CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
All

This is my second Ford fabric-topped convertible so over the years, I have learned a few tips to keep the top from fading or getting worn spots from the hardware when retracted.

The latest suggestion is to clean the top with a gentle car wash cleaner or special top cleaner (Raggtop brand).

Then, treat the top to a waterproofing/UV treatment that will help prevent damage from sun, rain, bird droppings, grease, mildew, etc. It's no guarantee but it helped me keep a sand-colored top looking close to new for 11 years.

Since I just picked up this vert, I quickly had to treat it. I used a West Marine Store Canvas Waterproofing Spray (for boat awnings, etc.). These stores might be hard to find in the middle of Nebraska! However, there are similar products by 303, Raggtop, etc. that was well or better.

It dries clear and without residue. there are similar products

Here's how I covered up my car for the treatment.

I will probably do a second treatment for the portion that is exposed when the top is down sometime this summer.

Write back with any questions.

Thanks

CVCashmere
Vert Prep Front.jpg
Vert Prep Front compressed.jpg
Vert Prep Side compressed.jpg
Vert Top Prep 1 compressed.jpg
Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I purchased some cleaner two years ago and never used it. That was a waste of money... still in my closet... I should use it at some point.

My fear was something would happen and I'd mess up the top... I know, not based in reality, but the top still looks good after two years. Not sure I'm going to keep the car past the 2020 model. Plus, my car is parked in a covered garage during the week... not much direct sunlight.

If I do keep it past 2020, I'll see how the tops looks and replace it, if it looks bad.

I'm guessing it would cost less than $2000 to replace the top... although, I'm not sure.

Much as I use it, I'm impressed with it so far. I drop that thing anytime the temp is between 60 to 93.

Thank you for your post... nice to see.

Nice to see pics of your car with the top down... looks like a nice blue.

carlos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt vert
How does one reverse any wear on these tops. I have lines from the hardware nothing major but clearly there, is there anyway to restore the original black?

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
How does one reverse any wear on these tops. I have lines from the hardware nothing major but clearly there, is there anyway to restore the original black?
Is it wear or just markings from the frame and from folding? Mine has fold marks after I put it back up, but most disappear.

Sponsored

carlos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt vert
Is it wear or just markings from the frame and from folding? Mine has fold marks after I put it back up, but most disappear.
They look like fade lines on the roof that line up to the hardware. I know they are fold lines but I'm afraid they look like they were imprinted now. Any chance of an easy fix?

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I used 303 Protectant on my new 2015 convertible. I washed the top with the same auto soap as the body. After two summers, water still beaded on the soft top. . This spring I cleaned the top with 303 Fabric Cleaner followed by a double application of 303 Protectant. The top still looks and feels new.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
They look like fade lines on the roof that line up to the hardware. I know they are fold lines but I'm afraid they look like they were imprinted now. Any chance of an easy fix?
A good suggestion below for ragtop protection. Lots of different products out there for ragtops. Lots of YouTube videos. I have a product called autoglym. I am gonna apply ASAP. :D I can't say it will get rid of all the lines/marks, but it will help with the longevity of the top.

I used 303 Protectant on my new 2015 convertible. I washed the top with the same auto soap as the body. After two summers, water still beaded on the soft top. . This spring I cleaned the top with 303 Fabric Cleaner followed by a double application of 303 Protectant. The top still looks and feels new.

carlos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt vert

clicklogical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible Performance Pack
Did you do this as soon as you got your stang or did you do it once water stopped beading? The manuals says to do if water stops beading. Mine is still beading water and don't want to mess anything up by applying something over what Ford had applied.

Sponsored

carlos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt vert
What type of top is this. I am just afraid to use a product for the wrong type of fabric and really fuck this shit up. Also does anyone know if top wear is covered under the warranty?

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
I tried to do mine last year when it was new. The stuff just beaded up and would not soak in. I used a sponge and massaged it in. My car stays in the garage every night. But,I had it laying around so I used it.

carlos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt vert
I tried to do mine last year when it was new. The stuff just beaded up and would not soak in. I used a sponge and massaged it in. My car stays in the garage every night. But,I had it laying around so I used it.
Which product did you use?

clicklogical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible Performance Pack
I think I will just follow the manual and was it for water to stop beading first. My car sits in the garage, too, so I am not too worried about the elements.

carlos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt vert
Ok, well thank you all for the help and replies. I don't know why but I get the feeling nobody will answer ANY question. I just wanted to know the products used by the OPs. That's fine I will come to that conclusion on my own, I just figured someone could fast lane the answer since everyone on this thread is using a product. But fuck it I should know better than to ask anyone anything.
Sponsored