Convertible Problems?

JessV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Auto
Hey guys! It's been a while since I have posted here. I see the forum is still going strong! It feels good to be back.

I recently have been traveling all over the nation just for the heck of it with my buddies (you know, typical 21 year old things). We've hit up some beautiful places like the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Charlotte, you name it. Racked up 18,120 miles all together! Every time we've gone somewhere, I would always have my friend at Enterprise hook me up at a good price with a convertible EcoBoost Mustang (I still to this day believe my V6 could smoke one, lol).

The car has been fun to drive. That tune/whine of the turbo engine sounds so pleasant and addictive. I find myself always gassing it slightly so I can hear it in action. As you know, with good sometimes comes bad. Every single convertible Mustang we have rented (which is about 6) always had the same precise problems and I am wanting to reach out to the forum to see if they are common things.

1st problem is the windows. Whenever you put the top up, the rear window on the passenger side always fails to fully go up, resulting in a space big enough to stick your finger through. At first, I thought it was just a defective Mustang we received, but when it started doing the same thing on the second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth convertible, I was surprised it wasn't something that had received a recall yet. We had to grab the whole window panel with some strength in our hands and pull it up manually every time. :mad:

2nd problem is the radio. As you go to lock the top in place by the manual lumbar above, the music always cuts off for two seconds and then turns back on. What is the purpose of that?

3rd problem was pretty much addressed with some research, but it's the chassis shuddering. I've always had an eye to see that whenever you go over some rough terrain, the windshield, A-pillar always shakes like crazy. I read, however, it's a common thing with convertibles.

Other than the bird sh** splattering on the passenger headrests at 50 MPH, I would say the drive is always pleasant. I can't wait to see how the 18's are going to be! :ford:
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
1st problem I have heard is lubrication issue. The weather stripping is too tight and grabbing on that small piece of glass that's trying to slide.
2nd problem being an EB, there is some kind of noise cancellation function in the radio so I guess when you close the top, it turns on hense the audio delay.
3rd problem is just being a convertible, nothing you can do when the chassis looses half of its torsional rigidity.
As far as the 18's, there is no difference in terms of structural design.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys! It's been a while since I have posted here. I see the forum is still going strong! It feels good to be back.

I recently have been traveling all over the nation just for the heck of it with my buddies (you know, typical 21 year old things). We've hit up some beautiful places like the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Charlotte, you name it. Racked up 18,120 miles all together! Every time we've gone somewhere, I would always have my friend at Enterprise hook me up at a good price with a convertible EcoBoost Mustang (I still to this day believe my V6 could smoke one, lol).

The car has been fun to drive. That tune/whine of the turbo engine sounds so pleasant and addictive. I find myself always gassing it slightly so I can hear it in action. As you know, with good sometimes comes bad. Every single convertible Mustang we have rented (which is about 6) always had the same precise problems and I am wanting to reach out to the forum to see if they are common things.

1st problem is the windows. Whenever you put the top up, the rear window on the passenger side always fails to fully go up, resulting in a space big enough to stick your finger through. At first, I thought it was just a defective Mustang we received, but when it started doing the same thing on the second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth convertible, I was surprised it wasn't something that had received a recall yet. We had to grab the whole window panel with some strength in our hands and pull it up manually every time. :mad:

2nd problem is the radio. As you go to lock the top in place by the manual lumbar above, the music always cuts off for two seconds and then turns back on. What is the purpose of that?

3rd problem was pretty much addressed with some research, but it's the chassis shuddering. I've always had an eye to see that whenever you go over some rough terrain, the windshield, A-pillar always shakes like crazy. I read, however, it's a common thing with convertibles.

