Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
Euro 2016 Mustang Ecoboost MT Triple Yellow
I'm assuming the way cars are tested and the rules of the annual control on cars will be different from country to country (even within the EU). But since ''is that allowed during the annual control'' is the most common question I've been getting so far, I figured to go see what's what. So I met with a guy that actually performs the controls to see what the rules are in Belgium at this time. Since there's a lot of Belgians on here, I figured to post the info I got here too.

Turns out: you can basically forget anything that's on the official sites :lol: Classic Belgium. The rules have been changed a lot, but haven't updated the website for a decade. So here's a few of the most common mods I asked about:

1) window tinting: turns out there's no limit on the % as long it's the rear window, the small ones on the side and the car has side mirrors.

2) lights: the front lights have to be white or orange, the side LEDs orange and the rear orange or red. Changing the color of the bulbs is ok, but you can't cover them with any sort of foil. Then I asked about the sidemarkers: it’s no problem if they have another color (like the white, smoked or red once from Diode Dynamics), as long as the light still shines orange.

3) tires & wheels: the total diameter of the wheel+tire has to be within a certain range. The range is -2.0% till +1.5% of the original. Being:

27.0" for the front EB, rear EB and front GT.
27.7" for the rear GT

You can check if the size you want's OK here

The tires thread can't come past the fender. So a little bulge is fine, as long as the thread stays within the fenders. From seeing the spacers I’ve placed so far: everything 23mm further than stock in the rear and 25mm in front shouldn’t be a problem. Although spacers themselves aren’t allowed.

4) add-ons like spoilers, heat extractors in the hood, ...: as long it doesn't 'stick out', should be good. Spoilers can't have sharp edged. Heat extractors can be made in our hood, but only on the parts where it's only 1 layer of metal. So basically, don't cut supportive parts. The location of the US heat extractors f.e., would be good :thumbsup:

5) exhaust: turns out all these rules you find online about the decibels and diameters aren't applicable anymore. Kinda logic if you think about it, since they can't measure decibels properly in a room that noisy f.e.. So the only test they conduct concerning the exhaust is the emission test. Which is a test on the Lamda-value and CO content at idling for petrol cars.

So I took the test with my EB :ninja: exactly like you'd during a real control. Drove there like otherwise (which is sporty in my case :D) and set the COBB Accessport to see the catalyst's temperature. Which was just under 500*C at idling during the test and maxed 750*C driving there. I put the tune in Performance mode and the driving mode in Normal. Had to wait for around 15 minutes before it was my turn. Lamda-value was just over 1.00 and CO just over 0.00, which 'couldn't have been better' according to the tester. So in short: I'd have past the emission test.

I took the test with the following (relative to the engine) mods:

COBB Catted Downpipe (which has a high flow 200cell cat)
MF comp Cat-Back (which basically has no mufflers)
COBB CAI
COBB intercooler
UPR Dual Valve Catch Can

So the 200cell in the COBB cat clearly did as promised and got the CO out :thumbsup: I'm not sure till what extend the other mods make a difference, so if anybody smarter than me could chime in :lol:

NOTE: the only way you will 100% guaranteed will pass the annual control with any exhaust is if you get an EC-type one (like from Borla/Ford Performance), change the stock system back for the control or just keep the stock exhaust system. Cause a) the guy performing the control could have a bad morning b) who knows what the rules will be in 10 years.

Think that’s about it :) If I made any mistake, let me know and I'll correct it!

PS. as you probably already know, new cars only have to go in 4 years for the first time. This weekend I learned that if it passes than and still doesn’t have 100000K, you only have to go again 2 years after that. So most of us will only have to do 1 control in the first 6 years of ownership. :headbang:
Sponsored

Last edited:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
When you go get the inspection, put the OEM catback back on the car. Annoying, but not in-tolerable.

OP
OP
MustangMustHaves

MustangMustHaves

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
That's what I'd do to to be honest. Especially since it's only once in 6 years and I can use a lift :D. But since I had the question a few times now, I figured to test the emissions as well.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
The Netherlands:

No one gives a flying f*ck :)

Take whatever you want basically (without taking the piss) and you will be fine. Particularly if you know a friendly tester.

The only thing you will definitely need is a catalyst on the exhaust. TuV papers (or similar) not needed for mods.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I would love to live in The Netherlands - accepting adoptive parents or arranged marriages now.

Sponsored

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
I would love to live in The Netherlands - accepting adoptive parents or arranged marriages now.
You wouldnt want to pay the car prices though....

