely correct, it's not placebo effect. I went into it very skeptical expecting no or very little improvement, thinking maybe it was placebo effect for others. Worst case, I would have very nice shock mounts that I didn't have to worry about. I was very pleasantly surprised to feel the improvement. Kind of like your experience though, it's not like they solve everything. I don't think there is 1 magic bullet to cure the stock bouncy ride at least not on the PP. I have seen improvements from separate installs of my Steeda springs, dampers, shock mounts and bump stops.
bumpstop.jpg

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Installed mine last weekend...havent driven it since. Im a pathetic loser.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Installed mine last weekend...havent driven it since. Im a pathetic loser.
I went for a week without driving my car once because I was on vacation. First thing I did when I got back was went for a drive. Hopefully the next week will be better for you. :thumbsup:

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Well my DD is a Focus ST so its not like its a boring car to wheel to work and its been pouring rain here all week.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Well my DD is a Focus ST so its not like its a boring car to wheel to work and its been pouring rain here all week.
Oh! Then I don't feel so bad for you. :ford:

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Drove quite a bit more today and impressions are very similar. The ride is just flat out better. No more unsettled feeling, binding, high frequency oscillations... Just rides smoother and more refined. I've gained back some refinement that I lost by installing the aftermarket suspension parts. No, it's not a Lexus - but is it 50% towards that? Yeah, it sort've is. Bumpy roads are handled much better and controlled.

Everything is still felt though, it's a firm ride. Each bump is - UP. DOWN. Wavy pavement near traffic intersections - still bouncy, but just like any other car would be. The tire skipping, slipping feeling- gone. Bind through jounce and rebound on larger "humps"- gone.

There's this one turn near my house- I go through an intersection and there's a series of larger humps and then goes into a slight right turn as the road transitions back uphill. Over the bumps through the intersection, I could feel binding and a jiggle throughout the rear end and it affected the whole car. I couldn't go over 30 or change gears because it would make the effects worse. Then into the turn, the road looks fine (no noticeable bumps) yet it felt unsettled and generally bad. And I'm going slow mind you like 30 mph. Constant sort've bounce and weight transfer of the entire chassis. Now- I go right through the intersection - it smooths right up and down. Go into the turn, car feels flat and 100% better.

It's not going to fix things that are already there such as bumps and imperfections in the road. But the car feels more equipped to handle them and reactions are quick, more direct and less jarring overall. Yes there's still situations where bad roads will negatively impact the ride. No doubt about it. Some bounce is still there but that is just a product IMO of the car being locked down as I have made it with my setup.

Verdict: 100% worth is so far and my car experience has changed 100% for the better. This now feels like more like a luxury sports car ride imo. Still some NVH yeah but that's to be expected with my modifications. But now it's way more drivable and enjoyable. It may not have quite the refinement of a Lexus or even a BMW but it's a big step in that direction.

In addition the MM camber plates and the new tires have helped immensely. No more tramlining, steering feels excellent and nicely weighed. No more twitchy steering even on Sport mode. I'm ready for summer :)
Sponsored