Sponsored

Should Ford make a new Mustang nameplate?

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
For the longest time now we have had:
(nameless/base)
GT
Cobra
GT500
GT350
BOSS
Mach1
Bullitt(which itself is just a callback to an older car)

It seems that for uses names to call BACK to something. Does anyone else think it's time that they should create a new Forward thinking plate? I think the last real "new" name they had was the SVO in the 80's

I have no real ideas for one. I just feel that it's time Ford breaks out of the habit of relying on who they were, and should think of something that represents who they are now.
Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
How about Mach 3? Or perhaps an actual Ford version of a P-51 edition

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I love the Terminator nameplate, talk about a name! That said I think they're doing well branding the engines: Coyote, Voodoo, EcoBoost, people talk about those, they know them and it's excellent branding on Ford's part.
That said, I don't think it would hurt to bring out something like the Terminator again.

OP
OP
UAmach1

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I love the Terminator nameplate, talk about a name! That said I think they're doing well branding the engines: Coyote, Voodoo, EcoBoost, people talk about those, they know them and it's excellent branding on Ford's part.
That said, I don't think it would hurt to bring out something like the Terminator again.
Terminator was really just an internal code name though.

Also if you pull the black pieces out of the Mach1's side scoops they say Terminator on them.

Sponsored

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Terminator was really just an internal code name though.

Also if you pull the black pieces out of the Mach1's side scoops they say Terminator on them.
I didn't know that about the side scoops! That doesn't surprise me however. I still agree with you, a modern nameplate would be a good addition. Marketing is not my area, but maybe something related to the name like Thoroughbred instead of GT Premium for the fully loaded models.

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
For the longest time now we have had:
(nameless/base)
GT
Cobra
GT500
GT350
BOSS
Mach1
Bullitt(which itself is just a callback to an older car)

It seems that for uses names to call BACK to something. Does anyone else think it's time that they should create a new Forward thinking plate? I think the last real "new" name they had was the SVO in the 80's

I have no real ideas for one. I just feel that it's time Ford breaks out of the habit of relying on who they were, and should think of something that represents who they are now.
I think this is a good idea. A new special edition unlike anything before it, at least in name. a lot of buyers want what they had before or grew up with, so I can see why GT350, Mach1, etc mean something. But it would interesting to go down another route. Dodge did this with the Hellcat and it worked.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
No. There are already too many iterations of the Mustang. Tired of seeing cars with body kits and huge markups. It's lame. Do something significant if you are going to make special editions.

FLA-GTPony

5.0 User
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would like to see an AWD version of the mustang. Maybe Call it GT-X...

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I didn't know that about the side scoops! That doesn't surprise me however. I still agree with you, a modern nameplate would be a good addition. Marketing is not my area, but maybe something related to the name like Thoroughbred instead of GT Premium for the fully loaded models.
But a Thoroughbred isn't a Mustang. A Mustang is a wild, free-roaming horse, and a thoroughbred is anything but.

JR

Sponsored