Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
There's been a recent update to the Sync 3 information for Android Auto & Apple Car Play. Scroll to the section titled "SYNC® 3 plus Apple® CarPlay™ Support" and click on the reference links (emphasis added):

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/?vehicle=mustang&year=2016

For Apple Car Play:
160. Available feature. Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Apple CarPlay is available on 2017 models with SYNC 3; owners of 2016 models with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software upgrade and purchase a hardware upgrade. Requires phone with compatible version of Apple iOS and active data service. SYNC does not control Apple CarPlay while in use. Apple is solely responsible for their functionality. Message and data rates may apply. Apple CarPlay,tm iPad,® iPod,® iPhone,® iTunes,® and Siri are trademarks of Apple Inc.
For Android Auto:
161. Available feature. Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Android Auto is available on 2017 models with SYNC 3; owners of 2016 models with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software upgrade. Requires phone with compatible version of Android Auto and active data service. SYNC does not control Android Auto while in use. Google is solely responsible for their functionality. Message and data rates may apply. Android Auto, Google and Google Maps are trademarks of Google Inc.
Perhaps @FordIVTteam or @FordService can clarify on this. Why is a hardware upgrade required for CarPlay, how much will it cost, and why are you charging for it now? :frusty:
Sponsored

Falcon01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost Premium PP Manual
There's been a recent update to the Sync 3 information for Android Auto & Apple Car Play. Scroll to the section titled "SYNC® 3 plus Apple® CarPlay™ Support" and click on the reference links (emphasis added):

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/?vehicle=mustang&year=2016

For Apple Car Play:
For Android Auto:

Perhaps @FordIVTteam or @FordService can clarify on this. Why is a hardware upgrade required for CarPlay, how much will it cost, and why are you charging for it now? :frusty:
Another win for having an Android! My question is when will they be available. I want my AA and I want it now!

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I think its a typo.. but we shall see..

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
I think its a typo.. but we shall see..
That's very specific for a typo... So far, I haven't seen a head unit update yet that requires an owner to "purchase a hardware upgrade".

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Could the hardware upgrade be for a different cable connection needed to use this feature?

Sponsored

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
That's very specific for a typo... So far, I haven't seen a head unit update yet that requires an owner to "purchase a hardware upgrade".
They have made many typos in regard to these things in the past.. it may have been a misunderstanding..

I didn't say for sure.. just my opinion.. based on what I have seen and heard.. I do play with these a lot.. I do know the 17s have a different APIM.. I am not sure what the difference is.. but it isn't unusual for Ford to have a different part number .. they have 10 different part numbers for MFT APIMs.. I can make any of them work in any car.. I have been trying very hard to get 2.0 onto one of the Sync 3 APIMs I have so I can verify.. but there is nothing I can do at this point to make that happen

But.. time will tell.. I know if there is something that has to be upgraded there are going to be several unhappy people.. because I have seen videos and print saying that 16s will get Car play.. and AA.. I cant imagine what hardware could be needed.. they have had car play working on units since before 16s and Sync 3 was released..

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Could the hardware upgrade be for a different cable connection needed to use this feature?
Perhaps... It may need official support for fast USB charging? Maybe an update to the Bluetooth or WiFi module to not require connection to the Apple device via USB?

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Perhaps... It may need official support for fast USB charging? Maybe an update to the Bluetooth or WiFi module to not require connection to the Apple device via USB?
Apple doesnt support fast charging. Not sure why there would need additional hardware unless since Apple requires a hard connection the current system doesnt have the MFI chip required by Apple.

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Apple doesnt support fast charging. Not sure why there would need additional hardware unless since Apple requires a hard connection the current system doesnt have the MFI chip required by Apple.
They do, But not to be confused with other implementations, I was referring to fast charging using 2.1A versus the typical ~1A.

Could it be the USB cable?
Probably not, there's no need for dedicated cables anymore, OEM versions and "MFi Certified" versions are more than adequate.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
If there is additional hardware required for CP, I'd suspect it's something to do with Lightning and video/encoding. Lightning to USB for media/control/audio is a pretty simple implementation, but video is a little more complex as the port itself doesn't have direct video out, it needs an en/de-coder inline somewhere (the Apple video adapter actually has a tiny encoding chip to convert to an HDMI signal), and maybe that wasn't part of the '16 head units.

No idea if that component - i.e., the USB interface controller/encoder - is modular, or if that's all part of the main control unit (OEMRadio might know).

If it's easily installed and can be sourced for a DIY, and is under $50, _maybe_ under $100, I'll still be totally cool with it. I kind of don't want to have to tear my dash apart, seems like that kind of stuff never goes back together like it did from the factory.

At any rate, sounds like this is getting really close, it'd be nice to hear from the Ford support folks regarding, 1) availability, 2) cost, 3) clarification about CP needing a hardware update.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
If there is additional hardware required for CP, I'd suspect it's something to do with Lightning and video/encoding. Lightning to USB for media/control/audio is a pretty simple implementation, but video is a little more complex as the port itself doesn't have direct video out, it needs an en/de-coder inline somewhere (the Apple video adapter actually has a tiny encoding chip to convert to an HDMI signal), and maybe that wasn't part of the '16 head units.

No idea if that component - i.e., the USB interface controller/encoder - is modular, or if that's all part of the main control unit (OEMRadio might know).

If it's easily installed and can be sourced for a DIY, and is under $50, _maybe_ under $100, I'll still be totally cool with it. I kind of don't want to have to tear my dash apart, seems like that kind of stuff never goes back together like it did from the factory.

At any rate, sounds like this is getting really close, it'd be nice to hear from the Ford support folks regarding, 1) availability, 2) cost, 3) clarification about CP needing a hardware update.
The actual update should be free....at least if Ford is smart. All of the other OEM's have made that update for free including GM.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The actual update should be free....at least if Ford is smart. All of the other OEM's have made that update for free including GM.
Oh yeah, my discussion of any costs was only in the event there was additional hardware required. If it's just a software update, it should (assuming will) be free. Hopefully available right over WiFi too - my car connects and checks for updates when it's in the garage :)

Old Guard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Guard, MT, 400A, 455, 648, 13D
How have you set your system to check for WIFI access updates when it is garaged. I need to do that too.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT

Car play does not support video so I don't get why you are talking about video.
Sponsored