Sponsored

Firehawk Indy 500 no longer available in 255...245 ok?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I just spoke with Firestone and was informed they no longer make a 255 40 19 tire for the Indy 500 line. Has anyone stretched a 245 on the OEM performance pack 8.5 inch front wheels?
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
OEM PP wheels are 9", not 8.5", and a 245 is a little thin for it.

Firestone not making that size anymore is a dumb move.

OP
OP
millhouse

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
OEM PP wheels are 9", not 8.5", and a 245 is a little thin for it.

Firestone not making that size anymore is a dumb move.
Yep, totally forgot they were a 9". No way is that going to stretch. Dammit Firestone! They said they just didn't sell very well. Little do they no all of us Performance Pack folk are soon going to be looking for 255 front tires.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Yep, totally forgot they were a 9". No way is that going to stretch. Dammit Firestone! They said they just didn't sell very well. Little do they no all of us Performance Pack folk are soon going to be looking for 255 front tires.
They didn't sell well because they came out with them too late. People already got new tires on their Mustangs to replace the Pirelli's by the time these came out and they need to hang in there for the next round of Mustangs needing tires which will be plenty. They probably also forecasted to sell them in sets of 4, not 2. Plus Firestone advertising is a JOKE. This is an excellent tire and you hear NOTHING about it except for some forums. I'm also confident their reps are not taking care of tire shops because ZERO tire shops I spoke to recommend these, despite them being legitimately good tires.

bobbyh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
They didn't sell well because they came out with them too late. People already got new tires on their Mustangs to replace the Pirelli's by the time these came out and they need to hang in there for the next round of Mustangs needing tires which will be plenty. They probably also forecasted to sell them in sets of 4, not 2. Plus Firestone advertising is a JOKE. This is an excellent tire and you hear NOTHING about it except for some forums. I'm also confident their reps are not taking care of tire shops because ZERO tire shops I spoke to recommend these, despite them being legitimately good tires.
They must be a write off for another business; they are terrible at the marketing and business side of things.

They were out of two different sizes of Indy 500 tires I was looking at, everywhere online and local, with only a TBD for another batch to be made. In the beginning of a long driving season.

Talk about missing out on free money as I'm not the only one looking for the tires.

Guess I'll have to pay a bit more to get something that isn't even a better tire. :doh:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Go with a 265/40R19. You can also properly fit 275/40R19 on the 9" wheel, will just be a little fat.

OP
OP
millhouse

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
They must be a write off for another business; they are terrible at the marketing and business side of things.

They were out of two different sizes of Indy 500 tires I was looking at, everywhere online and local, with only a TBD for another batch to be made. In the beginning of a long driving season.

Talk about missing out on free money as I'm not the only one looking for the tires.

Guess I'll have to pay a bit more to get something that isn't even a better tire. :doh:
I'm looking at the BFG Sport Comp 2 Summer tire. They are around the same price but have slightly less dry traction. The do however have a 340 tread wear.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Firestone doesn't have the MDF (Marketing Development Funds) to run the same programs that Michelin etc run. They also position Bridgestone against Michelin, so they will get all of the MDF to push their greasy-after-one-heat-cycle garbage Potenzas.

More OE relationships (Bridgestone and Michelin basically own this on the high end) means more MDF as well. Firestone is a cheap brand that's marketed downward, so that's why you simply don't see them being pushed.

Couple that with the guys in the tire shop, who likely know very well how good they are, but they simply aren't being paid a SPIFF or other cash incentive to move it while Michelin or another brand will put money directly in their hand.

And you can probably replace the brand names above with any from any industry to figure out why one succeeds in the market and another doesn't.

Sponsored

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
I just got a set of these put on 3 weeks ago on my premium 5.0. 255/45/19s these are freaking awesome wayyyyy better in the wet than i expected and night and day difference than the junk p zeros.

Shockingly i got mine at a local firestone store when tirerack, amazon, ebay and NTB didnt have any in stock.

Finally i have a set of tires on this thing worthy of being on a 5.0 the p zeros were nust an embarassment.

OP
OP
millhouse

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I just got a set of these put on 3 weeks ago on my premium 5.0. 255/45/19s these are freaking awesome wayyyyy better in the wet than i expected and night and day difference than the junk p zeros.

Shockingly i got mine at a local firestone store when tirerack, amazon, ebay and NTB didnt have any in stock.

Finally i have a set of tires on this thing worthy of being on a 5.0 the p zeros were nust an embarassment.
You must have gotten one of the last sets. They searched all firestone stores nationwide and came up with 0 255s.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
june 1st they were put on. i found another set wayyy out in virginia. but i dont remember the firestone store id.

blows my mind middle of no where grandforks ND had a set.

i wasnt home so i called to have my wife drop the car off same day i talked to firestone.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=25009]millhouse[/MENTION] I think you'd be a lot happier on the Firestone than the BFG tire. No reason to worry about the slight difference in size of the 265 vs. the 255.

Sooty M.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP - Guard W/Black OTTS
Glad to hear I'm not the only one having difficulty. I cant find the 500s, ExtremeContact Sport, or MPS 4S in PP sizes. Looking for Ecsta PS91 now.

Is there some sort of foreign investment firm buying up all the mustang rubber!?
Sponsored