Sponsored

Stubshaft seals and bearings, seventh circle of hell!

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Well I got my Barton shifter in today and I figured I would quickly throw in the stubshaft bearings and seals I got with my new ford half shafts, as there has been a bit of a grumbly sound from the rear when engine braking. I removed the half shaft pretty quick, about 15 minutes. Then I got out my slide hammer and figured this will be cake, about a half hour later I am still slide hammering the seal. So I go to my work shop and weld up a better hook to grab the seal. This worked enough to barely move the seal so I could get a pry bar behind it and pry it out. Then it was on to the bearing. Another half hour and another welded up slidehammer attachment, and still no love. So then I put on my thinking cap and got my steering wheel puller. It pulled out the bearing but not its casing. Then I was able to get my bearing puller in, and after hours finally the bearing was liberated. So I clean up and go to drive the bearing in with my driver tool. The bearing is some odd size and I end up knocking the bearing a bit out of its housing so I has to pull the bearing back and I found a chunk of turned aluminum I made for pressing stuff and that got the new bearing drove home. Last but not least the seal is bigger then all my seal drivers, so I had to weld something up out of 3 inch exhaust. 2am I am finally with halfshaft, still gotta mount the upright sheese
Sponsored