Drone Recomendations for a Beginner?

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
I work for a small engineering firm and we're going to buy a drone help with some of the projects we work on. Down the road, if it becomes useful, we'll buy a high end one, but for now we just want something simple. Probably want to stay under $400. Must have a camera. GPS would be nice.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
I have a couple of toy ones that I enjoy, but am no expert. I would think it Really depends on exactly what you want to use it for. How high do you need to fly? What kind of video quality is acceptable?

I assume this would be too basic for your needs but I have the Nano 950HD. It's a basic toy grade drone that's available and Wal-Mart and Target.
http://www.amazon.com/Sky-Viper-V950HD-Definition-Vehicle/dp/B00XVPJC4G

The video quality on this one isn't bad for the price, but it's a bit shaky, and is a pretty low grade camera. This one also only flies about 300 ft or so before it's out of range. No GPS or Home mode.

If you search around on Hobby sites, and even Amazon, you'll find some higher end ones as well.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
DJI Phantom imo. Easy for beginners to learn on and master. Then step up to the pro drones. Watch for the phantom 3's to go on serious sale since 4 just got announced this week.

I just upgraded from a phantom 1 (had it for over 2 years with a gopro 3 and 4) to an inspire 1 pro (with zenmuse x5 4k camera) this week.... mind blown....

*obligatory post my video from my new drone that I just made* lol

[ame]https://vimeo.com/157532851[/ame]

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Why not build one? Can build a nice one for cheaper than you can buy it, and you can get something different than what you usually see. I'm building a V-Tail right now.

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
DJI Phantom as Kyber suggested

I think it's the easiest one to fly and has a lot of nannies built in to where you won't lose it if you run out of range

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stangnut

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
I have a couple of toy ones that I enjoy, but am no expert. I would think it Really depends on exactly what you want to use it for. How high do you need to fly? What kind of video quality is acceptable?

I assume this would be too basic for your needs but I have the Nano 950HD. It's a basic toy grade drone that's available and Wal-Mart and Target.
http://www.amazon.com/Sky-Viper-V950HD-Definition-Vehicle/dp/B00XVPJC4G

The video quality on this one isn't bad for the price, but it's a bit shaky, and is a pretty low grade camera. This one also only flies about 300 ft or so before it's out of range. No GPS or Home mode.

If you search around on Hobby sites, and even Amazon, you'll find some higher end ones as well.
Thanks for the recommendation, ATLalien. I think we're gonna go a little more advanced than that since it's for work.

OP
OP
Stangnut

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
DJI Phantom imo. Easy for beginners to learn on and master. Then step up to the pro drones. Watch for the phantom 3's to go on serious sale since 4 just got announced this week.

I just upgraded from a phantom 1 (had it for over 2 years with a gopro 3 and 4) to an inspire 1 pro (with zenmuse x5 4k camera) this week.... mind blown....

https://vimeo.com/157532851
Great video, Khyber! Thanks! (nice house , btw) I'm definitely leaning towards a DJI. Probably the Phantom 3 Advanced. It's only $799 now since the 4 came out.

One thing they don't make clear on their website is if you have to use your own tablet. Does it come with a display or do you provide your own? If so, how compatible is it with Android devices. I'd hate to have to have one single apple product just for the drone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stangnut

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Why not build one? Can build a nice one for cheaper than you can buy it, and you can get something different than what you usually see. I'm building a V-Tail right now.

If it was for my personal use, I'd consider building one, but since it's for work and it'll be a "starter" drone for us, I'd have too much to learn to decide what all to get.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Make sure you register it with the FAA/Gov't if it's over 1/2 lb in weight. Big fines if you get caught flying a drone that's not registered.

NowInSixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black,Sixth Gen, GT, Bad Arse

https://vimeo.com/157532851
WOW :eyebulge:

Sponsored

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
What happens when it goes out of range of your controller? (Specifically the Phantom 3) Does it just die, or does it come back?

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
well don't fly it out of range for one thing. on the app for tablets it will tell you all the signal strength but if it does drop it will fly back to it's home point where you took off. (it's supposed too...)

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
well don't fly it out of range for one thing. on the app for tablets it will tell you all the signal strength but if it does drop it will fly back to it's home point where you took off. (it's supposed too...)
Ah okay, that makes sense then. The Phantom 4 looks pretty impressive, but that price tag... I feel like I'd have a lot of fun playing with it the first couple days, and a few events but would wind up spending most of it's time in the closet lol.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
phantom 4 is cheap compared to my $4500 inspire 1 pro >_<

but I use it for business so it's justified.