CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I have considered installing an aluminum drive shaft. Reading some of the negative threads on them has me hesitating. When I get up to 80+ mph I get a slight vibration with stock drive shaft. Not in the steering wheel but feels like the whole car. Looking in the rear view mirror at 80+mph the view is blurred. Don't think it's the rims or tires as it did the same thing with factory rims/tires. Had the new set road force balanced. Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
FYI: Steeda has numerous cases of people installing their rear IRS subframe braces and eliminating this vibration, including someone I know personally. BMR made the suggestion to one guy on this forum to shim the transmission mount .125", which looks to have solved his vibration. I would resolve your vibration before buying a driveshaft.

OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
FYI: Steeda has numerous cases of people installing their rear IRS subframe braces and eliminating this vibration, including someone I know personally. BMR made the suggestion to one guy on this forum to shim the transmission mount .125", which looks to have solved his vibration. I would resolve your vibration before buying a driveshaft.
I wonder if a body shop that does frame work could tell me if my drivetrain is aligned/out of alignment?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I took my car to an axle/differential shop and they checked angles and so on, so forth. Their measurements aligned with what Steeda has found on the numerous cars they've measured. They wanted to rebuild my Torsen (I went because two dealerships said my differential was normal but it would make so much noise). I eventually got the dealer to work on it and then I went with BG 75w90 fluid and it got better. It's even better with 75w140 fluid. I don't know enough about driveline angles to know what's good or bad, but when I lowered my engine .5" with Steeda engine mounts, a lot of remaining driveline clunk disappeared and my differential is now almost silent. I have no idea why... but very happy! But... none of that has to do with driveline vibration necessarily. :)

Oh, that axle shop also lambasted the OEM driveshaft saying the big rubber "guibo" could be an issue in the future if it degrades.

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
it's not your drive shaft OP... 80mph is higher than normal 55-65mph of a balance issue on rim/tire, but I would still be that's what it is.

Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
it's not your drive shaft OP... 80mph is higher than normal 55-65mph of a balance issue on rim/tire, but I would still be that's what it is.
My vibrated at 50-55 and 78+

I still have a small vibration at 50-55 with the stock back in.

I went to a drivetrain shop and they said my driveshaft was out of balance. I'll be putting it back in this weekend.

BMR said they've solved some of the vibration issues with the differential lockout kit. Others have shimmed thier transmission l cross member down or the cradle.

OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
The people you know who had vibration issues resolved with the Steeda subframe braces. Were their symptoms like mine? Vibration at 75+mph? Enough to blur objects in my rear view mirror. From what I can gather combing through the vibration threads I believe the best place to start is 1. Find out what the pinion angle is between the pinion flange and transmission. 2. Have the drive shaft checked to see if it is balanced. Confirming these two things I believe is the foundation to work out from. BMR has posted a lot of helpful information out there. So this is where I will start.

Last edited:

stavelystangs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang Gt Roushcharged
I had the aluminum DSS driveshaft installed on my 2016 Mustang GT, auto, Roush phase 2, with Steeda subframe connectors. I am at the point of taking it off and putting the stock shaft back on. My car vibrates from 50 up and it’s very annoying. I understand by clocking 180 degrees could possibly help, which I haven’t done yet and will do when I get time. Has this really resolved the vibration issue for anyone?

Last edited:

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I had the aluminum DSS drive shaft installed on my 2016 Mustang GT, auto, Roush phase 2, with Steeda subframe connectors. I am to the point of taking it off and putting the stock shaft back on. My car vibrates form 50 up and it’s very annoying. I understand by clocking 180 degrees could possibly help, which I haven’t done yet and will do when i get time. Has this really resolved the vibration issue for anyone?
It didn't fix mine. Shimming the cross member helped, but not enough.

Nos-pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT 5.0 A-10 Whipple Charged 989 RWHP....2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
I had the aluminum DSS driveshaft installed on my 2016 Mustang GT, auto, Roush phase 2, with Steeda subframe connectors. I am at the point of taking it off and putting the stock shaft back on. My car vibrates from 50 up and it’s very annoying. I understand by clocking 180 degrees could possibly help, which I haven’t done yet and will do when I get time. Has this really resolved the vibration issue for anyone?
Yes will help if haven't done it yet.

Sponsored

Nos-pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT 5.0 A-10 Whipple Charged 989 RWHP....2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
Have had an aluminum driveshaft for about a year when removed got slight vibes had it clocked 180 degrees and went away perfectly. Recent install brand new Ford performance torsen and 4:09 gears also Ford performance...since the gear and torsen install have a vibration 60+ mph I've went as high as 80mph and clocked it 180 degrees many times since and won't go away any suggestions?? Please help. Maybe torsen and 4:09s not compatible??

Old5.Oguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto
I had the DSS aluminum driveshaft in my 2019 for about 30 miles. Literally could not wait to rip it out and send it back. The vibrations from 65+ MPH were enough to make a French Whore blush. If you have any work done to your rear suspension, lock out kits, bushings, etc it will magnify the vibrations with a aftermarket driveshaft. Naturally DSS and other manufacturers fail to tell you this until after the fact. The stock one should be good to about 700 HP or so. So you may just be repeating your problems with a new driveshaft. Best of luck.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
My vibrated at 50-55 and 78+

I still have a small vibration at 50-55 with the stock back in.

I went to a drivetrain shop and they said my driveshaft was out of balance. I'll be putting it back in this weekend.

BMR said they've solved some of the vibration issues with the differential lockout kit. Others have shimmed thier transmission l cross member down or the cradle.
Were you able to figure this out ? I'm noticing vibrations around 85+ mph and it's really bad around 95-100 mph. I've balanced wheels like 3 times, just got a roadforce balance and alignment yesterday but no luck. I feel the vibrations in the driver floor well area but nothing through the steering wheel

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Were you able to figure this out ? I'm noticing vibrations around 85+ mph and it's really bad around 95-100 mph. I've balanced wheels like 3 times, just got a roadforce balance and alignment yesterday but no luck. I feel the vibrations in the driver floor well area but nothing through the steering wheel
I had same issues and rotated 180 it helped for me, but still felt vibration at 90. I think this is more of a racing part, than a daily part.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I had same issues and rotated 180 it helped for me, but still felt vibration at 90. I think this is more of a racing part, than a daily part.
Thanks, looks like 18+ cars have it too. I'll take it into dealer this week and see what they have to say
Sponsored