Cold air intakes=useless?

2015-MUSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Very enlightening YouTube video. Any thoughts? It pretty much busts the benefits of a CAI on turbo cars.

Sponsored

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
I can shed a bit of light from my bit of experience (simply empirical evidence from my end)

In a nutshell -- it depends on the platform.

Take a 2013 Subaru Forester XT (basically a WRX) - I use this as my example because my friend has one.
The stock intake system is extremely efficient, especially on the stock turbo -- it's common for people to do FBO and stick with the stock intake. Most people only buy a new intake -- because it doesn't flow well at higher power levels (upwards of 400whp...)
In this example, the stock system is very efficient -- and replacing it requires a re-tune.

Now -- let's use my last car.. an MK6 VW GTI.
I had a k04 turbo upgrade -- car came stock with a k03.. jumping up to this OEM, bolt on, bigger turbo -- which had the exact same turbo inlet size -- stock intake/downpipe could be used.
I cannot find the thread now, however, I read a thread saying that keeping the stock intake on the car reduced the power by nearly ~30whp on the bigger turbo - the stock intake was extremely restrictive.

Quite a few manufacturers have posted gains of at least 15whp for just installing an intake, and this is without a tune. It all adds up, if you ask me..

OP
OP
2015-MUSTANG

2015-MUSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Makes sense. I have been tossing around the idea of adding a CAI but now I don't think it would benefit my specific setup. I'm completely stock with the exception of a LMS Tune.

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
It might. I'm not sure of their gains with a CAI, but I've already ordered one.

I'm buying it so I can actually hear my turbo lol.

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto
Ugh, those two seem to be a bit on the clownish side IMO. The lack of data from anything other than air temp at the filter and dyno numbers is most telling. What was the IAT that the ECM saw stock vs cai? Air/fuel ratio? Boost level? See where I'm going with this...lol. Their "cai" was simply an open filter with no heat shield. If the filter is relocated outside the engine bay, away from engine heat, it does make a difference.

Just so happens that my neighbor has an R33 Skyline. If I get a chance, will ask him how much difference it made on his car.

Sponsored

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
My experience using a CAI on other vehicles has not been very positive other than the cool sound it makes. For this vehicle, I will spend the money elsewhere.

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
^ haven't you seen the results of JLT's intake on a 5.0? lol

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
like others have said, it really depends on the platform

the gains for the stang with EB seem decent enough to me plus if you are an eye candy guy like me, having an aftermarket intake cleans up the bay as well

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
Did you see the install/dyno of the MAP?
I agree.. unless im standing right there while they install it and dyno it i dont believe it! That said some of the CAI are very sexy and add a wonderful look and sound to an engine bay. but in today's performance cars stock intakes are already CAI systems.. Sometimes when you replace them with aftermarket you can lose power too.

Sponsored

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
If you don't believe it then I guess you won't be buying any after market parts? Unless you plan on travelling to each shop and watching them dyno the part on a car? C'mon man....

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
Like wireless said...all depends on platform and if the OE cold air box can handle the volume needed for upgraded boost. On a stock car..CAI is useless in my eyes, but once you tune and start increasing the boost I always put one on. Plus the sound is a nice benefit

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree.. unless im standing right there while they install it and dyno it i dont believe it! That said some of the CAI are very sexy and add a wonderful look and sound to an engine bay. but in today's performance cars stock intakes are already CAI systems.. Sometimes when you replace them with aftermarket you can lose power too.
Its not only power but torque ratings also people look for. I agree some can loose power but again it has to do with building the car for what you have done to it.

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
If you don't believe it then I guess you won't be buying any after market parts? Unless you plan on travelling to each shop and watching them dyno the part on a car? C'mon man....
Not really.. Tunes from reputable companies you can feel the performance. Same with a bigger Turbo. Ive bought plenty of CAI on alot of my cars and never noticed anything other then a better look and sound. A good Tune you can actually feel. If CAI were $100 bucks id buy one. But for $399 or so id rather put that money towards a good Tuner, bigger turbo,exhaust, intercooler and down pipe! But hey to each there own!

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not really.. Tunes from reputable companies you can feel the performance. Same with a bigger Turbo. Ive bought plenty of CAI on alot of my cars and never noticed anything other then a better look and sound. A good Tune you can actually feel. If CAI were $100 bucks id buy one. But for $399 or so id rather put that money towards a good Tuner, bigger turbo,exhaust, intercooler and down pipe! But hey to each there own!
$235 shipped for MAP CAI...very nice quality and at least on my butt dyno I can feel a little more torque with COBB tune
Sponsored