Coilovers and wheelhop - suspension noob

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
So I am a bit of a suspension noob, looking forward to learning a lot with this car. I want to track the car a few times a year at HDPE events and starting to weigh my options. Car is not a DD, but I do take it to work on nice days. Couple of questions, any input is appreciated. 2015 GT PP, cat-back, CAI, and cosmetic mods only for now. Steeda rear shock mounts bought, but not yet on the car. Stock otherwise

1) So first off, do coilovers cure wheel hop? Seems obvious that they would help, but I am wondering if they would be a one stop fix due to the amount of movement/slop in the IRS.

2) I would like to spend in the $1-2k range for the suspension build which coilovers could easily take up the whole budget. For my goals should I skip coilovers and address the wheel hop, and look at bushings, bracing, shocks and springs, and stay on the lower end of the budget? I am new to HDPE so I know my skill has some catching up to do with what the stock PP setup can deliver, but I also see the upside to building something now that I can grow into.

3) If I went coilovers what else would you guys consider a minimum to address the rest of the suspension?

Thanks for the help :cheers:
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You don't need coilovers for HPDE - especially if you're a novice. I cannot tell you how many people I talk to who have coilovers and tell me that they literally NEVER adjust them. And you don't really need to worry about wheel hop if your intention is tracking (road course) your car.

Get upgraded dampers (Steeda Pro-Action Fixed in your case will be perfect), Swift Spec R springs, and your choice of IRS parts designed to address wheel hop (I'd just get the Steeda IRS bushing supports, centering dowels, and IRS subframe braces... but you can get the BMR CB005 solution, as well if you prefer). You can skip the dampers, frankly, with those springs but they are amazing with dampers. If you want to be harder-core, you can get the Steeda Dual Rate Comp and Pro-Action Adjustable dampers like I have and you'll have all kinds of room to "grow into" - I am still "growing into" this setup, quite frankly. It makes up for my mistakes all the time, haha.

Anyway, leave it at that and learn how to drive. Skip coilovers until you're ready for the high dollar variety that are actually worth having.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Comp,

Private message sent - we can get you into a package that fits your budget, we can look at the fixed action shocks, the stop the hop kit, etc.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-ultimate-irs-stop-the-hop-package-2015-all-555-2129.html

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Handling-Suspension-Package-15-17-555-2408

You need the jacking rails too!

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-ultra-lite-chassis-jacking-rails-15-16-all-555-5205.html

Look forward to the opportunity to help build your package & take your Mustang to the next level - we will build around & with the Steeda rear shock mounts :)

TJ

OP
OP

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I really appreciate the feedback [MENTION=21494]wildcatgoal[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION], really helpful stuff. I still have a lot of learning to do on and off the track, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. TJ I will definitely be reaching out

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
While it doesnt hurt to firm up the slop in the rear suspension, wheel hop specifically isn't really an issue at HPDE events. Wheel hop is more of an issue launching the car hard from a standing stop.

The only things I did prior to my first HPDE were adding more front camber to help tire wear, a good performance alignment, and tuning the suspension for more balanced handling with a very mildly stiffer rear swaybar.

Going to better (but still affordable) shocks later on didnt do a thing to my lap times, which were already faster than 90% of the cars in my intermediate run group. The S550 w/PP is simply a beast at the track, even in stock form.

In general its a bad idea to throw "upgrades" on the car /before/ you take it out to the track. Its much better to learn to drive what you have and then decide what needs changing with some good first-hand experience under your belt. Doing things before and you're gambling.

That said, camber plates will eventually be a part of the formula if you stick with track driving, if only to save your front tire life, and you'll probably end up with some upgraded swaybar endlinks in the front at some point because a lot of us are bending those. Then there are the consumables (tires, brake pads, and more event entry fees).

So save your money until after the event, then you can plan out what needs fixing, if anything.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
As others have said, with a PP and you being a novice (I assume) you don't need coilovers. Hell, you probably don't even need aftermarket dampers. You will not be taking the car beyond the limits of the stock PP suspension your first couple times out.

It's already setup very well for a track beginner, so just go out there and be safe and have fun. Once you start reaching the physical limits of the car as you get better, then you should start modding it for specifically where you see the car lacking. Don't just throw parts on it before you know what needs addressing, especially if you are new. That unless you just have money burning in your pocket and you NEED to spend it on something.

