Sponsored

Firehawk Indy 500 no longer available in 255...245 ok?

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
At 4 years old they are about 2 years past their useful life.

Though that model wasn't out 4 years ago, so it is unlikely they are quite that old.

I can't believe people would specify the wrong aspect ratio for their cars just to get a cheap tire, that is pretty stunning.
Sponsored

OP
OP
millhouse

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Can anyone tell me any potential issues if I buy a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires that are 4 years old?

I found a source online for the size I want that said they are brand new but might be up to 4 years old.

I'm not sure if that is OK or whether or not the tire compounds were revised during that time period?

Thanks
Make sure they aren't the Indy 500 wide oval models. The newer models came out last year, so if they are indeed the newer style...they are at most a year old.

At 4 years old they are about 2 years past their useful life.

Though that model wasn't out 4 years ago, so it is unlikely they are quite that old.

I can't believe people would specify the wrong aspect ratio for their cars just to get a cheap tire, that is pretty stunning.
245 and 265 tires are acceptable for a 9 inch rim. Some manufacturers intentionally over or under size the aspect ratio from the factory. There is nothing "wrong" about it. Keep in mind, even if I were to use the same aspect ratio, the tread width from different manufacturers are different, as are the overall widths. 255 Pirellis are a different width then Michelin are a different width from BFG are a different width from...

What it really comes down to is...is the aspect ratio correct for the specified rim width. The answer to that for both 245, 255 and 265's is yes.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
245, 255, 265... those are section width, not aspect ratio.

Yes different section widths will fit different wheels, they are made in half sizes after all and tires vary by 10mm so obviously that will work... but, it also isn't what I was referring to at all.

OP
OP
millhouse

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
245, 255, 265... those are section width, not aspect ratio.

Yes different section widths will fit different wheels, they are made in half sizes after all and tires vary by 10mm so obviously that will work... but, it also isn't what I was referring to at all.
Haha, long day...I did actually know that. Once upon a time I designed wheels for Petes sake!

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Can anyone tell me any potential issues if I buy a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires that are 4 years old?

I found a source online for the size I want that said they are brand new but might be up to 4 years old.

I'm not sure if that is OK or whether or not the tire compounds were revised during that time period?

Thanks
That is most likely the wide oval, the Indy 500s are a "new" (rebranded Bridgestone Re003) from just last year.

Sponsored

OP
OP
millhouse

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I had them installed this morning. The ordered the 245's instead of the 265's, but I really couldn't wait for them to re-order the 265's. I'll post some pics later, but the 245's don't look bad at all. The curb protectors still stick out far past the rim.

As for traction, so far so good. Initial feel is they have better bite than the Pirrellis. Where the PZero's would spin and then bite on the 1-2 shift, I get a small chirp from the Indy 500's. Road noise has increased ever so slightly, but you really have to listen to notice a difference. With the radio on, you won't notice.

I'll test the traction a bit more later, but so far I feel these are a far better tire than the PZero.

The best part of it all, out the door price was $723. With the $60 mail in, all four tires are setting me back a grand total of $663!

Pics coming.

Last edited:
OP
OP
millhouse

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Last edited:
OP
OP
millhouse

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
OP
OP
millhouse

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Pics updated.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I ran my 500s as hard and as fast as I possibly could on my favorite back road and I'd give them a solid 9.5/10
I have two weeks on them now.

OP
OP
millhouse

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I just went for another spin and these 500s hands down hook better than the PZeros. I'll update this thread in another year when I have put 15k miles on them. If tread wear is as good as they claim, these will be my go-to tires from here on out.

bobbyh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Make sure they aren't the Indy 500 wide oval models. The newer models came out last year, so if they are indeed the newer style...they are at most a year old.
I verified these weren't the Indy 500 wide ovals from the seller and bought them off e-bay.

I received them and they are the Firehawk Indy 500 tires I wanted in 275/40/19. They were manufactured 11/16.

I am happy I got what I wanted as Tirerack told me 2-3 months for restock and my local Firestone dealer said they couldn't find 4 for me (which I'm not sure I believed). The only downside is I'm not eligible for the $60 rebate due to e-bay not being a retail seller. :mad:

OP
OP
millhouse

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I verified these weren't the Indy 500 wide ovals from the seller and bought them off e-bay.

I received them and they are the Firehawk Indy 500 tires I wanted in 275/40/19. They were manufactured 11/16.

I am happy I got what I wanted as Tirerack told me 2-3 months for restock and my local Firestone dealer said they couldn't find 4 for me (which I'm not sure I believed). The only downside is I'm not eligible for the $60 rebate due to e-bay not being a retail seller. :mad:
They are killer tires, you should love them. :thumbsup:

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Got my prepaid rebate card last night, took about 3 weeks from submission.
Sponsored