Sponsored

How to paint/dip the pony, 5.0, GT badges?

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
First car, new to everything, not a big DIY person but maybe I should try.

I've been reading about everyone dipping the pony with plasti dip.

Is there an instructional video or something or could anyone share the steps to do this? Like how to take it out/off the car, how to even use plastidip, or if I should just get a detailer or shop to do this.
Sponsored

kevg73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Hey I was about to respond to your post in the other thread. It's super easy.

Get some blue painters tape and a spray can of plastidip from home depot. Total cost is like $10 I think.

You can leave the badges on the car and just tape all around them for like ~8" in every direction to make sure you dont get any spray on the rest of the car. Then just spray the badge with the plastidip. You need to do a few coats. The first coat should be quite thin. Wait a bit between each coat (I did like 20-30 minutes). They recommend 4-6 coats (I did 4 fairly heavy coats). Then just peal the tape off and leave it overnight to dry.

If you ever decide you dont like it just peel it off. It can also be removed by spraying it with WD40 then it will just wipe off.

I havent taken any closeups of the badges since I blacked them out but here is a wider pic of the car.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Perfect ty. What's this I hear about sanding the pony and/or blasting it? Are there other ways to do this or is this the most agreed upon?

Phill The Greek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GTPP
I plastidipped all of the emblems on my Oxford White GTPP and it turned out great. The best part is that if you change your mind later on you can just peel it off. I would highly recommend it over sanding or any other permanent methods.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God such a clean look. So what can we do if we really want to take off the 5.0 badges? You'd have to buy new fenders?!
Sponsored