Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to take the time and give you all a heads up with what we're doing with our 2015 mustang and how everything is progressing.

Friday November 14th we took our 2015 to Global Time Attack at button willow. The car is pretty much bone stock with a Magnaflow cat-back.

The objective was to set a baseline and feeling out all the changes that were going to be made. The base time was a 2 min 7 seconds. At button willow that's a respectable time for a 3800lb+(with driver) car with no modifications. I can pretty much guarantee this to be a sub 2 minute car with minor suspension changes, far below that with proper tires.

I'll do my best to give you all a fair assessment of the suspension, brakes, tires, and over all feel.

Suspension:

What can I say, this car is worlds better than the outgoing model. There are flaws with the car on the track however. The shocks can't hold up to the weight of the car being thrown from corner to corner. Dampening, dampening and more dampening. The track pack suffers from lack of rebound dampening. The situation got worse the longer I was on the track The spring rate wasn't as apparent as the bobbing from corner load to exit. Overall, The rear-end was very well planted an just took a couple laps to really start pushing the car.

Brakes:

The PP brembos were fantastic, no fade on the stock setup. they pad was matched very well for the small 255's in the front. A larger / stickier tire will most definitely require a more aggressive pad, steel lines and some fluid.

Tires:

To be fair here the Zeros are a fantastic tire in their segment. These tires like to be at 40 psi hot and are extremely predictable there. We're going to be moving to a square 285 hankook rs3 for the class we'll be competing in.

Over all feel:

Lots of fun, but needs some love for the track. Originally we ordered the car with recaros got impatient after the car was damaged by hail. Anyway, the stock seats are going to leave you burring your knee and bending the steering wheel to stay in control.

The Suspension isn't going to cut it an anyway if you want to put decent track times down. there is just not enough damping.

Tire compound and grip will help a lot with corner entry and sustained cornering. The Neros just howl as they get closer to there let loose point.

The Transmission still gets very sloppy for 5th gear when it gets hot. We've lost 5th gear on other track car with the same symptoms.

We already have some plans for modifications and I'll be posting them as we go with everything.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Great feedback! Thanks for sharing.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
What size Hankooks are you planning? Looking at the sizes availible, I didn't see any particuarly good candidates.

OP
OP

HBMike

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
285/35/20 or 285/35/18

20's are not optimal but the ratio is close. the 18s are cheaper but look funny.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Tires:

To be fair here the Neros are a fantastic tire in their segment. These tires like to be at 40 psi hot and are extremely predictable there. We're going to be moving to a square 285 hankook rs3 for the class we'll be competing in.

Typo? Meant to say Zeros? The Pirelli Nero is an all-season tire and the Mustang Performance Package comes with the summer PZero.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Buttonwillow is my favorite track in Socal, is the Mustang that you guys have an automatic or 6 speed?

Sponsored

Pie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0
Nice! Do you have any videos? I'm always curious how people take the lines

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I would have thought it would have been a little quicker. A stock Mazdaspeed 3 with stock tires can do a 2:09

OP
OP

HBMike

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I would have thought it would have been a little quicker. A stock Mazdaspeed 3 with stock tires can do a 2:09
lots of congestion, I could of shaved a second or two with a clean lap. The event was Super Lap Battle so people were pushing their cars and breaking them left and right. Being the car was bone stock and competing with only modified cars they would grid me in the back and i had to pass several people to get some decent times.

This car has a lot of mass and it definitely shows on the corner corrections. you can watch the hood bob up and down for a few seconds after you come out of a turn

OP
OP

HBMike

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I didn't know they had issues with heat. Sad to hear you had that issue with it being bone stock.
Yea the shifting wasn't the only issue. When pitting the trans wasn't telling the computer what gear it was in. So backing up the car wouldn't display the rear camera or the sensors until the car had cooled down for a while.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
285/35/20 or 285/35/18

20's are not optimal but the ratio is close. the 18s are cheaper but look funny.
Yes, the 18 are a bit shorter than I would like. I wouldn't want the extra weight & cost of the 20s. So the plan is for a square setup? Don't think the 305/30-19s can be made to fit without body mods?
Sponsored