Sponsored

3.55 gear ratio for V6

joonkim92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ingot silver mustang v6
So i have the stock 3.15 gear ratio and am thinking about changing to the 3.55. has anyone changed their car to 3.55 ratio from the stock 3.15? and did you have to buy a whole new pumpkin for like 800 on american muscle or can you just install the 3.55 rear gear and pinion gear?
Sponsored

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
The factory 3.15 housings re not able to be open up and have gears swapped. You need to buy a new 3.55 pumpkin

Exquisite_Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 DIB V6
The factory 3.15 housings re not able to be open up and have gears swapped. You need to buy a new 3.55 pumpkin
I've been researching this, and Phil, I believe that is incorrect.

See article below; the aluminum housing can accept a gear change, but you must also swap in the LSD or torsen diff. Also, the opposite is true. There are FI GT guys putting 3.15 gears in their non-aluminum housings.

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/drivetrain/2015-mustang-rearend-build-and-upgrades-with-ford-performance/

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
You best bet is to put a complete pumpkin from a salvage yard. I've seen them as low as $300 used from LKQ.

Sponsored

GilSilcox

Gil
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang
I replaced the whole pumpkin this past winter. Also you have to change the as-built due the gear ratio is adjusted in the bcm so a tuner won't change it. Love the car with the 3.55. Not a cheap mod but well worth it imho

Jetboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem / 1999 Yellow GT Convt.
I bought mine with the 3.55 option and its a perfect gear in my opinion!

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
I've been researching this, and Phil, I believe that is incorrect.

See article below; the aluminum housing can accept a gear change, but you must also swap in the LSD or torsen diff. Also, the opposite is true. There are FI GT guys putting 3.15 gears in their non-aluminum housings.

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/drivetrain/2015-mustang-rearend-build-and-upgrades-with-ford-performance/
Exactly, and why would someone spend 775 on a torsen, 190 on gears, plus money for the install kit and the labor of swapping everything when you can buy a brand new iron diff all complete with 355 or 373 gears for 900. Doesnt seem to make any sense.

Exquisite_Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 DIB V6
Exactly, and why would someone spend 775 on a torsen, 190 on gears, plus money for the install kit and the labor of swapping everything when you can buy a brand new iron diff all complete with 355 or 373 gears for 900. Doesnt seem to make any sense.
You didn't say it was financially unwise, you said it wasn't possible. Just trying to prevent misinformation on an already murky subject.

For someone like me, looking for a 3.73 but not interested in a torsen, $200 on a gear and $200 on an LSD diff can be a cost effective solution. And I don't have to go pumpkin hunting.

Sponsored

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
You just need a differential....which is not the pumpkin. Those are all the same, gt, v6 and eb. Automatic pumpkins are alum tho. I bought everything to put 373s in my car, just havnt had time to do it yet

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
You just need a differential....which is not the pumpkin. Those are all the same, gt, v6 and eb. Automatic pumpkins are alum tho. I bought everything to put 373s in my car, just havnt had time to do it yet
That was my understanding also, first thing I wanted was gears. Then I read on American Muscle that you had to install a different differential or as us old guys called a carrier. By the way why would Ford do this anyway, to increase cash flow maybe?? So recently went back to AM and can't find that reference anymore. So is it just a matter of a different, lets just call it the thingy that the ring gear bolts to, or is the entire housing required??

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I think the 3.15 aluminum housing is too small for the larger diameter 3.55 ring gear. So you would have to exchange the entire pumpkin.

If I get a 10spd car, then I will no longer care about performance-vs-mileage trade-off.

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
I think the 3.15 aluminum housing is too small for the larger diameter 3.55 ring gear. So you would have to exchange the entire pumpkin.

If I get a 10spd car, then I will no longer care about performance-vs-mileage trade-off.
Finally something that seems to make sense. So the 3.15 gears have an aluminum housing while everything else has a cast iron one. It still doesn't make any sense why Ford would make the housings a different size internally, I can understand the reasoning for different materials. It's almost like they got a real deal on the housings somewhere then had to redesign to fit the physically larger gears.:doh: Had I known this two years ago I'd probably still be driving my Grabber Blue 2012.

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
Finally something that seems to make sense. So the 3.15 gears have an aluminum housing while everything else has a cast iron one. It still doesn't make any sense why Ford would make the housings a different size internally, I can understand the reasoning for different materials. It's almost like they got a real deal on the housings somewhere then had to redesign to fit the physically larger gears.:doh: Had I known this two years ago I'd probably still be driving my Grabber Blue 2012.
No the 3.15 comes in either iron or aluminum. Automatic is aluminum manual is iron. Housing are different material but the same dimensionally
Sponsored