Modify Stock Intake Mani??

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Has anyone modified their stock intake mani or heard of anyone doing it?

I know on a dyno it doesn't compare to a GT350 or CJ. But I like to be alittle different and I want to accomplish the best TQ numbers possible and not have to rev the car to the moon to make power. I'd like to stay around/under 7250 to control heat and stress on the drive train. I've been watching all the mani forms and have friends and competitors that keep switching from the 350 to a cj or something else trying to find the usable power. This may sound crazy but Ford racing is using the GT mani, and I know of other cars out there that are slower now after switching. NON drag race, I'm referring to road course only.

So I have this idea of having my stock GT mani honed out and cleaned up along with matching a GT350 TB to make a solid power curve. Crazy?
Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I read up that folks have ported the stock manifold and throttle body on an S197 Coyote. The gains were said to be minimal. I never saw a dyno of it though nor any numbers that showed marked improvement on lap times.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Just port stock TB, I know Kelly from BMR with ported stock IM, TB and K&N panel filter in stock air box manage 118mph terminal in quarter mile with an E85 tune from PB Dyno I believe.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
https://www.svtperformance .com/forums/threads/manifold-and-intake-testing-stock-ported-boss-w-stock-vs-cai-intake.908135/ remove space before .com

Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind it was not tuned for the extra airflow nor was the boss tuned for the Dyno pulls just swap and dynoed

OP
OP
apex15stangPP

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Keep in mind it was not tuned for the extra airflow nor was the boss tuned for the Dyno pulls just swap and dynoed
I'm sure the results will be low, but atleast your won't lose TQ like you do when switching to a GT350 Mani. My car is not ready to 75-7800 RPM, and I'd say it won't be for awhile.

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'm sure the results will be low, but atleast your won't lose TQ like you do when switching to a GT350 Mani. My car is not ready to 75-7800 RPM, and I'd say it won't be for awhile.
The car is fine with that RPM, just need a manifold to make it usable. Either way I understand what you are saying. Like mentioned above there won't be much gain but a couple free hp if you do it yourself. I do have one for sale from my car that I did some work to if you are interested.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Port your stock tb and manifold, possible gain 10-15 hp maybe more in the curve or down low but will need some tuning to take advantage of the added airflow. Not a terrible idea but I don't know why you think you can't rev near 8k with a better manifold. For the cost savings I did a boss manifold, but they have a newer version of the gt350 manifold for 600 if you can find it in stock. The 2015-2017 comes with the upgraded version of boss cams plus boss valves, boss rods, revised pistons, boss crank, boss oil pan, PP cars get the oil cooler as well. Need VCT adjustments to really take advantage of the high RPM in the tune for a better manifold, boss also didn't have a special oil pump gears or crank timing gears, there really only needed for fi or power adders for added insurance.

OP
OP
apex15stangPP

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The car will be tuned, on a DYNO and street logging .8 k revs will find every weak link in the car, the oil heater in these cars is a joke. 10-15 hp would be great but 10-15 TQ would be amazing. I also have headers ready to go on, if I could get the car to 425hp/400TQ and 3800 lbs would be a rocket. Currently at 390/380

Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was that on the stock tune? I was 401 HP and 395 TQ on the stock tune with Kooks Super Street shorty headers aftermarket cats full exhaust and an airaid intake with the insert still in, I used spark plug fouler's for the rear O2 sensors and was still on the stock tune when I did the Dyno with the stock intake manifold if I was to I should have been right at the number you're trying to get at or a little higher so I don't really see it being a problem, in fact porting your intake and Port matching your stock throttle body you should be able to get a little more out of it then that.

OP
OP
apex15stangPP

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The car is tuned, pretty good. I've had the car on 2 different dyno's with different numbers. But I only use the numbers from the dyno that we use to class our cars for NASA, they're the only numbers that matter really. On the other dyno the car was at 408/390 with tune and catback.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Has anyone modified their stock intake mani or heard of anyone doing it?

I know on a dyno it doesn't compare to a GT350 or CJ. But I like to be alittle different and I want to accomplish the best TQ numbers possible and not have to rev the car to the moon to make power. I'd like to stay around/under 7250 to control heat and stress on the drive train. I've been watching all the mani forms and have friends and competitors that keep switching from the 350 to a cj or something else trying to find the usable power. This may sound crazy but Ford racing is using the GT mani, and I know of other cars out there that are slower now after switching. NON drag race, I'm referring to road course only.

So I have this idea of having my stock GT mani honed out and cleaned up along with matching a GT350 TB to make a solid power curve. Crazy?
Ported truck manifold might help. I saw them test a 2015 GT manifold on a 2015 F-150 and it gained only 4 whp and only held power a couple hundred RPMs longer but lost 30-40ft/lbs vs the truck manifold throughout the midrange which is significant.

OP
OP
apex15stangPP

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Ported truck manifold might help. I saw them test a 2015 GT manifold on a 2015 F-150 and it gained only 4 whp and only held power a couple hundred RPMs longer but lost 30-40ft/lbs vs the truck manifold throughout the midrange which is significant.
Now this is interesting!!!

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The car is tuned, pretty good. I've had the car on 2 different dyno's with different numbers. But I only use the numbers from the dyno that we use to class our cars for NASA, they're the only numbers that matter really. On the other dyno the car was at 408/390 with tune and catback.
My car did not loose any TQ when I added the GT350IM and tuned for it. the TQ curve flattened out nicely and we were able to remove the small dips in the TQ curve present in the stock tune. My car has never made 390tq to begin with so you have to factor that into it.

I can tell you on a road course uncorking the last 2500 RPM is a lot more fun than worrying about 10tq down low. This motor wants to rev and is very comfortable in the 4.5k-7.5k range.

Dave
GT350IM vs GTIM.jpg
Sponsored