How does $130,000 grab ya for a GT ? :)

NicoMCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EU GT 2015
This is good to know. Thanks for the testing

Mine got an expertise for the suspensions, it seems they said nothing about the exhaust (swiss custom axle backs), white sidemarkers, they said nothing either. But ya they were only there to examine the suspension sooooo hum not sure how it would go with a real control.

NOTE: window tint is regulated in Switzerland and France. For Switzerland only the small side windows and the rear window are allowed and it has to be at least 70% transparent.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
I have a friend who works at the inspection, and even if its a 50km drive I will go there when my 4 years are passed. He will also check my modding wish-list before I go ahead with it.

2) lights: How are we supposed to do that? I was planning to get the smoked ones... so basically I cant connect the LED's right?

3) tires & wheels: Not much legal options for the EB then! Would love to lower it a bit and fill the fenders a bit...

5) exhaust: I was told the same, they don't measure the loudness! Sweet!

So a Catted Downpipe 3" is ok? Non muffled catback as well?
This one surprises me... I was told that I need to keep the 2 mufflers and the middle resonator if it was there on the original exhausts.

CAI & IC shouldn't be a problem I guess, not sure about the COBB Accessport though, since engine tuning is illegal here but as long as they don't see the device they can't now it.

My current wish list for the exhaust is a MAP 3" downpipe and the MF street or MBRP street, both don't have the EC stamp... any suggestions?

I can't keep my original exhaust at my dealer for years and years and I can't put it on here at home. Hang it on my garage wall is possible as a storage solution...

Last time I was at my dealer they had like 10 original exhausts pilled up, the owners didn't want them back.

Your suggestions on the Ford Performance or Borla is the same the dealer gives, but I don't like their sound so it's a no go for me...

What a mindfuck! :D

On a side note PJ, did you asked/informed about activating the 3 bars and sequential tails? thx

OP
OP
MustangMustHaves

MustangMustHaves

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
2) lights: How are we supposed to do that? I was planning to get the smoked ones... so basically I cant connect the LED's right?
It's the Diode Dynamics LED side markers you mean right? Those aren't a problem! Although the outside has a different color: cause it's not a foil and the LED shines still orange, the smoked shouldn't be a problem at all :thumbsup:

3) tires & wheels: Not much legal options for the EB then! Would love to lower it a bit and fill the fenders a bit...
On the stock rims, you're pretty limited indeed. But some nice aftermarket rims could hit 2 birds with one stone. Wider rears open up a lot more options, even within the 'allowed' limitations. I have 305/35R19 in the rear now. IMO looks awesome and is +1.5%. So spot on the maximum. But even wider is possible. I'd love to try 325/30R19 and lower it (cause 325/30R19 is a smaller total diameter than stock) after the 305's are dead.

Many don't seem to bother about the percentages too btw. But since there are some option within the regulation, I figured better sure than sorry :shrug: btw, technically if you'd get an accident, insurance would have to prove it was because you had tires too big/small.

If you got black wheels, they'll never see wheel spacers (if you'd want them) if they are black too. I'll post a picture of them on a customer's car! He said he's had spacers on all his cars, was never a problem.

5) exhaust: I was told the same, they don't measure the loudness! Sweet!

So a Catted Downpipe 3" is ok? Non muffled catback as well?
This one surprises me... I was told that I need to keep the 2 mufflers and the middle resonator if it was there on the original exhausts.
3" catted downpipe passed the emission test perfect! Note: Cobb's cat is a high quality 200cell cat. A lot of the aftermarket catted downpipes seem to be 100cell. Dunno about MAP, their site doesn't mention it :shrug: And 100cell might not do the trick, especially after a few years.

My current wish list for the exhaust is a MAP 3" downpipe and the MF street or MBRP street, both don't have the EC stamp... any suggestions?
If you would want to keep a resonator and 2 mufflers with a catted downpipe, did you ever considered Cobb's turboback? Haven't had time to post it yet (also cause it's chrome still and I want it powdercoated in gloss black before I post pictures :D) but I have it on mine now since last weekend (had the Cobb catted downpipe with stock connection & MF Comp Cat-Back) so if you want, you could always hear it in person, cause it's staying on!

(I'll post why I changed into the suiting thread :thumbsup:)

CAI & IC shouldn't be a problem I guess, not sure about the COBB Accessport though, since engine tuning is illegal here but as long as they don't see the device they can't now it.
Exactly! They can't test it nor see it.

I can't keep my original exhaust at my dealer for years and years and I can't put it on here at home. Hang it on my garage wall is possible as a storage solution...
I'm storing some for others too :thumbsup: Next to the summer/winter tires :D Inside, room temperatures all year round and dry.

On a side note PJ, did you asked/informed about activating the 3 bars and sequential tails? thx
Forgot about those :frusty: I'll ask!