Other than the bird sh** splattering on the passenger headrests at 50 MPH, I would say the drive is always pleasant. I can't wait to see how the 18's are going to be! :ford:
1. You have to hold that button down a bit longer. The windows come down a bit to allow the top to close but once its down they go back up. At least on my car

2. Never understood this myself!

3. I have very happy with my chassis but I believe the GT has some extra bracing, most importantly the strut tower brace.

clicklogical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible Performance Pack
2nd problem being an EB, there is some kind of noise cancellation function in the radio so I guess when you close the top, it turns on hense the audio delay.
This happens in all flavors of the convertible. If you look at the software in the ACM, it does a lot of shaping, clipping and cancelling. The convertible latch switches the configuration and it takes a second for the ACM to load. Ford knows the operator is going to turn the volume up to cancel road noise, so they completely change the sound characteristic to protect the stock equipment. In doing a completely custom sound system, I reprogrammed the ACM to keep all levels flat, no clipping. The switch still causes the delay, even though the two configurations are the same.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
This happens in all flavors of the convertible. If you look at the software in the ACM, it does a lot of shaping, clipping and cancelling. The convertible latch switches the configuration and it takes a second for the ACM to load. Ford knows the operator is going to turn the volume up to cancel road noise, so they completely change the sound characteristic to protect the stock equipment. In doing a completely custom sound system, I reprogrammed the ACM to keep all levels flat, no clipping. The switch still causes the delay, even though the two configurations are the same.
Wow that is great info, thanks!

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
1st problem I have heard is lubrication issue. The weather stripping is too tight and grabbing on that small piece of glass that's trying to slide.
3rd problem is just being a convertible, nothing you can do when the chassis looses half of its torsional rigidity.
As far as the 18's, there is no difference in terms of structural design.
1st problem: never have had that in my GT, and at almost 30k miles.
2nd problem: it does that in my GT too, but really I put the top up and down so infrequently losing sound in the radio for two seconds is hardly a major issue
3rd problem: knock on wood, have never had anything come into the cabin while driving with the top down.

Also, have driven this car a lot, sometime aggressively, and across some rough roads and have never noticed any flex or vibrations outside of what I have experienced with any non-convertible car I have ever owned. It always has felt solid to me.

Mullethunter324

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Vert / 2009 Cobalt SS
1st problem: never have had that in my GT, and at almost 30k miles.
2nd problem: it does that in my GT too, but really I put the top up and down so infrequently losing sound in the radio for two seconds is hardly a major issue
3rd problem: knock on wood, have never had anything come into the cabin while driving with the top down.

Also, have driven this car a lot, sometime aggressively, and across some rough roads and have never noticed any flex or vibrations outside of what I have experienced with any non-convertible car I have ever owned. It always has felt solid to me.
I can mirror the above sentiment with my GT with much less miles (about 8k).

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I can mirror the above sentiment with my GT with much less miles (about 8k).

I think the extra bracing in the GT's makes the difference. Especially the Magnetic ones!

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT Vert, 2016 GT Vert
My Gt does the window thing as well. The audio cutting is the system adjusting for the top being down or up. Check your manual it mentions that feature.

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
#3. I noticed it more when I purchased it with the 20's. Since going to 18's, it rides so much better and hasn't been noticeable.

Mr Snappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-Vert, 2015 Tahoe LTZ
My rear-passenger window just started doing this as well.
To be clear, it's not an issue with holding the button up a little longer...that window simply will not go up all the way. I tried for 10 minutes today with no luck. I had to get out of the car and manually lift up on the window, then it stayed in place.

Anyone have a fix on this before I have to take a whole day (maybe longer) dealing with the idiots at the dealership?

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
My rear-passenger window just started doing this as well.
To be clear, it's not an issue with holding the button up a little longer...that window simply will not go up all the way. I tried for 10 minutes today with no luck. I had to get out of the car and manually lift up on the window, then it stayed in place.

Anyone have a fix on this before I have to take a whole day (maybe longer) dealing with the idiots at the dealership?
Some are saying to libricate. I haven't had the issue YET!!!

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I just noticed that "Clicklogical" (avatar) has a performance pack with his GT vert.

Wow! I didn't know it was available! Since I already have the special bracing, what else does the performance pack include on a convertible???
Bigger sway bar?
Heavier springs?
Different shocks?
19" wheels?

thanks

CVCashmere

Old 04-25-2017, 12:13 PM #4
clicklogical

Name: Derek
Drives: 2017 GT Premium Convertible Performance Pack

Myfirst4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
To add my 2 cents, my drivers rear window on my 2016 ecoboost premium convert has problem #1 (wont go all the way up with the top up).

It WILL go all the way up when the top is down. This tells me it is probably a weatherstrip/binding issue.

Holding the switch down makes no difference. Raising and lowering the window makes no difference. You can pull the window up by hand to complete the seal.
Sponsored