OP
zanGTA

zanGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
do converter before gears then decide
is this good only for 1/4 mile or could work well for "handling" track too? Because i'm in europe and the drag is not very popular here :shrug:

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the auto with 3.55 and absolutely love it. With the Flex Fuel tune and really aggressive shifting program, the car is surprisingly quick and feels very torquey.
1st is short, really short, I can't imagine having it any shorter than it is, it's already near impossible to not spin over half throttle even with 275's.
I think if you're looking for that feeling of torque/thrust, this might be a pretty killer combo, but as the others have mentioned, the car likely won't be any faster overall.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
is this good only for 1/4 mile or could work well for "handling" track too? Because i'm in europe and the drag is not very popular here :shrug:
Higher RPM converters multiply the torque more and also flash the engine at a higher RPM to get into the powerband quicker. Also shift extension (the RPM drop after a shift) is higher so you're once again in a better part of the powerband after a shift.

Those have nothing to do with handling, it will just make your car faster mainly from a stop. It will help to accelerate the car faster from any speed, but the main thing about these is they help get going from a stop where the RPMs are low and limited to how high you can get.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
A converter will help get you into your power band quicker than gears. The stock converter flashes somewhere around 1800 rpm while a converter depending on the size will flash to 3600ish rpm. Trust me a converter is a much better choice.

A gear change will require you to buy a whole new rear pumpkin and the Whipple Flare tool just to make the appropriate changes. A lot of money for no performance gain.

Sponsored

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He did say that he's not into drag racing, so what other benefits does the converter provide? Doesn't it just lock up when shifting it manually with paddles from a rolling speed? I'm no expert so I'm all ears on how a converter will help a road race/twisties car

WestCyril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
A converter will optimize the power the car is already making. Converter will make the car feel much more responsive from a stop and low roll. After 40+mph you cant tell the difference just cruising around.

I went with a 5C converter which is one of the higher stall speed converters circle d makes. I daily drive my car and its bearable and made the car a completely different animal.

I would recommend something a little looser than stock but much tighter than my converter for most people.

I'm going with a 3.55 gear now as well. Id recommend the gear change for most people.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Not sure why anyone talks about wheel diameter when tire diameter is what matters here...

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
A converter will optimize the power the car is already making. Converter will make the car feel much more responsive from a stop and low roll. After 40+mph you cant tell the difference just cruising around.

I went with a 5C converter which is one of the higher stall speed converters circle d makes. I daily drive my car and its bearable and made the car a completely different animal.

I would recommend something a little looser than stock but much tighter than my converter for most people.

I'm going with a 3.55 gear now as well. Id recommend the gear change for most people.
I LOVE my 5C stall.... its a blast to drive and have no regrets.

OP
OP
zanGTA

zanGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
Not sure why anyone talks about wheel diameter when tire diameter is what matters here...
Do you refer to my post with top speed vs gear? If yes, i wrote the wheel diameter because everyone knows these data. Ofc the most correct would be wirte 27.3" overall diameter for 20" wheels and 27.1" overall diameter for 19" wheels. Doing the maths I considered the more reliable data provided by tire company "revs per mile" instead to calculate from the wheel diameter.

Sponsored
OP
OP
zanGTA

zanGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
Tomorrow I'll do a bit more research and Ill post a graph of the force (newtons) appliead to the wheels in each gear and an estimate of the acceleration (m/s2). So let's see the teorical difference of a launch between with 3.15 and 3.73.

It anyone of you that uses a converter can post a video of rpm ann ground speed during a launch I will try to buid a graph for that scenario too

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
A stall speed converter is money well spent, my 5c launches the car very hard even when im not flashing it! Just tromp it and your gone!!!

OP
OP
zanGTA

zanGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
So, finally my maths are ready. I considered even the drag force and tire resistance.

In this graph you can see the acceleration vs speed in km/h.
1zfkfm9.png

The first grear with the teorical acceleration over the 9m/s2 is useless in normal driving and to get 2s in the first 60' the acceleration is not much more than 9 m/s2.

What do you think? Are you still sure the final ratio doesn't change anything in the car?

The full image can be downloaded from my dropbox here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/giuftvalndkntes/Screenshot 2017-04-24 19.06.00.png?dl=0

These are the data from which I build the graph
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwmkl96u0bdhauj/Screenshot 2017-04-24 19.11.30.png?dl=0

And this is about the drag and tire force:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozt43l1xp7itidu/Screenshot 2017-04-24 19.12.20.png?dl=0

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
^does that assume no tire slippage whatsoever? I think hooking up is the real world hard part.

Lucky13Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 Purple
What's circle D converter approximately cost installed? Will this be needed with the new 10 speed trans?:shrug:
Sponsored