RMS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 EB, custom pack
Annual Control

Any remarks made on lowering the car?

I'm assuming the way cars are tested and the rules of the annual control on cars will be different from country to country (even within the EU). But since ''is that allowed during the annual control'' is the most common question I've been getting so far, I figured to go see what's what. So I met with a guy that actually performs the controls to see what the rules are in Belgium at this time. Since there's a lot of Belgians on here, I figured to post the info I got here too.

Turns out: you can basically forget anything that's on the official sites :lol: Classic Belgium. The rules have been changed a lot, but haven't updated the website for a decade. So here's a few of the most common mods I asked about:

1) window tinting: turns out there's no limit on the % as long it's the rear window, the small ones on the side and the car has side mirrors.

2) lights: the front lights have to be white or orange, the side LEDs orange and the rear orange or red. Changing the color of the bulbs is ok, but you can't cover them with any sort of foil. Then I asked about the sidemarkers: it’s no problem if they have another color (like the white, smoked or red once from Diode Dynamics), as long as the light still shines orange.

3) tires & wheels: the total diameter of the wheel+tire has to be within a certain range. The range is -2.0% till +1.5% of the original. Being:

27.0" for the front EB, rear EB and front GT.
27.7" for the rear GT

You can check if the size you want's OK here

The tires thread can't come past the fender. So a little bulge is fine, as long as the thread stays within the fenders. From seeing the spacers I’ve placed so far: everything 23mm further than stock in the rear and 25mm in front shouldn’t be a problem. Although spacers themselves aren’t allowed.

4) add-ons like spoilers, heat extractors in the hood, ...: as long it doesn't 'stick out', should be good. Spoilers can't have sharp edged. Heat extractors can be made in our hood, but only on the parts where it's only 1 layer of metal. So basically, don't cut supportive parts. The location of the US heat extractors f.e., would be good :thumbsup:

5) exhaust: turns out all these rules you find online about the decibels and diameters aren't applicable anymore. Kinda logic if you think about it, since they can't measure decibels properly in a room that noisy f.e.. So the only test they conduct concerning the exhaust is the emission test. Which is a test on the Lamda-value and CO content at idling for petrol cars.

So I took the test with my EB :ninja: exactly like you'd during a real control. Drove there like otherwise (which is sporty in my case :D) and set the COBB Accessport to see the catalyst's temperature. Which was just under 500*C at idling during the test and maxed 750*C driving there. I put the tune in Performance mode and the driving mode in Normal. Had to wait for around 15 minutes before it was my turn. Lamda-value was just over 1.00 and CO just over 0.00, which 'couldn't have been better' according to the tester. So in short: I'd have past the emission test.

I took the test with the following (relative to the engine) mods:

COBB Catted Downpipe (which has a high flow 200cell cat)
MF comp Cat-Back (which basically has no mufflers)
COBB CAI
COBB intercooler
UPR Dual Valve Catch Can

So the 200cell in the COBB cat clearly did as promised and got the CO out :thumbsup: I'm not sure till what extend the other mods make a difference, so if anybody smarter than me could chime in :lol:

NOTE: the only way you will 100% guaranteed will pass the annual control with any exhaust is if you get an EC-type one (like from Borla/Ford Performance), change the stock system back for the control or just keep the stock exhaust system. Cause a) the guy performing the control could have a bad morning b) who knows what the rules will be in 10 years.

Think that’s about it :) If I made any mistake, let me know and I'll correct it!

PS. as you probably already know, new cars only have to go in 4 years for the first time. This weekend I learned that if it passes than and still doesn’t have 100000K, you only have to go again 2 years after that. So most of us will only have to do 1 control in the first 6 years of ownership. :headbang:

Sponsored

NewMustangDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Vehicle(s)
EU Mustang GT Fastback/Auto/Ruby Red/PP/Alarm
You are right in saying that every country is different, even so in the EU. For example (in my own experience):

UK - one can do pretty much anything one wants. As long as one passes MOT one is fine. The insurance company will have a field day though as one has to declare any "mods" and they will charge you greatly for anything. They even tried to charge for winter tyres but this was overturned by the Government.

Germany - papers, papers and yet more papers. They love that stuff! Rules made up to make sure people are employed by the system. For wheels, they need to be approved. If not, forget it! Suspension, the same. Sidemarkers...a sensitive area as some say TUV will fail your car while others not. Window tint - again, this needs to be approved while in theory one can basically put as dark tint as one wants (i have 80%, approved) from B-pillar backwards. Lots of other things that needs to be approved. However, insurance co does not need/want to know as long as the items are approved and within reason (ie not 24k Gold plated wheels that cost €50K!).

