Sponsored

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
why would I not be able to upgrade to the MFT with sync 3 since im already 2016?

if 2015 can go from base to sync 2 MFT, why cant a 2016 goto sync 3 MFT with the correct 2016 parts?
You most likely could do that with the correct 2016 hardware.

Let's make sure we are all on the same page with what the term "upgrade" means. There are two components to upgrading, hardware and software. A base system without the MFT can be upgraded to the MFT sync 2 system as that has already been proven. "Theoretically" a base Mustang whether it be a 15 or 16 model year, can be "upgraded" with a total hardware parts swap to the MFT Sync 3, it just hasn't been done yet.

What cannot be done is to take an existing MFT Sync 2 system and upgrade it to Sync 3 software. If you wanted to take a Sync 2 system and upgrade it to Sync 3 it would be the same path to take as the base car - a hardware swap. I do not know the exact details but at the very least it would be a head unit swap as the hardware for the two systems are completely different. Different processor, different touch screen technology, etc.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Ford knows how to fuck its customers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
How so?

I'm assuming you have a 2015 with with Sync 2? The hardware is underpowered to support Car Play, and you bought it without Car Play, why would Ford be obligated to someone retroactively support it[?] The time I even heard anything mentioned was after the introduction of the Sync 3 system, and even then, it was only a rumor - honestly, if Car Play didn't/doesn't come to the '16 Sync 3, I'm OK with that.

Don't get me wrong, it's a bummer to miss out on a nice feature by one model year, but improvements happen, technology moves on.

Deadmau5

Procharger p1 stage 2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15gt
How so?

I'm assuming you have a 2015 with with Sync 2? The hardware is underpowered to support Car Play, and you bought it without Car Play, why would Ford be obligated to someone retroactively support it[?] The time I even heard anything mentioned was after the introduction of the Sync 3 system, and even then, it was only a rumor - honestly, if Car Play didn't/doesn't come to the '16 Sync 3, I'm OK with that.

Don't get me wrong, it's a bummer to miss out on a nice feature by one model year, but improvements happen, technology moves on.
Right it does but it would be great if Ford offered a upgrade service for a minimal fee of returning your old headunits for a newer one and pay a fee I'm guessing. Doesn't seem undoable and the people getting stuck with a system that clearly wasn't very good to begin with. It's not bad but its not great either . I worked for Ford , trust me they knew sync 2 sucked

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Right it does but it would be great if Ford offered a upgrade service for a minimal fee of returning your old headunits for a newer one and pay a fee I'm guessing. Doesn't seem undoable and the people getting stuck with a system that clearly wasn't very good to begin with. It's not bad but its not great either . I worked for Ford , trust me they knew sync 2 sucked

Oh yeah, something like that would be cool - even some TV manufacturers like Samsung have made the "smart" portion modular so you can upgrade for way cheaper.

I feel for you man, there are those extra shitty times when you get caught between major tech advancements.

Sponsored

Zombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LFG GT350
Well hell. Time to upgrade my car. ;)

When do the order banks open up for 2017? :D

Bobstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Anniversary
How so?

Because if I even remotely thought this was coming I wouldnt have gotten my 2015 at all, and the head units are almost exactly the same from '15-'16, dont act like there is some sort of huge gap in technology.

For years they have been saying they werent going to let google in and foolishly we believed it, again if this was even rumored to be an option the second year of their brand new flagship redesign I would be willing to bet half the people would have waited just to avoid the BS from the current sync system.

Oh and there is a reason for comments to be disabled on their videos, they dont want all the negativity from their current system showing up that people complained about in the past

Deadmau5

Procharger p1 stage 2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15gt
Because if I even remotely thought this was coming I wouldnt have gotten my 2015 at all, and the head units are almost exactly the same from '15-'16, dont act like there is some sort of huge gap in technology.

For years they have been saying they werent going to let google in and foolishly we believed it, again if this was even rumored to be an option the second year of their brand new flagship redesign I would be willing to bet half the people would have waited just to avoid the BS from the current sync system.
You are exactly right lmao !! I love when people say technology vastly improved and in no way identical I worked there they new it sucked but even employees didn't know till it was to late that we'd get screwed on the touch screen system

SLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
and the head units are almost exactly the same from '15-'16, dont act like there is some sort of huge gap in technology.

Just because something is the same size and shape doesn't mean it's the same, let alone "exactly the same"
It has all new hardware, based on a dual-core CPU running at 1.7GHz (ARM Cortex 15) from Texas Instruments. The previous SYNC system ran on a single core CPU running at 600MHz (ARM Cortex A8) from Freescale, mft uses a resistive touch screen, sync 3 has capacitive touch screen which allows for multitouch which is needed for pinch to zoom. It's not just a simple software update to change from mft to sync 3. Now that doesn't mean you can't switch the hardware out but it's probably not cost effective.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Just because something is the same size and shape doesn't mean it's the same, let alone "exactly the same"
It has all new hardware, based on a dual-core CPU running at 1.7GHz (ARM Cortex 15) from Texas Instruments. The previous SYNC system ran on a single core CPU running at 600MHz (ARM Cortex A8) from Freescale, mft uses a resistive touch screen, sync 3 has capacitive touch screen which allows for multitouch which is needed for pinch to zoom. It's not just a simple software update to change from mft to sync 3. Now that doesn't mean you can't switch the hardware out but it's probably not cost effective.
Exactly.

"Hey, my iPhone 6S Plus is a black, rectangle, just like my iPhone3GS, they should be able to run the same software ..."

Umm, no.

I'm a developer, architect, writer in the tech sector for 25+ years, I get it: planned obsolescence, companies denying an OS feature because (according to them) the hardware is sub-par but when enabled through a hack works 90% effectively, major unexpected changes in product release cycles (see Apple's debacle with the same year release of the iPad 3 and 4).

It's a huge bummer that the early adopters [of 2015 models] are getting shafted, and that Ford for the short initial production couldn't get the new Sync system ready, or could have, but it was easier/cheaper/in their best interest (not the consumers) to use the Sync 2.

It's equally a shitty deal that car electronics aren't as modular as they could be, and it's not like a phone where you can say, OK, I'm just going to suck it up, I want NCF, because we're talking about a $35K purchase, not a $750 outlay.

If it wasn't for seeing 2015s on the road, I wouldn't have my car, so Ford, at the very least, pay the rolling advertisers something, like maybe a discounted Sync 3 kit with the proper plug-n-play harness :)

Side note: "Oh cash I guess, I mean, it's not deductible is it?"
Sponsored