OP
OP

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned that I plan to do my first few events with the stock PP setup. I've seen that same advice from you guys in other threads and can certainly see the wisdom in that. In the mean time I want to 1) learn everything I can about suspension and how the mods change this platform and 2) start building a list of any "must haves" (if there are any). For example I see a lot of reccomendations for the Steeda rear shock mounts to help with the rear bounciness I have already experienced a few times on the road. Steeda's Memorial Day sale was too good to pass up and I have those sitting at the house to install.

Really appreciate the help

OP
OP

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=15869]EFI[/MENTION] where do you run events at? Palmer is the only close track I know of, still havent made it out there yet though. Is there anything else around?

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
If you really want to prepair your car for an hpde event, look at adding a diff cooler. I have been to three events and by the third session, I throw the light. I change it out afterwards with 140-90w. I have the parts for the cooler just need to find some time to put them on.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
@EFI where do you run events at? Palmer is the only close track I know of, still havent made it out there yet though. Is there anything else around?
I usually run with COMSCC and their trackdays, but may also do the TNIA hosted by SCCA I think.

There's quite a few actually in the area. NHMS in Loudon NH is about an hour ride from Boston. Thompson Speedway in Thompson CT is also about an hour away. There's also a new Club Motorsport up in NH somewhere a little bit further away but still no more than 2 hours drive. So there's plenty of choices, even more if you want to head to Lime Rock Park or Watkins Glen but those are a bit of hikes.

Take a look at my sig, those are pretty basic non damper/spring upgrades that have had good results from others and I can say that they improved things greatly without touching the dampers and springs yet.

Sponsored
OP
OP

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
If you really want to prepair your car for an hpde event, look at adding a diff cooler. I have been to three events and by the third session, I throw the light. I change it out afterwards with 140-90w. I have the parts for the cooler just need to find some time to put them on.
First I have heard this. How long do you run the car before taking a break at your events? How long before you are back out on the track?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
There's a huge thread in the RR section about diff cooling. For 20-25 minute session you can get away with 90w140 fluid and some heat wrap on the exhaust around the diff.

I went with just the thicker fluid and have not had a single issue with overtemp, and I have the 16 which has the diff temp sensor.

Although I may have been lucky with cooler temps outside, haven't yet gone racing when it's 90+

OP
OP

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I usually run with COMSCC and their trackdays, but may also do the TNIA hosted by SCCA I think.

There's quite a few actually in the area. NHMS in Loudon NH is about an hour ride from Boston. Thompson Speedway in Thompson CT is also about an hour away. There's also a new Club Motorsport up in NH somewhere a little bit further away but still no more than 2 hours drive. So there's plenty of choices, even more if you want to head to Lime Rock Park or Watkins Glen but those are a bit of hikes.

Take a look at my sig, those are pretty basic non damper/spring upgrades that have had good results from others and I can say that they improved things greatly without touching the dampers and springs yet.
Will have to look into the other tracks, thank you. Like I said I haven't been out to Palmer yet, but from pictures I am concerned with the lack of run off areas especially being a beginner on the track. Lime Rock and Watkins Glen were the only others I knew about, glad to hear there are other options.

What drove the decision to upgrade the sway bars from the PP bars? The other mods you have were the route I was thinking initially until I started wondering if coil overs would be a more one and done solution. I'd be happy to not spend coil over money and start down a similar path as you have. Need my driving to catch up first! Getting married this year so likely won't be on the track until next year as the bills never stop coming. Still would like to this year but reality keeps sinking in!

OP
OP

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
There's a huge thread in the RR section about diff cooling. For 20-25 minute session you can get away with 90w140 fluid and some heat wrap on the exhaust around the diff.

I went with just the thicker fluid and have not had a single issue with overtemp, and I have the 16 which has the diff temp sensor.

Although I may have been lucky with cooler temps outside, haven't yet gone racing when it's 90+
Thanks I'll take a look

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What drove the decision to upgrade the sway bars from the PP bars?
I found a really good deal online (which unfortunately is gone now) and wanted the adjustability of the aftermarket bars. The OEM ones, even though upgraded in the PP, are nothing special and I think it's only the rear that's different from the base GT.
Sponsored