Sponsored

COMPETITION ORANGE S550 MUSTANG Thread

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
For shits and giggles I looked up CO Boss302's for sale and the nearest one to my location is about 400 miles. The nearest 2004 in CO is about 200 miles from me. No wonder I've never seen one in person, it is as if they don't exist in my area.
Sponsored

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
It is definitely too Red for Me. I like a more Primary Orange. This reminds me of Poppy Red from the early Mustangs. It's a shame. The pics of it where it looked like it almost had a Pearl to it and seemed to shift from a Yellow to a Reddish Orange looked Amazing!

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
It is definitely too Red for Me. I like a more Primary Orange. This reminds me of Poppy Red from the early Mustangs. It's a shame. The pics of it where it looked like it almost had a Pearl to it and seemed to shift from a Yellow to a Reddish Orange looked Amazing!
I think I'm with you. It is too close to red for me. I can foresee people saying "nice red car", "like that red color" and so on. Orange should be orange in my book, not tomato soup red. I will still try to see one in person but more photos than not I see it looks closer to red than orange. TY is still my first choice.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Ok, we've seen Race Red a million times, I thought this was the Comp Orange thread?? ;)

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
It is pretty close to "Poppy Red" aka "Calypso Coral".

I've had a '69 Mustang painted Calypso Coral since 1981 and ordered/bought a 2004 in Competition Orange. Go here to see a pic of the 2 cars together ...
http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/stangs-R-me-Deluxe-GT-Hardtop?page=7

The Calypso Coral is Dupont Centari Acrylic Enamel with no clear coat ... where Ford's 2004-up Competition Orange is a water based paint system and Clear Coated. Plus you have the 23 years difference between when the two paints were applied.
All those variations and the colors are pretty "close" with the cars parked side by side.

Doug

Sponsored

Proudgeek

OCD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Three Stangs
Strangely enough no I haven't. Its all Camaros and Challengers around here. Very few Mustangs and I don't remember any of the few local dealers in my area having CO on their lots when they were out. I really need to see this color in person as the picture variances are driving me crazy.
FTR, vibrant/performance red (ES) is even trickier when it comes to light.

For what they're worth, a few shots with competition orange (CY) and torch red (D3) with different light angles...

Both comp orange and torch red with the same light

Cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
I also attended the Portland Auto Show and viewed the Comp Orange Mustang. For those interested in this color, Smitty's first photo of the the car (above) is very true to what you can expect. Any portrayals of the car that appear reddish are not true to the actual color. My impression of the car and color was 'Meh'. I think I'll be shopping the 2015 F-150 Lariat instead this fall. I'm in the camp of those potential Mustang purchasers who preferred the more radical Euro renders for the Mustang. My 1973 Mustang Grande was more to my liking...except the frightening MPG of the 351 engine.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
[ame]

Diggitydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GHIG GT Vert
I hate to complain, but the amateur camera shake is just brutal. Makes this video borderline unwatchable. Only because the car is so cool did I finish it.

Sponsored

yanks1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT/Calif Special Vert
must say this Orange does not reflect the car lines as well as the darker colors.. at least to my eyes. I much perfer the darker colors, looks sleeker

2015 STANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Maybe its the lighting...Who knows.:shrug:

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
To me it is this color seems to photograph all over the place anywhere from a yellow orange to a near red. I've got to see it in person. But I don't think it will be anywhere near me for me to view.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
To me it is this color seems to photograph all over the place anywhere from a yellow orange to a near red. I've got to see it in person. But I don't think it will be anywhere near me for me to view.
It is. Just go to any car show and look at CO mustangs from mid 2000's or a boss.

I had one behind me the other day and thought "I love that color!". Then i removed my polarized glasses quickly reminded myself how flat, drab it looks in some lights.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
It is. Just go to any car show and look at CO mustangs from mid 2000's or a boss.

I had one behind me the other day and thought "I love that color!". Then i removed my polarized glasses quickly reminded myself how flat, drab it looks in some lights.
That is part of my problem. Car show season doesn't start around my area for a few months yet. There are literally NO CO Mustangs around my area. (I live in a very rural area.) And I live hours away from any car show that might come remotely close. If I could find a CO owner in my area, I'd love to meet up to inspect the color in person.
Sponsored