Weird world we live in!

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
shouldn't they give you a discount for having winter tyres? one would assume that would increase safety thus lowering their payouts...? though of course I could be making an ass out of u and me there :D

our checks up here are mostly mechanical and can be done by "anyone" authorised to run a garage by the gov't - so they won't be checking for "stock stuff" just seeing if it's within legal parameters...

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
It's the Diode Dynamics LED side markers you mean right? Those aren't a problem! Although the outside has a different color: cause it's not a foil and the LED shines still orange, the smoked shouldn't be a problem at all :thumbsup:
Yes sir, I wouldn't consider the LED's to shine orange though. Saw them this summer in person and looked like a line of red dots, but looked great!

On the stock rims, you're pretty limited indeed. But some nice aftermarket rims could hit 2 birds with one stone. Wider rears open up a lot more options, even within the 'allowed' limitations. I have 305/35R19 in the rear now. IMO looks awesome and is +1.5%. So spot on the maximum. But even wider is possible. I'd love to try 325/30R19 and lower it (cause 325/30R19 is a smaller total diameter than stock) after the 305's are dead.

Many don't seem to bother about the percentages too btw. But since there are some option within the regulation, I figured better sure than sorry :shrug: btw, technically if you'd get an accident, insurance would have to prove it was because you had tires too big/small.

If you got black wheels, they'll never see wheel spacers (if you'd want them) if they are black too. I'll post a picture of them on a customer's car! He said he's had spacers on all his cars, was never a problem.
Interesting to know, especially about the spacers on black wheels! On the other hand I would be happy already with 275 on the rears, but we discussed that before, right.

3" catted downpipe passed the emission test perfect! Note: Cobb's cat is a high quality 200cell cat. A lot of the aftermarket catted downpipes seem to be 100cell. Dunno about MAP, their site doesn't mention it :shrug: And 100cell might not do the trick, especially after a few years.
My choices for the MAP was merely for the sound, but I'm getting more and more confused if they actually produce any different sound than other brands like the COBB. But thanks for the tip on the 200cell though, I will keep that in mind.

If you would want to keep a resonator and 2 mufflers with a catted downpipe, did you ever considered Cobb's turboback? Haven't had time to post it yet (also cause it's chrome still and I want it powdercoated in gloss black before I post pictures :D) but I have it on mine now since last weekend (had the Cobb catted downpipe with stock connection & MF Comp Cat-Back) so if you want, you could always hear it in person, cause it's staying on!

(I'll post why I changed into the suiting thread :thumbsup:)
If they are not bothered with the resonator delete, I wouldn't see any reason to just add a catback.

I did/do consider the COBB turboback yes, but I'm a bit concerned about drawing a bit to much attention in my neighborhood... from the video's Ive seen & heard they might be a step to loud for me. They do look like impressive pipes though!

I'm storing some for others too :thumbsup: Next to the summer/winter tires :D Inside, room temperatures all year round and dry.
Something else than a wine cellar :thumbsup:

OP
OP
MustangMustHaves

MustangMustHaves

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
Sidemarkers: Hm... I couldn't say. Colorblind :D (honestly) But you know what, I've got them ordered and I'm going for smoked as well on mine. So I'll go check if those would be good for the inspection after I installed them :)

Tires: to many options :frusty: 285/35R19 could work though. Would fit many many wheels (not the stock 9" EB wheels though), is close to 275 and is only 0.4% off of the stock diameter.

I'll get you a pic of the spacers on the black wheels!

Downpipe: I haven't heard the MAP, but I can't imagine the sound to be to different. Same material (304SS), same diameter. Only thing that could probably make a difference is the cat. But again, not sure on other brands. Btw, youtube videos are awful to compare sound. I think they all sound awful on youtube.

Cat-Back: You name 2 of a few reasons why I'm keeping the Cobb. 1) I think the tips look awesome too 2) cause the cold start on the downpipe + MF comp was just to loud. And I like loud. I should start measuring decibels of all the different set-ups :D I tried filming a before and after to compare the COBB and MF, but my phone just can't handle it :tsk:

But if I were you, I'd definitely opt for a cat-back over an axle-back on the EB!

edit [MENTION=14076]Notes[/MENTION]: I drove an AT with MF Street (stock Downpipe) last week and I was surprised how quiet the exhaust goes while driving easy in the AT! Couldn't hear it at all. The lower RPM's? :shrug: Didn't really test it cause it wasn't my car and I might be biased cause of being used to the Comp though. But if your neighbors would complain about anything like the MF street, you'd have bad neighbors IMO.
Sponsored

Last edited: