Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I'm about to do this install this weekend. I haven't seen the wiring setup behind the factory sub yet. I'd appreciate any additional info you could share? How many wires, what colors can I expect to see, which is positive/negative?

Thanks!
The enclosure had a simple push connector to the harness.
Inside the sub, there are 4 wires. 2 to each voice coil. Each side has a solid and striped wire. They have spade connectors. The larger spade is positive, little one is hegative.
Sponsored

kingofsting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Shadow Black / Redline Interior
I did something similar. I replaced my OEM tweeter with Kicker KST20 tweeters. I also replaced the OEM sub with an 8" Kicker sub, powered by a JL HX300/1. The amp is piggybacked off the OEM sub amp. I tapped the speaker wires from the OEM amp to the JL amp, and then sent the JL speaker wires back to the OEM sub wiring going into the OEM box

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Do you guys recommend changing the door speakers as well or is the just the tweeters and sub sufficient? I have the 12 speaker Shaker Pro system.

kingofsting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you guys recommend changing the door speakers as well or is the just the tweeters and sub sufficient? I have the 12 speaker Shaker Pro system.
I've had a full system in my old cars. I'm pretty happy replacing only the tweeters and sub in my 401A GT

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Good to know. I haven't thought the Shaker Pro sounds bad, just a little low on bass. Definitely nice to know I can just do a couple inexpensive upgrades without having to overhaul the whole sound system. I'll keep this in mind when the time comes.

Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Also a tweeter request, Kicker KTS25, removed the pillar, dremeled the stock mount and installed from the front. be SURE to use the supplied crossovers.
Quick question: if you're using all the stock wiring and stock amp, why do you need to use the supplied crossovers with the new tweeters? If you're using the stock amp and wiring, shouldn't the proper frequencies already be routed to each speaker?

OP
OP
Chef jpd

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question: if you're using all the stock wiring and stock amp, why do you need to use the supplied crossovers with the new tweeters? If you're using the stock amp and wiring, shouldn't the proper frequencies already be routed to each speaker?
The new tweeters would drill a hole through your brain without the supplied unit.
I think that it is also a resistor, as well as a bass blocker. The stock tweeters are such trash, the new ones have Much higher frequency response.

I guess depending on what tweeter you get, see how it sounds for yourself.

OP
OP
Chef jpd

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Phill The Greek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GTPP
It's a tiny little thing, I hot glued it to the back of the speaker magnet.
Plenty of room in that tweeter hole.
Yep, I realized that was a stupid question as soon as I hit enter. I was thinking of the massive crossovers from the 3-way components I installed back in the day.

Thanks again.

joeint

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang
Sub change

I posted this in the general forum, but it makes more sense here.

I have the 12 speaker shaker with the sub.
Decided the sub needed some help without getting crazy. Did a similar mod on my ST.
So,

Easy install, 3 torx screws at the bottom removes the faceplate, 3 more bolts and the sub is free.
Unplug harness, remove sub.
Remove the grill and unscrew the speaker.
There is one screw in the back holding the magnet. Remove that and the sub falls out.
It's a dual voice coil, so 4 wires.
Plug that hole on that back. I used that foamy 3m tape on both sides.
Purchase:
Rockford Fosgate Punch P3SD4-8
And RF P3S 8" grill
Amazon has both for around $110.

Drop that baby in, button it up and enjoy.

I had a request about the center speaker, so I figured I'd throw in the pic.
Its a Polk DB351, mounted from below the panel for tweeter clearance

Also a tweeter request, Kicker KTS25, removed the pillar, dremeled the stock mount and installed from the front. be SURE to use the supplied crossovers.
Thanks for posting I'll be doing this soon, how hard was it to get to the center speaker?

OP
OP
Chef jpd

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting I'll be doing this soon, how hard was it to get to the center speaker?
You have to pull off the fascia from the top of the glove box over to the vents.
Just yanks off.
Then pull up and forward and the grill comes off. You can see the mounting clips in the photo.
No tools needed, but trim removal tools will help.

Got to 0:58 of this video.
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Pf5427RiRmU

Aznjason02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Gt PP
I did something similar. I replaced my OEM tweeter with Kicker KST20 tweeters. I also replaced the OEM sub with an 8" Kicker sub, powered by a JL HX300/1. The amp is piggybacked off the OEM sub amp. I tapped the speaker wires from the OEM amp to the JL amp, and then sent the JL speaker wires back to the OEM sub wiring going into the OEM box
You don't get hum by doing this? Cause your technically running a amp off a amp?

kingofsting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't get hum by doing this? Cause your technically running a amp off a amp?
Haven't had any noise issues. Sub hits hard with the gain set near the minimum, and no bass boost. I typically use Spotify or my personal iTunes off my iPhone, plugged in, with the EQ set to Deep on both. Also, I keep the OEM eq at the factory setting.
Sponsored